IC7 Max 3 northbridge fan noise

Colin

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002

The fan on the northbridge heatsink has now developed in to a very
distracting noise, it's obviously becoming faulty. Is the heatsink good
enough to cool the northbridge chip without the fan? The noise is getting
unbearable and has now become a total distraction. My old Asus board had a
passive heatsink that worked just fine.

I'll just unplug the fan if the heatsink is good enough.

"Colin" <Se7enDELETE@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> The fan on the northbridge heatsink has now developed in to a very
> distracting noise, it's obviously becoming faulty. Is the heatsink good
> enough to cool the northbridge chip without the fan? The noise is getting
> unbearable and has now become a total distraction. My old Asus board had a
> passive heatsink that worked just fine.
>
> I'll just unplug the fan if the heatsink is good enough.

If you are in the UK, send an Email to technical@abitcomputer.co.uk and they
will send instructions for obtaining a replacement.

I sent them a jiffy-bag with details of my motherboard and the replacement
fan arrived in 3 days.

My original fan was small and held to the board with 4 clips, the
replacement had a larger heatsink and is held with 2 spring clips. The new
fan still fits on the board with my Zalman 'flower'.

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

I would not run without the fan, personally...

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
over 130,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

"Colin" <Se7enDELETE@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> The fan on the northbridge heatsink has now developed in to a very
> distracting noise, it's obviously becoming faulty. Is the heatsink good
> enough to cool the northbridge chip without the fan? The noise is getting
> unbearable and has now become a total distraction. My old Asus board had a
> passive heatsink that worked just fine.
>
> I'll just unplug the fan if the heatsink is good enough.

I have a fan controller on mine and turning the fan rpm down from 5600 to
1200rpm made absolutely no difference in the temperature reported by
Speedfan for the NB fan. I'm fairly convinced that the NB fan is bling
bling. Should the bloody thing fall off again I shan't bother to replace it
with anything other than a heatsink.

h2so4 wrote:
> I have a fan controller on mine and turning the fan rpm down from 5600 to
> 1200rpm made absolutely no difference in the temperature reported by
> Speedfan for the NB fan. I'm fairly convinced that the NB fan is bling
> bling. Should the bloody thing fall off again I shan't bother to replace it
> with anything other than a heatsink.

Interesting ...

Mite an alt/independant 'temp' verification be in order, just to be sure
???

'Bling bling' ... just recently made the NOD, if I'm correct.
I keep looking for "knee wobbler" to make it ... to no avail.

Qed.

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

I might be wrong but I don't think there is an NB temperature sensor. if
that is true, then you don't have any real idea what impact slowing that fan
down has on the NB.

--

"h2so4" <elly.fant@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> I have a fan controller on mine and turning the fan rpm down from 5600 to
> 1200rpm made absolutely no difference in the temperature reported by
> Speedfan for the NB fan. I'm fairly convinced that the NB fan is bling
> bling. Should the bloody thing fall off again I shan't bother to replace
it
> with anything other than a heatsink.

Slug

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 16:24:21 -0400, "TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net>
wrote:

>I might be wrong but I don't think there is an NB temperature sensor. if
>that is true, then you don't have any real idea what impact slowing that fan
>down has on the NB.

My IC7 shows three temps, cpu, system and PWM. I don't know what PWM
means but I assumed it was the NB temp, did I assume wrong?

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

PWM is the Pulse Width Modulated voltage regulator that supplies critical
core voltages for the CPU.

--

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 07:03:05 -0400, "TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net>
wrote:

>PWM is the Pulse Width Modulated voltage regulator that supplies critical
>core voltages for the CPU.

Ah, ok, thx. I guess it doesn't monitor the NB temp then.

Hi Tom,

I had assumed that the PWM temp was the NB temp. Perhaps slowing or removing
the fan may increase the NB temp. My system shows no ill effects or
instability with my fan speed turned down to it's minimum. I note that Intel
and many other boards with the 875/865 chipset have passive cooling on the
NB. Given the quirks of the Abit IC7 series, including the NB fan assembly
that is prone to falling off, I tend to believe that Intel probably knows
best on this issue. But I could be wrong as I've been wrong once or twice
before in my life. ;-)

Slug

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 15:49:57 +0100, "h2so4"
<elly.fant@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi Tom,
>
>I had assumed that the PWM temp was the NB temp. Perhaps slowing or removing
>the fan may increase the NB temp. My system shows no ill effects or
>instability with my fan speed turned down to it's minimum. I note that Intel
>and many other boards with the 875/865 chipset have passive cooling on the
>NB. Given the quirks of the Abit IC7 series, including the NB fan assembly
>that is prone to falling off, I tend to believe that Intel probably knows
>best on this issue. But I could be wrong as I've been wrong once or twice
>before in my life. ;-)

I think Intel knows what they are doing too. :)
I would replace the Abit NB HSF with this though if you want it really
quiet and not have to be concerned about the NB being too warm.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=10205&vpn=ZM-NB47J

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

I don't claim to know what is "best" or accurate in this situation either.
I was only noting that I don't believe that the NB has a direct temperature
monitor...