Thinking of upgrading CPU from 2.53 GHz to ????

I have a computer with a Intel mobo Model : D845GBV. It has the 2.53GHz
processor on board, and I'm wondering if it makes any sense if I upgrade to
a faster CPU. I have no idea if this is worthwhile, but I'm asking here to
find out. I had a small windfall, and thought I spend it on a new processor.
I'm using basically Win XP home, with regular programs, MS Office, Adobe
programs, and sometimes AutoCad. Unfortunately I play no games, my grandson
uses the computer when he visits for games and things like that. Any help is
appreciated......Peter
16 answers Last reply
More about thinking upgrading

    I would say no. You will probably not notice a large difference by
    upgrading. I have typically done an upgrade once the CPU speed has increase
    50%. With the newer chips speed will not be as important. Items such as
    hyperthreading, etc. will play a larger role.
    "PeterM" <rpm@NOSPAM.dcn.org> wrote in message
    > I have a computer with a Intel mobo Model : D845GBV. It has the 2.53GHz
    > processor on board, and I'm wondering if it makes any sense if I upgrade
    > a faster CPU. I have no idea if this is worthwhile, but I'm asking here to
    > find out. I had a small windfall, and thought I spend it on a new
    processor.
    > I'm using basically Win XP home, with regular programs, MS Office, Adobe
    > programs, and sometimes AutoCad. Unfortunately I play no games, my
    grandson
    > uses the computer when he visits for games and things like that. Any help
    is
    > appreciated......Peter

    You would be better off adding more memory before upgrading the cpu.

    "PeterM" <rpm@NOSPAM.dcn.org> wrote in message
    > I have a computer with a Intel mobo Model : D845GBV. It has the 2.53GHz
    > processor on board, and I'm wondering if it makes any sense if I upgrade
    > a faster CPU. I have no idea if this is worthwhile, but I'm asking here to
    > find out. I had a small windfall, and thought I spend it on a new
    processor.
    > I'm using basically Win XP home, with regular programs, MS Office, Adobe
    > programs, and sometimes AutoCad. Unfortunately I play no games, my
    grandson
    > uses the computer when he visits for games and things like that. Any help
    is
    > appreciated......Peter

    Hello
    I would not waste the money 2.5 gig will outdrive any software on the
    market, I would max the RAM out that will speed it up while opening more
    windows and when the grandson plays his games.

    --
    Hope This Helps
    Haus

    The CPU is very fast. You should add memory to 512 or even
    1 GB. If your grandson plays games, ask him what graphics
    card he would like to have. The D845GBV motherboard is an
    excellent board with an AGP slot for an advanced video card.
    The 845GBV has on-board video which is fine for simple
    graphics such as web browsing, but a better graphics card
    such as an ATI 9600 or 9800, perhaps an All-in-Wonder
    version with TV in and out will improve the 3D gaming more
    than anything else. If your monitor is 15 or 17 inches, a
    19" monitor will be better for his games, perhaps a nice top
    quality LCD if space is an issue. The standard flat display
    CRT monitor is often better for games because the reaction
    time is a little faster than a lower priced LCD. But LCDs
    are crisper and don't flicker and they are better for office
    application. A bigger monitor would be my first choice [I'm
    running an D845GBVL with a 1.7 GHz Celeron and 512 MB RAM.]

    "PeterM" <rpm@NOSPAM.dcn.org> wrote in message
    | I have a computer with a Intel mobo Model : D845GBV. It
    has the 2.53GHz
    | processor on board, and I'm wondering if it makes any
    sense if I upgrade to
    | a faster CPU. I have no idea if this is worthwhile, but
    I'm asking here to
    | find out. I had a small windfall, and thought I spend it
    on a new processor.
    | I'm using basically Win XP home, with regular programs, MS
    Office, Adobe
    | programs, and sometimes AutoCad. Unfortunately I play no
    games, my grandson
    | uses the computer when he visits for games and things like
    that. Any help is
    | appreciated......Peter

    Thanks to all of you for the super advise. No CPU upgrade, now I'll get the
    AGP video upgrade as Jim mentioned. I already have the good and big
    monitor, so memory and video card it is. What a great readership in this
    group. Thanks a whole bunch, love you all..........Peter

    > The CPU is very fast. You should add memory to 512 or even
    > 1 GB. If your grandson plays games, ask him what graphics
    > card he would like to have. The D845GBV motherboard is an
    > excellent board with an AGP slot for an advanced video card.
    > The 845GBV has on-board video which is fine for simple
    > graphics such as web browsing, but a better graphics card
    > such as an ATI 9600 or 9800, perhaps an All-in-Wonder
    > version with TV in and out will improve the 3D gaming more
    > than anything else. If your monitor is 15 or 17 inches, a
    > 19" monitor will be better for his games, perhaps a nice top
    > quality LCD if space is an issue. The standard flat display
    > CRT monitor is often better for games because the reaction
    > time is a little faster than a lower priced LCD. But LCDs
    > are crisper and don't flicker and they are better for office
    > application. A bigger monitor would be my first choice [I'm
    > running an D845GBVL with a 1.7 GHz Celeron and 512 MB RAM.]
    >

    > "PeterM" <rpm@NOSPAM.dcn.org> wrote in message
    > | I have a computer with a Intel mobo Model : D845GBV. It
    > has the 2.53GHz
    > | processor on board, and I'm wondering if it makes any
    > sense if I upgrade to
    > | a faster CPU. I have no idea if this is worthwhile, but
    > I'm asking here to
    > | find out. I had a small windfall, and thought I spend it
    > on a new processor.
    > | I'm using basically Win XP home, with regular programs, MS
    > Office, Adobe
    > | programs, and sometimes AutoCad. Unfortunately I play no
    > games, my grandson
    > | uses the computer when he visits for games and things like
    > that. Any help is
    > | appreciated......Peter

    Get your grandson a joystick of his choice, nice present.

    And you're welcome.

    | Thanks to all of you for the super advise. No CPU upgrade,
    now I'll get the
    | AGP video upgrade as Jim mentioned. I already have the
    good and big
    | monitor, so memory and video card it is. What a great
    readership in this
    | group. Thanks a whole bunch, love you all..........Peter

    in message
    | > The CPU is very fast. You should add memory to 512 or
    even
    | > 1 GB. If your grandson plays games, ask him what
    graphics
    | > card he would like to have. The D845GBV motherboard is
    an
    | > excellent board with an AGP slot for an advanced video
    card.
    | > The 845GBV has on-board video which is fine for simple
    | > graphics such as web browsing, but a better graphics
    card
    | > such as an ATI 9600 or 9800, perhaps an All-in-Wonder
    | > version with TV in and out will improve the 3D gaming
    more
    | > than anything else. If your monitor is 15 or 17 inches,
    | > 19" monitor will be better for his games, perhaps a nice
    top
    | > quality LCD if space is an issue. The standard flat
    display
    | > CRT monitor is often better for games because the
    reaction
    | > time is a little faster than a lower priced LCD. But
    LCDs
    | > are crisper and don't flicker and they are better for
    office
    | > application. A bigger monitor would be my first choice
    [I'm
    | > running an D845GBVL with a 1.7 GHz Celeron and 512 MB
    RAM.]

    | > "PeterM" <rpm@NOSPAM.dcn.org> wrote in message
    | > | I have a computer with a Intel mobo Model : D845GBV.
    It
    | > has the 2.53GHz
    | > | processor on board, and I'm wondering if it makes any
    | > sense if I upgrade to
    | > | a faster CPU. I have no idea if this is worthwhile,
    but
    | > I'm asking here to
    | > | find out. I had a small windfall, and thought I spend
    it
    | > on a new processor.
    | > | I'm using basically Win XP home, with regular
    programs, MS
    | > Office, Adobe
    | > | programs, and sometimes AutoCad. Unfortunately I play
    no
    | > games, my grandson
    | > | uses the computer when he visits for games and things
    like
    | > that. Any help is
    | > | appreciated......Peter
    | > |
    | > |

    Not only you are better with the upgrade but I do beleive that your
    motherboard may not be able to handle the newer processors. If I am not
    mistaken, your mother uses a i845 (Intel) chipset and the processors are
    limited to 400 MHZ FSB. Newer, faster processors require 800 MHZ FSB.

    "PeterM" <rpm@NOSPAM.dcn.org> wrote in message
    > Thanks to all of you for the super advise. No CPU upgrade, now I'll get
    the
    > AGP video upgrade as Jim mentioned. I already have the good and big
    > monitor, so memory and video card it is. What a great readership in this
    > group. Thanks a whole bunch, love you all..........Peter
    >
    > "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
    > > The CPU is very fast. You should add memory to 512 or even
    > > 1 GB. If your grandson plays games, ask him what graphics
    > > card he would like to have. The D845GBV motherboard is an
    > > excellent board with an AGP slot for an advanced video card.
    > > The 845GBV has on-board video which is fine for simple
    > > graphics such as web browsing, but a better graphics card
    > > such as an ATI 9600 or 9800, perhaps an All-in-Wonder
    > > version with TV in and out will improve the 3D gaming more
    > > than anything else. If your monitor is 15 or 17 inches, a
    > > 19" monitor will be better for his games, perhaps a nice top
    > > quality LCD if space is an issue. The standard flat display
    > > CRT monitor is often better for games because the reaction
    > > time is a little faster than a lower priced LCD. But LCDs
    > > are crisper and don't flicker and they are better for office
    > > application. A bigger monitor would be my first choice [I'm
    > > running an D845GBVL with a 1.7 GHz Celeron and 512 MB RAM.]
    > >

    > > "PeterM" <rpm@NOSPAM.dcn.org> wrote in message
    > > | I have a computer with a Intel mobo Model : D845GBV. It
    > > has the 2.53GHz
    > > | processor on board, and I'm wondering if it makes any
    > > sense if I upgrade to
    > > | a faster CPU. I have no idea if this is worthwhile, but
    > > I'm asking here to
    > > | find out. I had a small windfall, and thought I spend it
    > > on a new processor.
    > > | I'm using basically Win XP home, with regular programs, MS
    > > Office, Adobe
    > > | programs, and sometimes AutoCad. Unfortunately I play no
    > > games, my grandson
    > > | uses the computer when he visits for games and things like
    > > that. Any help is
    > > | appreciated......Peter

    The D845 will support the 400 and 533 FSB with P4 and is
    limited to 400 with the Celeron.

    | Not only you are better with the upgrade but I do beleive
    that your
    | motherboard may not be able to handle the newer
    processors. If I am not
    | mistaken, your mother uses a i845 (Intel) chipset and the
    processors are
    | limited to 400 MHZ FSB. Newer, faster processors require
    800 MHZ FSB.

    | "PeterM" <rpm@NOSPAM.dcn.org> wrote in message
    | > Thanks to all of you for the super advise. No CPU
    upgrade, now I'll get
    | the
    | > AGP video upgrade as Jim mentioned. I already have the
    good and big
    | > monitor, so memory and video card it is. What a great
    readership in this
    | > group. Thanks a whole bunch, love you all..........Peter
    | >
    | > "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
    wrote in message
    | > > The CPU is very fast. You should add memory to 512 or
    even
    | > > 1 GB. If your grandson plays games, ask him what
    graphics
    | > > card he would like to have. The D845GBV motherboard
    is an
    | > > excellent board with an AGP slot for an advanced video
    card.
    | > > The 845GBV has on-board video which is fine for simple
    | > > graphics such as web browsing, but a better graphics
    card
    | > > such as an ATI 9600 or 9800, perhaps an All-in-Wonder
    | > > version with TV in and out will improve the 3D gaming
    more
    | > > than anything else. If your monitor is 15 or 17
    inches, a
    | > > 19" monitor will be better for his games, perhaps a
    nice top
    | > > quality LCD if space is an issue. The standard flat
    display
    | > > CRT monitor is often better for games because the
    reaction
    | > > time is a little faster than a lower priced LCD. But
    LCDs
    | > > are crisper and don't flicker and they are better for
    office
    | > > application. A bigger monitor would be my first
    choice [I'm
    | > > running an D845GBVL with a 1.7 GHz Celeron and 512 MB
    RAM.]

    | > > "PeterM" <rpm@NOSPAM.dcn.org> wrote in message
    It
    | > > has the 2.53GHz
    | > > sense if I upgrade to
    | > > I'm asking here to
    spend it
    | > > on a new processor.
    programs, MS
    | > > Office, Adobe
    | > > games, my grandson
    things like
    | > > that. Any help is
    | > > |
    | > > |

    BTW, Peter M, when you buy the new graphics card I suggest
    you spend the money to buy a name brand from ATI or NVIDIA.
    Other makers use chips from those companies to make lower
    cost cards, you'll see the chip name, like RADEON or NVIDIA
    but a close look will show the makers as something
    different. Can't really say the budget cards are no good
    but you do get what you pay for in terms of support and
    performance.

    "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
    in message news:%235uGq$AHEHA.2516@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    | The D845 will support the 400 and 533 FSB with P4 and is
    | limited to 400 with the Celeron.
    |

    | "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in
    message
    | | Not only you are better with the upgrade but I do
    beleive
    | that your
    | | motherboard may not be able to handle the newer
    | processors. If I am not
    | | mistaken, your mother uses a i845 (Intel) chipset and
    the
    | processors are
    | | limited to 400 MHZ FSB. Newer, faster processors
    require
    | 800 MHZ FSB.
    | |
    | |
    | | "PeterM" <rpm@NOSPAM.dcn.org> wrote in message
    | | > Thanks to all of you for the super advise. No CPU
    | upgrade, now I'll get
    | | the
    | | > AGP video upgrade as Jim mentioned. I already have the
    | good and big
    | | > monitor, so memory and video card it is. What a great
    | readership in this
    | | > group. Thanks a whole bunch, love you
    all..........Peter

    | | > "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
    | wrote in message
    | even
    | graphics
    | is an
    | card.
    simple
    | card
    All-in-Wonder
    gaming
    | more
    | inches, a
    | nice top
    | display
    | reaction
    But
    | LCDs
    | office
    | choice [I'm
    MB
    | RAM.]

    D845GBV.
    | It
    | any
    worthwhile,
    | but
    | spend it
    | programs, MS
    | play no
    | things like
    | | > > |
    | | > > |

    | |
    | |

    Thanks again Jim, I will stick with your advise. I will have no
    reservations about spending the money. I value your help very
    much.........Peter

    > BTW, Peter M, when you buy the new graphics card I suggest
    > you spend the money to buy a name brand from ATI or NVIDIA.
    > Other makers use chips from those companies to make lower
    > cost cards, you'll see the chip name, like RADEON or NVIDIA
    > but a close look will show the makers as something
    > different. Can't really say the budget cards are no good
    > but you do get what you pay for in terms of support and
    > performance.
    >

    > "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
    > in message news:%235uGq$AHEHA.2516@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > | The D845 will support the 400 and 533 FSB with P4 and is
    > | limited to 400 with the Celeron.
    > |

    > | "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in
    > message
    > | | Not only you are better with the upgrade but I do
    > beleive
    > | that your
    > | | motherboard may not be able to handle the newer
    > | processors. If I am not
    > | | mistaken, your mother uses a i845 (Intel) chipset and
    > the
    > | processors are
    > | | limited to 400 MHZ FSB. Newer, faster processors
    > require
    > | 800 MHZ FSB.
    > | |
    > | |
    > | | "PeterM" <rpm@NOSPAM.dcn.org> wrote in message
    > | upgrade, now I'll get
    > | | the
    > | good and big
    > | readership in this
    > all..........Peter

    > or
    > | even
    > | graphics
    > | is an
    > video
    > | card.
    > simple
    > | card
    > All-in-Wonder
    > gaming
    > | more
    > | inches, a
    > | nice top
    > | display
    > | reaction
    > But
    > | LCDs
    > for
    > | office
    > | choice [I'm
    > MB
    > | RAM.]

    > D845GBV.
    > | It
    > | any
    > worthwhile,
    > | but
    > | spend it
    > | programs, MS
    > | play no
    > | things like
    > | | > > |
    > | | > > |

    > | |
    > | |

    BTW I'm a little shocked to find out that the mobo I have is restricted
    to the 400. I remember being told that I could upgrade indefinitely.
    Well, time to consider a new mobo maybe. Any advise for that? Maybe the
    P4 is not the best anymore as well. I was also told back when, that the
    P4 was the best money can buy. Probably not the case anymore.........any
    advise is again very very much appreciated.........Peter

    > BTW, Peter M, when you buy the new graphics card I suggest
    > you spend the money to buy a name brand from ATI or NVIDIA.
    > Other makers use chips from those companies to make lower
    > cost cards, you'll see the chip name, like RADEON or NVIDIA
    > but a close look will show the makers as something
    > different. Can't really say the budget cards are no good
    > but you do get what you pay for in terms of support and
    > performance.
    >

    > "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
    > in message news:%235uGq$AHEHA.2516@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > | The D845 will support the 400 and 533 FSB with P4 and is
    > | limited to 400 with the Celeron.
    > |

    > | "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in
    > message
    > | | Not only you are better with the upgrade but I do
    > beleive
    > | that your
    > | | motherboard may not be able to handle the newer
    > | processors. If I am not
    > | | mistaken, your mother uses a i845 (Intel) chipset and
    > the
    > | processors are
    > | | limited to 400 MHZ FSB. Newer, faster processors
    > require
    > | 800 MHZ FSB.
    > | |
    > | |
    > | | "PeterM" <rpm@NOSPAM.dcn.org> wrote in message
    > | upgrade, now I'll get
    > | | the
    > | good and big
    > | readership in this
    > all..........Peter

    > or
    > | even
    > | graphics
    > | is an
    > video
    > | card.
    > simple
    > | card
    > All-in-Wonder
    > gaming
    > | more
    > | inches, a
    > | nice top
    > | display
    > | reaction
    > But
    > | LCDs
    > for
    > | office
    > | choice [I'm
    > MB
    > | RAM.]

    > D845GBV.
    > | It
    > | any
    > worthwhile,
    > | but
    > | spend it
    > | programs, MS
    > | play no
    > | things like
    > | | > > |
    > | | > > |

    > | |
    > | |

    My father had some cards printed that said, "QUALITY it's
    like buying oats. If you want nice clean fresh oats, you
    must pay a fair price. But if you can be satisfied with
    oats that have been through the horse, those are a little
    cheaper."

    "PeterM" <rpm@dcn.org> wrote in message
    | Thanks again Jim, I will stick with your advise. I will
    have no
    | reservations about spending the money. I value your help
    very
    | much.........Peter

    in message
    | > BTW, Peter M, when you buy the new graphics card I
    suggest
    | > you spend the money to buy a name brand from ATI or
    NVIDIA.
    | > Other makers use chips from those companies to make
    lower
    | > cost cards, you'll see the chip name, like RADEON or
    NVIDIA
    | > but a close look will show the makers as something
    | > different. Can't really say the budget cards are no
    good
    | > but you do get what you pay for in terms of support and
    | > performance.
    | >

    | > "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
    wrote
    | > in message
    | > | The D845 will support the 400 and 533 FSB with P4 and
    is
    | > | limited to 400 with the Celeron.
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in
    | > message
    | > beleive
    | > | that your
    | > | processors. If I am not
    | > the
    | > | processors are
    | > require
    | > | 800 MHZ FSB.
    | > | |
    | > | |
    | > | upgrade, now I'll get
    | > | good and big
    | > | readership in this
    | > all..........Peter

    <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
    | > or
    | > | even
    what
    | > | graphics
    motherboard
    | > | is an
    | > video
    | > | card.
    | > simple
    graphics
    | > | card
    | > All-in-Wonder
    | > gaming
    | > | more
    | > | inches, a
    perhaps a
    | > | nice top
    | > | display
    | > | reaction
    | > But
    | > | LCDs
    better
    | > for
    | > | office
    | > | choice [I'm
    | > MB
    | > | RAM.]

    | > D845GBV.
    | > | It
    | > | any
    | > worthwhile,
    | > | but
    | > | spend it
    | > | programs, MS
    | > | play no
    | > | things like
    | > | | > > |
    | > | | > > |

    | > | |
    | > | |
    | > |
    | > |

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    I have basically the same mobo. I have the D845GBVL, the
    only difference is that mine has an on-board 10/100 LAN.
    The FSB is limited to 400 with Celeron CPU but it will run
    533 with the P4. I plan on getting a P4 someday. I have
    not checked www.intel.com for the latest BIOS update, but
    that might allow the 800 FSB. As long as the socket 478 CPU
    is supported and the computer does what you want, no need to
    buy a replacement mobo until you want a second computer,
    then buy a mobo with upgrade possibilities.

    | BTW I'm a little shocked to find out that the mobo I have
    is restricted
    | to the 400. I remember being told that I could upgrade
    indefinitely.
    | Well, time to consider a new mobo maybe. Any advise for
    that? Maybe the
    | P4 is not the best anymore as well. I was also told back
    when, that the
    | P4 was the best money can buy. Probably not the case
    anymore.........any
    | advise is again very very much appreciated.........Peter

    in message
    | > BTW, Peter M, when you buy the new graphics card I
    suggest
    | > you spend the money to buy a name brand from ATI or
    NVIDIA.
    | > Other makers use chips from those companies to make
    lower
    | > cost cards, you'll see the chip name, like RADEON or
    NVIDIA
    | > but a close look will show the makers as something
    | > different. Can't really say the budget cards are no
    good
    | > but you do get what you pay for in terms of support and
    | > performance.
    | >

    | > "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
    wrote
    | > in message
    | > | The D845 will support the 400 and 533 FSB with P4 and
    is
    | > | limited to 400 with the Celeron.
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in
    | > message
    | > beleive
    | > | that your
    | > | processors. If I am not
    | > the
    | > | processors are
    | > require
    | > | 800 MHZ FSB.
    | > | |
    | > | |
    | > | upgrade, now I'll get
    | > | good and big
    | > | readership in this
    | > all..........Peter

    <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
    | > or
    | > | even
    what
    | > | graphics
    motherboard
    | > | is an
    | > video
    | > | card.
    | > simple
    graphics
    | > | card
    | > All-in-Wonder
    | > gaming
    | > | more
    | > | inches, a
    perhaps a
    | > | nice top
    | > | display
    | > | reaction
    | > But
    | > | LCDs
    better
    | > for
    | > | office
    | > | choice [I'm
    | > MB
    | > | RAM.]

    | > D845GBV.
    | > | It
    | > | any
    | > worthwhile,
    | > | but
    | > | spend it
    | > | programs, MS
    | > | play no
    | > | things like
    | > | | > > |
    | > | | > > |

    | > | |
    | > | |
    | > |
    | > |

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Here is the link to the BIOS update notes (PDF) for the
    D845GBV. Didn't see any 800 FSB mention but there are lots
    of fixes listed for USB , LAN and other issues. They have a
    flash download and for XP a program that runs inside of
    Windows to update the BIOS.

    The link to the D845 page is too long to post and I don't
    want to mess with TinyURL, but just start here
    http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/Support_Intel.asp

    "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
    in message news:ua8XSSCHEHA.2928@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    | I have basically the same mobo. I have the D845GBVL, the
    | only difference is that mine has an on-board 10/100 LAN.
    | The FSB is limited to 400 with Celeron CPU but it will run
    | 533 with the P4. I plan on getting a P4 someday. I have
    | not checked www.intel.com for the latest BIOS update, but
    | that might allow the 800 FSB. As long as the socket 478
    CPU
    | is supported and the computer does what you want, no need
    | buy a replacement mobo until you want a second computer,
    | then buy a mobo with upgrade possibilities.
    |

    | "PeterM" <rpm@dcn.org> wrote in message
    | | BTW I'm a little shocked to find out that the mobo I
    have
    | is restricted
    | | to the 400. I remember being told that I could upgrade
    | indefinitely.
    | | Well, time to consider a new mobo maybe. Any advise for
    | that? Maybe the
    | | P4 is not the best anymore as well. I was also told back
    | when, that the
    | | P4 was the best money can buy. Probably not the case
    | anymore.........any
    | | advise is again very very much appreciated.........Peter
    | |
    | | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
    wrote
    | in message
    | | > BTW, Peter M, when you buy the new graphics card I
    | suggest
    | | > you spend the money to buy a name brand from ATI or
    | NVIDIA.
    | | > Other makers use chips from those companies to make
    | lower
    | | > cost cards, you'll see the chip name, like RADEON or
    | NVIDIA
    | | > but a close look will show the makers as something
    | | > different. Can't really say the budget cards are no
    | good
    | | > but you do get what you pay for in terms of support
    and
    | | > performance.
    | | >

    | | > "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
    | wrote
    | | > in message
    | is
    | | > |
    | | > |
    | | > message
    | | > beleive
    | and
    | | > the
    | | > require
    | | > | |
    | | > | |
    CPU
    | the
    | great
    | | > all..........Peter

    | <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
    | 512
    | | > or
    | what
    | motherboard
    | | > video
    | | > simple
    | graphics
    | | > All-in-Wonder
    | | > gaming
    | perhaps a
    standard
    | flat
    | the
    LCD.
    | | > But
    | better
    | | > for
    first
    | 512
    | | > MB

    | | > D845GBV.
    | makes
    | | > worthwhile,
    thought
    regular
    Unfortunately
    | | > | | > > |
    | | > | | > > |

    | | > | |
    | | > | |
    | | > |
    | | > |

    | |
    | |

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Had to go to the doctor, but I'm back again. Thanks so very much Jim, I
    actually never updated anything, but will start tonight.........more
    tomorrow......thanks.....Peter

> [...]
    > | that might allow the 800 FSB. As long as the socket 478
    > CPU
    > | is supported and the computer does what you want, no need
    > | buy a replacement mobo until you want a second computer,
    > | then buy a mobo with upgrade possibilities.
    > |

    > | "PeterM" <rpm@dcn.org> wrote in message
    > | | BTW I'm a little shocked to find out that the mobo I
    > have
    > | is restricted
    > | | to the 400. I remember being told that I could upgrade
    > | indefinitely.
    > | | Well, time to consider a new mobo maybe. Any advise for
    > | that? Maybe the
    > | | P4 is not the best anymore as well. I was also told back
    > | when, that the
    > | | P4 was the best money can buy. Probably not the case
    > | anymore.........any
    > | | advise is again very very much appreciated.........Peter

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    You're welcome, hope the doctor found nothing worse than a
    pimple.

    | Had to go to the doctor, but I'm back again. Thanks so
    very much Jim, I
    | actually never updated anything, but will start
    tonight.........more
    | tomorrow......thanks.....Peter

    in message
    | > Here is the link to the BIOS update notes (PDF) for the
    | > D845GBV. Didn't see any 800 FSB mention but there are
    lots
    | > of fixes listed for USB , LAN and other issues. They
    have a
    | > flash download and for XP a program that runs inside of
    | > Windows to update the BIOS.
    | >
    | > The link to the D845 page is too long to post and I
    don't
    | > want to mess with TinyURL, but just start here

    http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/Support_Intel.asp

    | > "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
    wrote
    | > in message news:ua8XSSCHEHA.2928@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    | > | I have basically the same mobo. I have the D845GBVL,
    the
    | > | only difference is that mine has an on-board 10/100
    LAN.
    | > | The FSB is limited to 400 with Celeron CPU but it will
    run
    | > | 533 with the P4. I plan on getting a P4 someday. I
    have
    | > | not checked www.intel.com for the latest BIOS update,
    but
    | > | that might allow the 800 FSB. As long as the socket
    478
    | > CPU
    | > | is supported and the computer does what you want, no
    need
    | > | buy a replacement mobo until you want a second
    computer,
    | > | then buy a mobo with upgrade possibilities.
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | "PeterM" <rpm@dcn.org> wrote in message
    | > have