canon printheads

I've got 2 broken canons.

I had no idea that the 600 and the 520 used the same printhead. So when the
600 printhead went I bought a 520, supposedly with a rebate but one that the
company (not canon) didn't honor.

I've corresponded with canon tonight after trying every possible fix on both
printheads and suddenly getting the error code of 7 orange flashes.

This is just one of their repl:ies

> Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, the print head is a sealed
> unit and cannot be reset. The print head is a consumable unit that
> requires replacement periodically, usually between 12 to 15 months. We
> regret any inconvenience this may cause.

Do you find it acceptable that a printer is disposable after 12 to 15 months
because the printhead costs more than a new printer? I DON'T!
17 answers Last reply
More about canon printheads

    On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 21:37:16 -0500, "Betsy" <n0spam@spam.c-0> wrote:

    >I've got 2 broken canons.
    >
    >I had no idea that the 600 and the 520 used the same printhead. So when the
    >600 printhead went I bought a 520, supposedly with a rebate but one that the
    >company (not canon) didn't honor.
    >
    >I've corresponded with canon tonight after trying every possible fix on both
    >printheads and suddenly getting the error code of 7 orange flashes.
    >
    >This is just one of their repl:ies
    >
    >> Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, the print head is a sealed
    >> unit and cannot be reset. The print head is a consumable unit that
    >> requires replacement periodically, usually between 12 to 15 months. We
    >> regret any inconvenience this may cause.
    >>
    >Do you find it acceptable that a printer is disposable after 12 to 15 months
    >because the printhead costs more than a new printer? I DON'T!

    There are a variety of hi-tech products which are normally discarded
    rather than repaired (VCRs for one). The economics is actually
    fairly basic: Labor cost. The labor to assemble a printer on an
    assembly line (in a country with low wages) is a small fraction of the
    labor cost to just DIAGNOSE a failure.

    You of course have the option of buying the part and fixing yourself,
    or buying a new printer.

    Remember that printers are loss-leaders. The mfgs make their money on
    ink and paper.

    To save moeny in the long run:

    buy used or refurbished or close-out specials
    never buy extended warranties
    buy 3rd party ink
    when it dies, invest 1 hour in fixing it before dumping and buying
    another

    Caution: If we ALL do this, Epson and Canon will go under. (HP will
    still own the corporate market.)
    **************************
    Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
    Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

    Yeah, I've spent WELL over an hour on trying to fix it and it just isn't
    worth it!

    But it just stinks that Canon makes them to break.

    So what do I buy for a decent inkjet that won't cost a bundle and will last
    more than a year?

    And what do I do with the printers that are accumulating behind me as we
    speak? Is there somewhere to sell them to recoup some of the cost--albeit
    very little?

    On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 22:39:04 -0500, "Betsy" <n0spam@spam.c-0> wrote:

    >Yeah, I've spent WELL over an hour on trying to fix it and it just isn't
    >worth it!
    >
    >But it just stinks that Canon makes them to break.

    Canon does not make them break---they make the best they can to
    compete in a very tough market. My wife's Canon 600 is going like a
    champ.

    All hi-tech stuff has problems. As I said, if you dont want the
    hassle, get rid of it and start fresh.

    I doubt if the Canons have much value--I would donate and write
    off---This way you get the benefit of doubt as the the value.

    >So what do I buy for a decent inkjet that won't cost a bundle and will last
    >more than a year?
    >
    >And what do I do with the printers that are accumulating behind me as we
    >speak? Is there somewhere to sell them to recoup some of the cost--albeit
    >very little?

    I've had very good luck with Epson. If you are doing 4-color, then
    there are a huge range of choices, including HP. (Some of the HP
    business inkjets are bulletproof)
    **************************
    Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
    Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

    That is why I buy HP inkjet printers. Every ink cartridge contains a new
    print-head, built in the cartridge!

    Bill Crocker

    "Betsy" <n0spam@spam.c-0> wrote in message
    > I've got 2 broken canons.
    >
    > I had no idea that the 600 and the 520 used the same printhead. So when
    the
    > 600 printhead went I bought a 520, supposedly with a rebate but one that
    the
    > company (not canon) didn't honor.
    >
    > I've corresponded with canon tonight after trying every possible fix on
    both
    > printheads and suddenly getting the error code of 7 orange flashes.
    >
    > This is just one of their repl:ies
    >
    > > Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, the print head is a sealed
    > > unit and cannot be reset. The print head is a consumable unit that
    > > requires replacement periodically, usually between 12 to 15 months. We
    > > regret any inconvenience this may cause.
    > >
    > Do you find it acceptable that a printer is disposable after 12 to 15
    months
    > because the printhead costs more than a new printer? I DON'T!

    man, I have had canon's for years....never had a print head go bust....there
    is a cleaning process (off the printer) to remove the sludge etc..

    Mango
    "Bill Crocker" <wcrocker007@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > That is why I buy HP inkjet printers. Every ink cartridge contains a new
    > print-head, built in the cartridge!
    >
    > Bill Crocker
    >

    > "Betsy" <n0spam@spam.c-0> wrote in message
    > > I've got 2 broken canons.
    > >
    > > I had no idea that the 600 and the 520 used the same printhead. So when
    > the
    > > 600 printhead went I bought a 520, supposedly with a rebate but one that
    > the
    > > company (not canon) didn't honor.
    > >
    > > I've corresponded with canon tonight after trying every possible fix on
    > both
    > > printheads and suddenly getting the error code of 7 orange flashes.
    > >
    > > This is just one of their repl:ies
    > >
    > > > Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, the print head is a sealed
    > > > unit and cannot be reset. The print head is a consumable unit that
    > > > requires replacement periodically, usually between 12 to 15 months.
    We
    > > > regret any inconvenience this may cause.
    > > >
    > > Do you find it acceptable that a printer is disposable after 12 to 15
    > months
    > > because the printhead costs more than a new printer? I DON'T!

    ---

    Betsy wrote:

    > Yeah, I've spent WELL over an hour on trying to fix it and it just isn't
    > worth it!
    >
    > But it just stinks that Canon makes them to break.
    >
    > So what do I buy for a decent inkjet that won't cost a bundle and will last
    > more than a year?

    snip

    Canon or any other company don't make them to break. There is a limit on
    quality affected by intended selling price. I would expect a $200 printer would
    be of higher qlty than a $100 one but not as good as one selling for $300.
    Additionally printers typ sell at cost with hopes of future profits from sale of
    supplies.

    The qlty of print images on todays printers are far better than that found 10-15
    yrs ago yet the equipment is selling for a fraction of the older models.

    Simple understanding of business and manufacturing technology makes this fairly
    clear. When undertaking a purchase of this type take a look at the MTBF figures
    to see how much more expected life you can expect to see with more expensive
    models. Might even want to do a little math. $/MTBF = cost per hr between
    projected failures.

    Mickey

    On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 21:37:16 -0500, "Betsy" <n0spam@spam.c-0> wrote:

    >I've got 2 broken canons.
    >
    >I had no idea that the 600 and the 520 used the same printhead. So when the
    >600 printhead went I bought a 520, supposedly with a rebate but one that the
    >company (not canon) didn't honor.
    >
    >I've corresponded with canon tonight after trying every possible fix on both
    >printheads and suddenly getting the error code of 7 orange flashes.
    >
    >This is just one of their repl:ies
    >
    >> Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, the print head is a sealed
    >> unit and cannot be reset. The print head is a consumable unit that
    >> requires replacement periodically, usually between 12 to 15 months. We
    >> regret any inconvenience this may cause.
    >>
    >Do you find it acceptable that a printer is disposable after 12 to 15 months
    >because the printhead costs more than a new printer? I DON'T!

    That is what has put me off a Canon as I have been hearing similar stories
    that the print head does not last..

    I will be interest in the new EU Laws that things have to have a 2 year
    warrantee.

    Wow, go EU! I'm sure that will help the quality issue enormously.

    <puss@purrpurr.com> wrote in message
    > I will be interest in the new EU Laws that things have to have a 2 year
    > warrantee.

    --------------------------
    > Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments
    that take our breath away. (George Carlin)

    Neither do I: my 20-month old S820D has just started printing fine white
    lines across all prints and the UK helpdesk suggests I need a new printhead
    (only 1 supplier in UK as far as I can tell). The man on the 'phone
    kindly(!) said I might consider a new printer instead.
    There's something seriously wrong with a manufacturer whose - expensive -
    products have a designed life of no more than 2 years.

    regards,
    Richard

    "Betsy" <n0spam@spam.c-0> wrote in message
    [snip]

    in article Da8cc.27486$h44.3788084@stones.force9.net, mutley at
    alias@ktskl.plus.com wrote on 4/5/04 3:31 AM:

    > Neither do I: my 20-month old S820D has just started printing fine white
    > lines across all prints and the UK helpdesk suggests I need a new printhead
    > (only 1 supplier in UK as far as I can tell). The man on the 'phone
    > kindly(!) said I might consider a new printer instead.
    > There's something seriously wrong with a manufacturer whose - expensive -
    > products have a designed life of no more than 2 years.
    >
    > regards,
    > Richard

    I once spoke with an engineer working in a company that manufactured chain
    saws. He told me that those produced for sale in cut-rate chain stores were
    designed with a life expectancy of 72 hours. Actually that is more than most
    people will eve use a chain saw.
    LP

    WHAT is your best resolution for printing with a chain saw??

    :
    : I once spoke with an engineer working in a company that manufactured chain
    : saws. He told me that those produced for sale in cut-rate chain stores
    were
    : designed with a life expectancy of 72 hours. Actually that is more than
    most
    : people will eve use a chain saw.
    : LP
    :

    Hi Betsy
    On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 21:37:16 -0500, "Betsy" <n0spam@spam.c-0> wrote:

    Get in contact with Fred Keen at fkeen@repeatotype.com
    and ask him aout his cleaning kits for the BJC600 series printers.
    You'll find him extremely helpful as I found him to be here in the
    UK. and the routine to clean the printheads is easy to carry out.

    >I've got 2 broken canons.
    >
    >I had no idea that the 600 and the 520 used the same printhead. So when the
    >600 printhead went I bought a 520, supposedly with a rebate but one that the
    >company (not canon) didn't honor.
    Regards.

    Jim Down by the River Plym.
    www.jkindon.freeserve.co.uk.
    A reply to an offer of help is always courteous
    Thank You.

    Thanks, but I gave up. I think I'll donate the printers to somebody. I got
    a Lexmark all in one for $78 at Wal-Mart and if it lasts a year it's still
    less than I paid for the canon. It's nice, prints well (SLOW), copies FAST
    and scans like a dream, although I use my old graphics editing software
    which is much more versatile.

    <alias@ktskl.plus.com> writes
    >Neither do I: my 20-month old S820D has just started printing fine white
    >lines across all prints and the UK helpdesk suggests I need a new printhead
    >(only 1 supplier in UK as far as I can tell). The man on the 'phone
    >kindly(!) said I might consider a new printer instead.
    >There's something seriously wrong with a manufacturer whose - expensive -
    >products have a designed life of no more than 2 years.
    >
    >regards,
    >Richard
    >
    >"Betsy" <n0spam@spam.c-0> wrote in message
    >[snip]
    >> > Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, the print head is a sealed
    >> > unit and cannot be reset. The print head is a consumable unit that
    >> > requires replacement periodically, usually between 12 to 15 months. We
    >> > regret any inconvenience this may cause.
    >> >
    >> Do you find it acceptable that a printer is disposable after 12 to 15
    >months
    >> because the printhead costs more than a new printer? I DON'T!

    Who is the UK supplier mentioned in your thread? If there is only one it may be
    useful to know.

    Many thanks

    Ken Collings

    As to the canon print head. I have one also that gives 7 orange flashes. It
    is NOT fixable by cleaning or any other means. When mine first started doing
    it , I found that if I removed the head and rubbed hard on the top of the
    ribbon cable where it is glued to the green circuit board. That fixed it for
    a week then it started again, I kept doing this for about 1 month then it
    would not work anymore. I suspect that one of the wires in the cable gets
    open and you get a bad connection to the head. I bet that if they use a
    ribbon cable connector like on other devices, instead of a friction
    connection that wouldn't fail.

    As for the Lexmark. It has the highest print per page of any printer, if you
    buy the cart's. They give away the printer and have the highest price for
    replacement cart's of any printer. They even tried to sue a company using
    the DCMA for making a compatible cart. To protect their prices.

    > Thanks, but I gave up. I think I'll donate the printers to somebody. I
    got
    > a Lexmark all in one for $78 at Wal-Mart and if it lasts a year it's still
    > less than I paid for the canon. It's nice, prints well (SLOW), copies
    FAST
    > and scans like a dream, although I use my old graphics editing software
    > which is much more versatile.
    >
    > "Jim " <jim@NOSPAM.jkindon.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > Hi Betsy
    > > On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 21:37:16 -0500, "Betsy" <n0spam@spam.c-0> wrote:
    > >
    > > Get in contact with Fred Keen at fkeen@repeatotype.com
    > > and ask him aout his cleaning kits for the BJC600 series printers.
    > > You'll find him extremely helpful as I found him to be here in the
    > > UK. and the routine to clean the printheads is easy to carry out.
    > >
    > > >I've got 2 broken canons.
    > > >
    > > >I had no idea that the 600 and the 520 used the same printhead. So
    when
    > the
    > > >600 printhead went I bought a 520, supposedly with a rebate but one
    that
    > the
    > > >company (not canon) didn't honor.
    > > Regards.
    > >
    > > Jim Down by the River Plym.
    > > www.jkindon.freeserve.co.uk.
    > > A reply to an offer of help is always courteous
    > > Thank You.

    Really...sounds like giving youu the nadle for the blades, and raping you on
    the blades themselfs..

    Now, where have I've seen this?????

    "JustMe" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > As to the canon print head. I have one also that gives 7 orange flashes.
    It
    > is NOT fixable by cleaning or any other means. When mine first started
    doing
    > it , I found that if I removed the head and rubbed hard on the top of the
    > ribbon cable where it is glued to the green circuit board. That fixed it
    for
    > a week then it started again, I kept doing this for about 1 month then it
    > would not work anymore. I suspect that one of the wires in the cable gets
    > open and you get a bad connection to the head. I bet that if they use a
    > ribbon cable connector like on other devices, instead of a friction
    > connection that wouldn't fail.
    >
    > As for the Lexmark. It has the highest print per page of any printer, if
    you
    > buy the cart's. They give away the printer and have the highest price for
    > replacement cart's of any printer. They even tried to sue a company using
    > the DCMA for making a compatible cart. To protect their prices.
    >

    > "Betsy" <n0spam@spam.c-0> wrote in message
    > > Thanks, but I gave up. I think I'll donate the printers to somebody. I
    > got
    > > a Lexmark all in one for $78 at Wal-Mart and if it lasts a year it's
    still
    > > less than I paid for the canon. It's nice, prints well (SLOW), copies
    > FAST
    > > and scans like a dream, although I use my old graphics editing software
    > > which is much more versatile.
    > >
    > > "Jim " <jim@NOSPAM.jkindon.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > > Hi Betsy
    > > > On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 21:37:16 -0500, "Betsy" <n0spam@spam.c-0> wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Get in contact with Fred Keen at fkeen@repeatotype.com
    > > > and ask him aout his cleaning kits for the BJC600 series printers.
    > > > You'll find him extremely helpful as I found him to be here in the
    > > > UK. and the routine to clean the printheads is easy to carry out.

    > when
    > > the
    > that
    > > the
    > > > Regards.
    > > >
    > > > Jim Down by the River Plym.
    > > > www.jkindon.freeserve.co.uk.
    > > > A reply to an offer of help is always courteous
    > > > Thank You.

    cannon says to unplug the power to printer for 2 min. clean pc board on cart,
    reseat cart, plug in power cable.
    it worked for me twice in 3 years,,,,,,,,still printing,,,,,,,,,have well over
    7,000 sheets thru printer,,,,,,,,,,,
    jim

Printers Canon Peripherals Product