Does no one else think microsoft does a poor job?

Honestly, I never have a problem that doesn't have to do with microsoft on my
computer. It is so damn frustrating. I have to download service packs and
fixes to solve one problem and ten more crop up.

Unfortunately, a lot of problems blamed on Microsoft actually do occur due
to non-Microsoft bugs. In the wireless world, a lot of problems are actually
due to bad drivers.

So let me take this time to say to everyone: If you are having a wireless
problem, especially if it seemed to start up after installing XP SP2 -
please make sure you are running the latest drivers/firmware for your
wireless hardware and make sure the 802.1x option in your network properties
is not active (unless you are really using 802.1x). Do not use hidden
SSID's. Stay away from "shared" authentication. And ... using AP's generally
works better than ad-hoc networking, though ad-hoc networking with Internet
Connection Sharing (ICS) can be a useful and inexpensive way to go wireless.

Aside from that... Is there a specific issue you need help with?

--
Standard Disclaimers -
and confers no rights. Please do not send e-mail directly

"Jeremy Lundgren" <JeremyLundgren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:D1B4A78B-5ABC-485F-9837-4308156A0183@microsoft.com...
> Honestly, I never have a problem that doesn't have to do with microsoft on
> my
> computer. It is so damn frustrating. I have to download service packs and
> fixes to solve one problem and ten more crop up.

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi

Almost all of problem involving Wireless stem from the Entry Level Brands.

Starting with Marketing claims that do not appear in cohort with reality,
and end up with buggy firmware and drivers.

If the manufacturer clearly states that the hardware is compatible with
WinXP WZC you might as well go with WCZ (AS an Example: Buffalo Tech. States
so.)

However some of the Wireless Stuff is sloppy and the manufacturer might not
bother to make sure that their Hardware/Software is compatible with WCZ.

So you try WCZ and if it is not working you do not know why, you call the
manufacturer support and they would tell you that they support their stuff
and not Windows OS. You call Microsoft and would try to help but you can not
hold them account to every manufacturer follies.

Before you know it you would feel like you are in Limbo.

My policy in lack of clear statement is to start with the manufacturer stuff
and make sure that the Hardware is in working condition. If it does not work
the manufacturer have to make it work, or RMA the hardware since you are
using their Hardware/Software solely. Once it is working you can try to
switch to WCZ, and as said above choose what seems to work best for you.

Jack (MVP-Networking).