KT7A no post

Having problems getting my KT7A to post, hear no beeps see on hd
activity and nothing on the screen.
Tried the following all to no avail :-(
reset cmos
removed and replaced battery
480w power supply
different vid cards agp and pci
different cpu's
different memory
fans in every fan connection there is
taken mobo out of case with no earthing to case
I know the following...
bios is good(A9)
cpu is good(Athlon 1333)
mobo is good
memory is good
The ONLY thing i have changed is the case, ie went from the working
system to an older gateway case to act as a second pc and some of the
header pin connectors are different, the power light shows ok, the start
connector works ok and the speaker connector works but nothing else is
connected, no reset and no hd light so I'm sure it's the case thats
causing the problems but I've plumb run out of ideas.
Anyone else have any suggestions or any more help on the header
connectors plz.
HS

Jim

A possibility? Look very carefully, this mobo is prone.

Jim

"hayseed" <hayvirgin@seed.net> wrote in message
> Having problems getting my KT7A to post, hear no beeps see on hd
> activity and nothing on the screen.
> Tried the following all to no avail :-(
> reset cmos
> removed and replaced battery
> 480w power supply
> different vid cards agp and pci
> different cpu's
> different memory
> fans in every fan connection there is
> taken mobo out of case with no earthing to case
> I know the following...
> bios is good(A9)
> cpu is good(Athlon 1333)
> mobo is good
> memory is good
> The ONLY thing i have changed is the case, ie went from the working
> system to an older gateway case to act as a second pc and some of the
> header pin connectors are different, the power light shows ok, the start
> connector works ok and the speaker connector works but nothing else is
> connected, no reset and no hd light so I'm sure it's the case thats
> causing the problems but I've plumb run out of ideas.
> Anyone else have any suggestions or any more help on the header
> connectors plz.
> HS

Jim

Make sure any internal USB cable off the mobo's USB headers (if using one)
is oriented correctly. If the polarity is reversed, the mobo will not post
(it may not even power up).

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 10:02:53 +0100, "hayseed" <hayvirgin@seed.net>
wrote:

>Having problems getting my KT7A to post, hear no beeps see on hd
>activity and nothing on the screen.
>Tried the following all to no avail :-(
>reset cmos
>removed and replaced battery
>480w power supply
>different vid cards agp and pci
>different cpu's
>different memory
>fans in every fan connection there is
>taken mobo out of case with no earthing to case

Assuming the CPU fan is on the correct header, video card, monitor and
floppy, one bar of memory in the correct slot.

Plug in the old / A N Other - PSU - what happens now ?

BoroLad

N.B. Check the caps for color / leaking / bulging tops etc.

>I know the following...
>bios is good(A9)
>cpu is good(Athlon 1333)
> mobo is good
> memory is good
>The ONLY thing i have changed is the case, ie went from the working
>system to an older gateway case to act as a second pc and some of the
>header pin connectors are different, the power light shows ok, the start
>connector works ok and the speaker connector works but nothing else is
>connected, no reset and no hd light so I'm sure it's the case thats
>causing the problems but I've plumb run out of ideas.
>Anyone else have any suggestions or any more help on the header
>connectors plz.
>HS

Snip -

>BoroLad

>N.B. Check the caps for color / leaking / bulging tops etc.

Should have offered Gary's site, here :-
http://motherboardrepair.com/

wrote:

>Having problems getting my KT7A to post, hear no beeps see on hd
>activity and nothing on the screen.
>Tried the following all to no avail :-(
>reset cmos
>removed and replaced battery
>480w power supply
>different vid cards agp and pci
>different cpu's
>different memory
>fans in every fan connection there is
>taken mobo out of case with no earthing to case
>I know the following...
>bios is good(A9)
>cpu is good(Athlon 1333)
> mobo is good
> memory is good
>The ONLY thing i have changed is the case, ie went from the working
>system to an older gateway case to act as a second pc and some of the
>header pin connectors are different, the power light shows ok, the start
>connector works ok and the speaker connector works but nothing else is
>connected, no reset and no hd light so I'm sure it's the case thats
>causing the problems but I've plumb run out of ideas.
>Anyone else have any suggestions or any more help on the header
>connectors plz.
>HS

Have you looked at which way round you have those header pin
connectors, hs? It can make a difference. The header pins on the
board are usually marked as to polarity etc; if not, it should say in
the manual. Unfortunately, the colour scheme of the connecting leads
is not always obvious. I'm pretty sure that having the connectors
improperly oriented has prevented PCs of mine booting in the past.

However, it seems to me that all connectors in the same plane
generally orient the same way, so if you take one with obvious
polarity, like the speaker lead (which, ironically, wouldn't matter
which way round it went!) - red and black, usually, now, which is
positive and which negative? - and orient the others in the same plane
the same way, that should do it.

Otherwise, if the reset switch and hd led don't work, the inference is
that one or the other may be faulty. Certainly, if the reset switch
were permanently closed, that would prevent booting. Possibly a
faulty hd led could prevent booting, as well.

HTH

patrickp

Also check if C-MOS clear jumper is not shorted.

<borolad@myowseintheboro.org> wrote in message
> On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 10:02:53 +0100, "hayseed" <hayvirgin@seed.net>
> wrote:

> Assuming the CPU fan is on the correct header, video card, monitor and
> floppy, one bar of memory in the correct slot.

Nothing..no post.

> Plug in the old / A N Other - PSU - what happens now ?
>
> BoroLad
>
> N.B. Check the caps for color / leaking / bulging tops etc.
All look fine.

HS

"Jim" <null@null.com> wrote in message
> Make sure any internal USB cable off the mobo's USB headers (if using
one)
> is oriented correctly. If the polarity is reversed, the mobo will not
post
> (it may not even power up).
>
> Jim
Got nothing connected except one hd in ide1 and a pci vid card in
different slots.

HS

"patrickp" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 10:02:53 +0100, "hayseed" <hayvirgin@seed.net>
> wrote:
>

> Have you looked at which way round you have those header pin
> connectors, hs? It can make a difference. The header pins on the
> board are usually marked as to polarity etc; if not, it should say in
> the manual. Unfortunately, the colour scheme of the connecting leads
> is not always obvious. I'm pretty sure that having the connectors
> improperly oriented has prevented PCs of mine booting in the past.

I had that problem when it was new, turned around one of the header
connectors.
I'm thinking along these lines now but tried all combinations and wires
are all multi coloured so no real definition as to which does what
polarity wise.

> However, it seems to me that all connectors in the same plane
> generally orient the same way, so if you take one with obvious
> polarity, like the speaker lead (which, ironically, wouldn't matter
> which way round it went!) - red and black, usually, now, which is
> positive and which negative? - and orient the others in the same plane
> the same way, that should do it.
>
> Otherwise, if the reset switch and hd led don't work, the inference is
> that one or the other may be faulty. Certainly, if the reset switch
> were permanently closed, that would prevent booting. Possibly a
> faulty hd led could prevent booting, as well.

Can I do away with any of these what is the bare minimum I need?
thinking if I can get it started with 1 or none and add until it wont
post hopefully leading me to the problem.
There is NO reset switch on this case so no header connector, do you
think that could be the problem? can I use a jumper connector to bridge
two pins? the old case had a reset switch and it all worked out ok, this
case has no reset button.
HS

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 21:29:27 +0100, "hayseed" <hayvirgin@seed.net>
wrote:

>"patrickp" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 10:02:53 +0100, "hayseed" <hayvirgin@seed.net>
>> wrote:
>>

>> Have you looked at which way round you have those header pin
>> connectors, hs? It can make a difference. The header pins on the
>> board are usually marked as to polarity etc; if not, it should say in
>> the manual. Unfortunately, the colour scheme of the connecting leads
>> is not always obvious. I'm pretty sure that having the connectors
>> improperly oriented has prevented PCs of mine booting in the past.
>>
>I had that problem when it was new, turned around one of the header
>connectors.
>I'm thinking along these lines now but tried all combinations and wires
>are all multi coloured so no real definition as to which does what
>polarity wise.
>
>> However, it seems to me that all connectors in the same plane
>> generally orient the same way, so if you take one with obvious
>> polarity, like the speaker lead (which, ironically, wouldn't matter
>> which way round it went!) - red and black, usually, now, which is
>> positive and which negative? - and orient the others in the same plane
>> the same way, that should do it.
>>
>> Otherwise, if the reset switch and hd led don't work, the inference is
>> that one or the other may be faulty. Certainly, if the reset switch
>> were permanently closed, that would prevent booting. Possibly a
>> faulty hd led could prevent booting, as well.
>>
>Can I do away with any of these what is the bare minimum I need?
>thinking if I can get it started with 1 or none and add until it wont
>post hopefully leading me to the problem.
>There is NO reset switch on this case so no header connector, do you
>think that could be the problem? can I use a jumper connector to bridge
>two pins? the old case had a reset switch and it all worked out ok, this
>case has no reset button.
>HS

No, the reset switch is normally open and closes to reboot, so it
won't hurt to leave that open. I think the power and hd leds need to
be connected and the right way round; the power switch and possibly
the speaker need to be connected, but I don't think orientation
matters with them.

I'm not sure about these, but that's what I'd think from times when
I've had to fiddle about getting them right.

If you look in the manual (or dl one if you haven't got one) there's a
diagram showing the positive/negative orientation of the connectors.
As I said before, it's not always obvious from the colour of the
leads, but the connectors normally all go the same way round, so if
you position the speaker connector correctly (usually red and black,
so it's obvious which is which) and align the others the same way,
they should be Ok.

HTH

patrickp

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 21:29:27 +0100, hayseed wrote:

> Can I do away with any of these what is the bare minimum I need?

The bare minimum you need is a PSU, MB, cpu, HSF, ram. video card and
monitor to test a post. You'll also need a metal object to short the PSU
power pins on the MB to turn on the PSU. You don't need a case, KB, mouse,
HD, floppy or anything esle connected. If it post, you'll probably get a
KB error. Then plug in KB and try agian. This time you'll get a no boot
device error. Hook up floppy and boot with a bott disk, etc, til you find
the problem. If it doesn't boot with the bare minimum, I'd plug another
fan into the cpu header and try again. Hope you have a version of the bios
that sets fan detection disabled when you clear the cmos. they all should,
but I don't know that for sure.

> There is NO reset switch on this case so no header connector, do you
> think that could be the problem? can I use a jumper connector to bridge
> two pins?

No, leave the reset pins empty. They are normally open. Short them out if
you want a reset.

One other thing that occurs to me, hs, are you sure the mobo isn't
shorting to the case anywhere? Make sure it's not touching the case
anywhere, and it can be a good idea to put insulating washers above
and below the board where it is mounted on the bushes.

patrickp

No I took it out the case. Most annoying indeed.

"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 21:29:27 +0100, hayseed wrote:
>
> > Can I do away with any of these what is the bare minimum I need?
>
> The bare minimum you need is a PSU, MB, cpu, HSF, ram. video card and
> monitor to test a post. You'll also need a metal object to short the
PSU
> power pins on the MB to turn on the PSU. You don't need a case, KB,
mouse,
> HD, floppy or anything esle connected. If it post, you'll probably get
> KB error. Then plug in KB and try agian. This time you'll get a no
boot
> device error. Hook up floppy and boot with a bott disk, etc, til you
find
> the problem. If it doesn't boot with the bare minimum, I'd plug
another
> fan into the cpu header and try again. Hope you have a version of the
bios
> that sets fan detection disabled when you clear the cmos. they all
should,
> but I don't know that for sure.

OK I'll try this, need to remove the hd and all the header connectors, I
have tried shorting the mb with a screwdriver to check the case switch
and it still wont post.
Bloody thing was fine until I took it out of the case.
BIOS is A935(a modded A9)
Like you I run the XP2400+....or was anyhow<lol>
HS

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 21:21:03 +0100, "hayseed" <hayvirgin@seed.net>
wrote:

>No I took it out the case. Most annoying indeed.
>HS

Have I missed a post from you, did you try a different PSU ?

BoroLad

> On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 21:21:03 +0100, "hayseed" <hayvirgin@seed.net>
> wrote:
>
> >No I took it out the case. Most annoying indeed.
> >HS
>
> Have I missed a post from you, did you try a different PSU ?
>
> BoroLad
Yes tried a diff psu.
HS

> "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
> > On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 21:29:27 +0100, hayseed wrote:
> >
> > > Can I do away with any of these what is the bare minimum I need?
> >
> > The bare minimum you need is a PSU, MB, cpu, HSF, ram. video card
and
> > monitor to test a post. You'll also need a metal object to short the
> PSU
> > power pins on the MB to turn on the PSU. You don't need a case, KB,

> > fan into the cpu header and try again. Hope you have a version of
the
> bios
> > that sets fan detection disabled when you clear the cmos. they all
> should,
> > but I don't know that for sure.

Tried diff fans in diff places always a fan in Fan 1 and 2 to be sure.
Tried the above and still no POST and no luck.
HS