Qweschun: 3 hole/clip HSF ? (broken 370 socket)

Hi all,

ok, I have a cracked/sheared/broken HSF mounting clip. The recommendation
was to get a fan with three mounting 'holes' or something like that. Sorry
to sound clueless here, but I don't think I understand. The alternate path
would be to send it back for repairs, which would be time consuming for both
of us. I can drill it myself, but I would (no doubt) find a way to drive
the screw into taps that would rather not be shorted together <heheh>).

Can anyone tell me what it is that I am looking for? Apparently, most
Athlon HSF's use this method on SlotA. I have a slot A and do not see the
difference (name-brand Huge twin fan, can't remember anymore what it was
called).

Thanx for any guidance

--
carpe` cervesi
knf

    I might be able to help, but I dont know what is broken. You topic seems
    to point at the socket being broken, but your post seems to be about the
    mounting clip on the heatsink.

    What exactly is broken the clip on the heatsink or the socket on the
    motherboard?

    >he recommendation
    >was to get a fan with three mounting 'holes' or something like that.

    That recommendation would be for a broken middle socket tab. Some heatsinks
    only use the middle tab on the socket. If you broke the middle tab then you
    could get a heatsink that uses all three of the tabs and it could still be
    used. At least that's what I am getting from this.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    exactly - the 'middle' or standard tab is the broken one. Sorry, I hang
    around here a bit, and expected the reply to be from one of the regulars.
    You are familiar with a heat sink/HSF that has more connectors, I am not.
    Do you know of some (reasonably priced, with some luck) firm that sells this
    multi-point/hole fan?

    thanx

    knf

    "PRIVATE1964" <private1964@aol.com> wrote in message
    > I might be able to help, but I dont know what is broken. You topic
    seems
    > to point at the socket being broken, but your post seems to be about the
    > mounting clip on the heatsink.
    >
    > What exactly is broken the clip on the heatsink or the socket on the
    > motherboard?
    >
    > >he recommendation
    > >was to get a fan with three mounting 'holes' or something like that.
    >
    > That recommendation would be for a broken middle socket tab. Some
    heatsinks
    > only use the middle tab on the socket. If you broke the middle tab then
    you
    > could get a heatsink that uses all three of the tabs and it could still be
    > used. At least that's what I am getting from this.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Just look for a heatsink with a "triple clip". Taisol's Socket
    370 heatsinks have them, e.g.:
    http://www.taisol.com/coolers_intel.html

    Rick

    "Phr3d" <Gwaihir@Orthanc.com> wrote in message news:20040409035355.841$as@news.newsreader.com...
    > exactly - the 'middle' or standard tab is the broken one. Sorry, I hang
    > around here a bit, and expected the reply to be from one of the regulars.
    > You are familiar with a heat sink/HSF that has more connectors, I am not.
    > Do you know of some (reasonably priced, with some luck) firm that sells this
    > multi-point/hole fan?
    >
    > thanx
    >
    > knf
    >
    > "PRIVATE1964" <private1964@aol.com> wrote in message
    > > I might be able to help, but I dont know what is broken. You topic
    > seems
    > > to point at the socket being broken, but your post seems to be about the
    > > mounting clip on the heatsink.
    > >
    > > What exactly is broken the clip on the heatsink or the socket on the
    > > motherboard?
    > >
    > > >he recommendation
    > > >was to get a fan with three mounting 'holes' or something like that.
    > >
    > > That recommendation would be for a broken middle socket tab. Some
    > heatsinks
    > > only use the middle tab on the socket. If you broke the middle tab then
    > you
    > > could get a heatsink that uses all three of the tabs and it could still be
    > > used. At least that's what I am getting from this.

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 21:54:23 -0500, "Phr3d" <Gwaihir@Orthanc.com>
    wrote:

    >Hi all,

    >ok, I have a cracked/sheared/broken HSF mounting clip. The recommendation
    >was to get a fan with three mounting 'holes' or something like that. Sorry
    >to sound clueless here, but I don't think I understand. The alternate path
    >would be to send it back for repairs, which would be time consuming for both
    >of us. I can drill it myself, but I would (no doubt) find a way to drive
    >the screw into taps that would rather not be shorted together <heheh>).

    >Can anyone tell me what it is that I am looking for? Apparently, most
    >Athlon HSF's use this method on SlotA. I have a slot A and do not see the

    Clarification, please ' slot A ', you do mean an old slot ( Slocket
    Interface ) not socket - do you?

    >difference (name-brand Huge twin fan, can't remember anymore what it was
    >called).

    >Thanx for any guidance
    BoroLad
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    > You are familiar with a heat sink/HSF that has more connectors, I am not.
    > Do you know of some (reasonably priced, with some luck) firm that sells
    this
    > multi-point/hole fan?

    You could ask at your local hardware store for such a HSF. They should have
    it, it's very common now, with fast and hot cpu's, HSF are getting too heavy
    to held by only 2 notches.
    IF you can't find any 3-hole clip for socket 370, see if you can find a
    cheap one for socket A. Then use it's clip (and not heatsink) on your
    regular heatsink, it should fit in most casses.
    Good luck
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    That did the trick. Thanx for the "point me right to it" reply, I wasn't
    even sure what to enter as a search string.

    ken

    "Rick" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > Just look for a heatsink with a "triple clip". Taisol's Socket
    > 370 heatsinks have them, e.g.:
    > http://www.taisol.com/coolers_intel.html
    >
    > Rick
    >
    > "Phr3d" <Gwaihir@Orthanc.com> wrote in message
    > > exactly - the 'middle' or standard tab is the broken one. Sorry, I hang
    > > around here a bit, and expected the reply to be from one of the
    regulars.
    > > You are familiar with a heat sink/HSF that has more connectors, I am
    not.
    > > Do you know of some (reasonably priced, with some luck) firm that sells
    this
    > > multi-point/hole fan?
    > >
    > > thanx
    > >
    > > knf
    > >
    > > "PRIVATE1964" <private1964@aol.com> wrote in message
    > > > I might be able to help, but I dont know what is broken. You
    topic
    > > seems
    > > > to point at the socket being broken, but your post seems to be about
    the
    > > > mounting clip on the heatsink.
    > > >
    > > > What exactly is broken the clip on the heatsink or the socket on the
    > > > motherboard?

    > > > That recommendation would be for a broken middle socket tab. Some
    > > heatsinks
    > > > only use the middle tab on the socket. If you broke the middle tab
    then
    > > you
    > > > could get a heatsink that uses all three of the tabs and it could
    still be
    > > > used. At least that's what I am getting from this.

Fan Socket Motherboards