Cd not being seen by windows

Hi
Windows will not see any of my optical drives, It did
yesterday and when I go to my computer to look for the
driver it says it is bad so I uninstalled it and
rebooted. It shows the optical drives when it boots up
but when I go to windows explorer it does not show the
drives.
Also the drives won't work properly. I put in Win XP cd
to see if I could fix it but even though the drive light
lit up and looked like it was going to read it but
nothing else happened.

I uninstalled some software today and stupidly
clicked "yes to all" when asked did I want to delete some
files e.g. dll's and I think this could be it.

Any ideas would be very gratefully received as otherwise
I will have to reformat the HD (pain in the bum). Please
mail to dplant123@hotmail.com

Might suggest go into control panel -> system -> hardware -> device
manager and look at cd/dvd drives. You can then use the tab to
reinstall or delete the drives, reboot and windows should find the
drives and reinstall the drivers. There should be a backup copy of the
install cab's on your hard drive (the XP install puts them there),
otherwise it should ask for the XP CD.

If all else fails you cna do a repair install of XP bu setting the CD
Rom drive to first boot but that may require reinstalling a bunch of XP
update patches.