New and older Opterons

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.m-tech (More info?)

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a high end opteron board, but before i shell
out the money i want to make sure that it'll be good for a while. Last
week i was reading an article in PcMag which talked about the timeline
for CPUs over the next two years(i'm starting to realize they put out
this article every year around now). Anyway, i was reading about the
new opterons slated to come out in the 4th Quarter of this year
codenamed Venus Troy and Athens for the 100, 200, and 800 series
respectively. Will motherboards out now be able to use these cpus? If
so will they also be able to us the next update codenamed Denmark
Italy and Egypt? I can't imagine the latter would be true, or anybody
would know at this time, but i'm curious about the first thing.

thx for the help,

dan

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.m-tech (More info?)

Highly likely for AMD's sales sake. I doubt about the second series tough,
as that is well ahead in future. Opterons are made for being flexible, so
it's most likely support the same board. Amd won't want people to spend so
much money on mobo, as these cpu's already cost a bit. Seeing how long
socketA is running for now, i don't think you need to worry any more from
AMD side. Has it been intel, i would be very much more concerned.
However, I have'nt heard any official words on it yet.