Thinking of upgrading CPU from 2.53 GHz to ????

peterm

I have a computer with a Intel mobo Model : D845GBV. It has the 2.53GHz
processor on board, and I'm wondering if it makes any sense if I upgrade to
a faster CPU. I have no idea if this is worthwhile, but I'm asking here to
find out. I had a small windfall, and thought I spend it on a new processor.
I'm using basically Win XP home, with regular programs, MS Office, Adobe
programs, and sometimes AutoCad. Unfortunately I play no games, my grandson
uses the computer when he visits for games and things like that. Any help is
appreciated......Peter

kawipoo

I would say no. You will probably not notice a large difference by
upgrading. I have typically done an upgrade once the CPU speed has increase
50%. With the newer chips speed will not be as important. Items such as
hyperthreading, etc. will play a larger role.
"PeterM" <rpm@NOSPAM.dcn.org> wrote in message
> I have a computer with a Intel mobo Model : D845GBV. It has the 2.53GHz
> processor on board, and I'm wondering if it makes any sense if I upgrade
> a faster CPU. I have no idea if this is worthwhile, but I'm asking here to
> find out. I had a small windfall, and thought I spend it on a new
processor.
> I'm using basically Win XP home, with regular programs, MS Office, Adobe
> programs, and sometimes AutoCad. Unfortunately I play no games, my
grandson
> uses the computer when he visits for games and things like that. Any help
is
> appreciated......Peter

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

You would be better off adding more memory before upgrading the cpu.

"PeterM" <rpm@NOSPAM.dcn.org> wrote in message
> I have a computer with a Intel mobo Model : D845GBV. It has the 2.53GHz
> processor on board, and I'm wondering if it makes any sense if I upgrade
> a faster CPU. I have no idea if this is worthwhile, but I'm asking here to
> find out. I had a small windfall, and thought I spend it on a new
processor.
> I'm using basically Win XP home, with regular programs, MS Office, Adobe
> programs, and sometimes AutoCad. Unfortunately I play no games, my
grandson
> uses the computer when he visits for games and things like that. Any help
is
> appreciated......Peter

Hello
I would not waste the money 2.5 gig will outdrive any software on the
market, I would max the RAM out that will speed it up while opening more
windows and when the grandson plays his games.

--
Hope This Helps
Haus

The CPU is very fast. You should add memory to 512 or even
1 GB. If your grandson plays games, ask him what graphics
card he would like to have. The D845GBV motherboard is an
excellent board with an AGP slot for an advanced video card.
The 845GBV has on-board video which is fine for simple
graphics such as web browsing, but a better graphics card
such as an ATI 9600 or 9800, perhaps an All-in-Wonder
version with TV in and out will improve the 3D gaming more
than anything else. If your monitor is 15 or 17 inches, a
19" monitor will be better for his games, perhaps a nice top
quality LCD if space is an issue. The standard flat display
CRT monitor is often better for games because the reaction
time is a little faster than a lower priced LCD. But LCDs
are crisper and don't flicker and they are better for office
application. A bigger monitor would be my first choice [I'm
running an D845GBVL with a 1.7 GHz Celeron and 512 MB RAM.]

"PeterM" <rpm@NOSPAM.dcn.org> wrote in message
| I have a computer with a Intel mobo Model : D845GBV. It
has the 2.53GHz
| processor on board, and I'm wondering if it makes any
sense if I upgrade to
| a faster CPU. I have no idea if this is worthwhile, but
I'm asking here to
| find out. I had a small windfall, and thought I spend it
on a new processor.
| I'm using basically Win XP home, with regular programs, MS
Office, Adobe
| programs, and sometimes AutoCad. Unfortunately I play no
games, my grandson
| uses the computer when he visits for games and things like
that. Any help is
| appreciated......Peter

peterm

Thanks to all of you for the super advise. No CPU upgrade, now I'll get the
AGP video upgrade as Jim mentioned. I already have the good and big
monitor, so memory and video card it is. What a great readership in this
group. Thanks a whole bunch, love you all..........Peter

> The CPU is very fast. You should add memory to 512 or even
> 1 GB. If your grandson plays games, ask him what graphics
> card he would like to have. The D845GBV motherboard is an
> excellent board with an AGP slot for an advanced video card.
> The 845GBV has on-board video which is fine for simple
> graphics such as web browsing, but a better graphics card
> such as an ATI 9600 or 9800, perhaps an All-in-Wonder
> version with TV in and out will improve the 3D gaming more
> than anything else. If your monitor is 15 or 17 inches, a
> 19" monitor will be better for his games, perhaps a nice top
> quality LCD if space is an issue. The standard flat display
> CRT monitor is often better for games because the reaction
> time is a little faster than a lower priced LCD. But LCDs
> are crisper and don't flicker and they are better for office
> application. A bigger monitor would be my first choice [I'm
> running an D845GBVL with a 1.7 GHz Celeron and 512 MB RAM.]
>

> "PeterM" <rpm@NOSPAM.dcn.org> wrote in message
> | I have a computer with a Intel mobo Model : D845GBV. It
> has the 2.53GHz
> | processor on board, and I'm wondering if it makes any
> sense if I upgrade to
> | a faster CPU. I have no idea if this is worthwhile, but
> I'm asking here to
> | find out. I had a small windfall, and thought I spend it
> on a new processor.
> | I'm using basically Win XP home, with regular programs, MS
> Office, Adobe
> | programs, and sometimes AutoCad. Unfortunately I play no
> games, my grandson
> | uses the computer when he visits for games and things like
> that. Any help is
> | appreciated......Peter

Get your grandson a joystick of his choice, nice present.

And you're welcome.

| Thanks to all of you for the super advise. No CPU upgrade,
now I'll get the
| AGP video upgrade as Jim mentioned. I already have the
good and big
| monitor, so memory and video card it is. What a great
readership in this
| group. Thanks a whole bunch, love you all..........Peter

in message
| > The CPU is very fast. You should add memory to 512 or
even
| > 1 GB. If your grandson plays games, ask him what
graphics
| > card he would like to have. The D845GBV motherboard is
an
| > excellent board with an AGP slot for an advanced video
card.
| > The 845GBV has on-board video which is fine for simple
| > graphics such as web browsing, but a better graphics
card
| > such as an ATI 9600 or 9800, perhaps an All-in-Wonder
| > version with TV in and out will improve the 3D gaming
more
| > than anything else. If your monitor is 15 or 17 inches,
| > 19" monitor will be better for his games, perhaps a nice
top
| > quality LCD if space is an issue. The standard flat
display
| > CRT monitor is often better for games because the
reaction
| > time is a little faster than a lower priced LCD. But
LCDs
| > are crisper and don't flicker and they are better for
office
| > application. A bigger monitor would be my first choice
[I'm
| > running an D845GBVL with a 1.7 GHz Celeron and 512 MB
RAM.]

| > "PeterM" <rpm@NOSPAM.dcn.org> wrote in message
| > | I have a computer with a Intel mobo Model : D845GBV.
It
| > has the 2.53GHz
| > | processor on board, and I'm wondering if it makes any
| > sense if I upgrade to
| > | a faster CPU. I have no idea if this is worthwhile,
but
| > I'm asking here to
| > | find out. I had a small windfall, and thought I spend
it
| > on a new processor.
| > | I'm using basically Win XP home, with regular
programs, MS
| > Office, Adobe
| > | programs, and sometimes AutoCad. Unfortunately I play
no
| > games, my grandson
| > | uses the computer when he visits for games and things
like
| > that. Any help is
| > | appreciated......Peter
| > |
| > |

Not only you are better with the upgrade but I do beleive that your
motherboard may not be able to handle the newer processors. If I am not
mistaken, your mother uses a i845 (Intel) chipset and the processors are
limited to 400 MHZ FSB. Newer, faster processors require 800 MHZ FSB.

"PeterM" <rpm@NOSPAM.dcn.org> wrote in message
> Thanks to all of you for the super advise. No CPU upgrade, now I'll get
the
> AGP video upgrade as Jim mentioned. I already have the good and big
> monitor, so memory and video card it is. What a great readership in this
> group. Thanks a whole bunch, love you all..........Peter
>
> "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
> > The CPU is very fast. You should add memory to 512 or even
> > 1 GB. If your grandson plays games, ask him what graphics
> > card he would like to have. The D845GBV motherboard is an
> > excellent board with an AGP slot for an advanced video card.
> > The 845GBV has on-board video which is fine for simple
> > graphics such as web browsing, but a better graphics card
> > such as an ATI 9600 or 9800, perhaps an All-in-Wonder
> > version with TV in and out will improve the 3D gaming more
> > than anything else. If your monitor is 15 or 17 inches, a
> > 19" monitor will be better for his games, perhaps a nice top
> > quality LCD if space is an issue. The standard flat display
> > CRT monitor is often better for games because the reaction
> > time is a little faster than a lower priced LCD. But LCDs
> > are crisper and don't flicker and they are better for office
> > application. A bigger monitor would be my first choice [I'm
> > running an D845GBVL with a 1.7 GHz Celeron and 512 MB RAM.]
> >

> > "PeterM" <rpm@NOSPAM.dcn.org> wrote in message
> > | I have a computer with a Intel mobo Model : D845GBV. It
> > has the 2.53GHz
> > | processor on board, and I'm wondering if it makes any
> > sense if I upgrade to
> > | a faster CPU. I have no idea if this is worthwhile, but
> > I'm asking here to
> > | find out. I had a small windfall, and thought I spend it
> > on a new processor.
> > | I'm using basically Win XP home, with regular programs, MS
> > Office, Adobe
> > | programs, and sometimes AutoCad. Unfortunately I play no
> > games, my grandson
> > | uses the computer when he visits for games and things like
> > that. Any help is
> > | appreciated......Peter

The D845 will support the 400 and 533 FSB with P4 and is
limited to 400 with the Celeron.

wrote in message
| > > The CPU is very fast. You should add memory to 512 or
even
| > > 1 GB. If your grandson plays games, ask him what
graphics
| > > card he would like to have. The D845GBV motherboard
is an
| > > excellent board with an AGP slot for an advanced video
card.
| > > The 845GBV has on-board video which is fine for simple
| > > graphics such as web browsing, but a better graphics
card
| > > such as an ATI 9600 or 9800, perhaps an All-in-Wonder
| > > version with TV in and out will improve the 3D gaming
more
| > > than anything else. If your monitor is 15 or 17
inches, a
| > > 19" monitor will be better for his games, perhaps a
nice top
| > > quality LCD if space is an issue. The standard flat
display
| > > CRT monitor is often better for games because the
reaction
| > > time is a little faster than a lower priced LCD. But
LCDs
| > > are crisper and don't flicker and they are better for
office
| > > application. A bigger monitor would be my first
choice [I'm
| > > running an D845GBVL with a 1.7 GHz Celeron and 512 MB
RAM.]

| > > "PeterM" <rpm@NOSPAM.dcn.org> wrote in message
It
| > > has the 2.53GHz
any
| > > sense if I upgrade to
but
| > > I'm asking here to
spend it
| > > on a new processor.
programs, MS
| > > Office, Adobe
play no
| > > games, my grandson
things like
| > > that. Any help is
| > > |
| > > |

BTW, Peter M, when you buy the new graphics card I suggest
you spend the money to buy a name brand from ATI or NVIDIA.
Other makers use chips from those companies to make lower
cost cards, you'll see the chip name, like RADEON or NVIDIA
but a close look will show the makers as something
different. Can't really say the budget cards are no good
but you do get what you pay for in terms of support and
performance.

"Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
in message news:%235uGq$AHEHA.2516@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
| The D845 will support the 400 and 533 FSB with P4 and is
| limited to 400 with the Celeron.
|

| "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in
message
| | Not only you are better with the upgrade but I do
beleive
| that your
| | motherboard may not be able to handle the newer
| processors. If I am not
| | mistaken, your mother uses a i845 (Intel) chipset and
the
| processors are
| | limited to 400 MHZ FSB. Newer, faster processors
require
| 800 MHZ FSB.
| |
| |
| | "PeterM" <rpm@NOSPAM.dcn.org> wrote in message
| | > Thanks to all of you for the super advise. No CPU
| upgrade, now I'll get
| | the
| | > AGP video upgrade as Jim mentioned. I already have the
| good and big
| | > monitor, so memory and video card it is. What a great
| readership in this
| | > group. Thanks a whole bunch, love you
all..........Peter

| | > "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
| wrote in message
or
| even
| graphics
| is an
video
| card.
simple
| card
All-in-Wonder
gaming
| more
| inches, a
| nice top
| display
| reaction
But
| LCDs
for
| office
| choice [I'm
MB
| RAM.]

D845GBV.
| It
| any
worthwhile,
| but
| spend it
| programs, MS
| play no
| things like
| | > > |
| | > > |

| |
| |

peterm

Thanks again Jim, I will stick with your advise. I will have no
reservations about spending the money. I value your help very
much.........Peter

> BTW, Peter M, when you buy the new graphics card I suggest
> you spend the money to buy a name brand from ATI or NVIDIA.
> Other makers use chips from those companies to make lower
> cost cards, you'll see the chip name, like RADEON or NVIDIA
> but a close look will show the makers as something
> different. Can't really say the budget cards are no good
> but you do get what you pay for in terms of support and
> performance.
>

> "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
> in message news:%235uGq$AHEHA.2516@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> | The D845 will support the 400 and 533 FSB with P4 and is
> | limited to 400 with the Celeron.
> |

> | "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in
> message
> | | Not only you are better with the upgrade but I do
> beleive
> | that your
> | | motherboard may not be able to handle the newer
> | processors. If I am not
> | | mistaken, your mother uses a i845 (Intel) chipset and
> the
> | processors are
> | | limited to 400 MHZ FSB. Newer, faster processors
> require
> | 800 MHZ FSB.
> | |
> | |
> | | "PeterM" <rpm@NOSPAM.dcn.org> wrote in message
> | upgrade, now I'll get
> | | the
> | good and big
> | readership in this
> all..........Peter

> or
> | even
> | graphics
> | is an
> video
> | card.
> simple
> | card
> All-in-Wonder
> gaming
> | more
> | inches, a
> | nice top
> | display
> | reaction
> But
> | LCDs
> for
> | office
> | choice [I'm
> MB
> | RAM.]

> D845GBV.
> | It
> | any
> worthwhile,
> | but
> | spend it
> | programs, MS
> | play no
> | things like
> | | > > |
> | | > > |

> | |
> | |

peterm

BTW I'm a little shocked to find out that the mobo I have is restricted
to the 400. I remember being told that I could upgrade indefinitely.
Well, time to consider a new mobo maybe. Any advise for that? Maybe the
P4 is not the best anymore as well. I was also told back when, that the
P4 was the best money can buy. Probably not the case anymore.........any
advise is again very very much appreciated.........Peter

> BTW, Peter M, when you buy the new graphics card I suggest
> you spend the money to buy a name brand from ATI or NVIDIA.
> Other makers use chips from those companies to make lower
> cost cards, you'll see the chip name, like RADEON or NVIDIA
> but a close look will show the makers as something
> different. Can't really say the budget cards are no good
> but you do get what you pay for in terms of support and
> performance.
>

> "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
> in message news:%235uGq$AHEHA.2516@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> | The D845 will support the 400 and 533 FSB with P4 and is
> | limited to 400 with the Celeron.
> |

> | "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in
> message
> | | Not only you are better with the upgrade but I do
> beleive
> | that your
> | | motherboard may not be able to handle the newer
> | processors. If I am not
> | | mistaken, your mother uses a i845 (Intel) chipset and
> the
> | processors are
> | | limited to 400 MHZ FSB. Newer, faster processors
> require
> | 800 MHZ FSB.
> | |
> | |
> | | "PeterM" <rpm@NOSPAM.dcn.org> wrote in message
> | upgrade, now I'll get
> | | the
> | good and big
> | readership in this
> all..........Peter

> or
> | even
> | graphics
> | is an
> video
> | card.
> simple
> | card
> All-in-Wonder
> gaming
> | more
> | inches, a
> | nice top
> | display
> | reaction
> But
> | LCDs
> for
> | office
> | choice [I'm
> MB
> | RAM.]

> D845GBV.
> | It
> | any
> worthwhile,
> | but
> | spend it
> | programs, MS
> | play no
> | things like
> | | > > |
> | | > > |

> | |
> | |

My father had some cards printed that said, "QUALITY it's
like buying oats. If you want nice clean fresh oats, you
must pay a fair price. But if you can be satisfied with
oats that have been through the horse, those are a little
cheaper."

"PeterM" <rpm@dcn.org> wrote in message
| Thanks again Jim, I will stick with your advise. I will
have no
| reservations about spending the money. I value your help
very
| much.........Peter

in message
| > BTW, Peter M, when you buy the new graphics card I
suggest
| > you spend the money to buy a name brand from ATI or
NVIDIA.
| > Other makers use chips from those companies to make
lower
| > cost cards, you'll see the chip name, like RADEON or
NVIDIA
| > but a close look will show the makers as something
| > different. Can't really say the budget cards are no
good
| > but you do get what you pay for in terms of support and
| > performance.
| >

| > "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
wrote
| > in message
| > | The D845 will support the 400 and 533 FSB with P4 and
is
| > | limited to 400 with the Celeron.
| > |
| > |
| > | "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in
| > message
| > beleive
| > | that your
| > | processors. If I am not
and
| > the
| > | processors are
| > require
| > | 800 MHZ FSB.
| > | |
| > | |
| > | upgrade, now I'll get
| > | good and big
great
| > | readership in this
| > all..........Peter

<p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
512
| > or
| > | even
what
| > | graphics
motherboard
| > | is an
| > video
| > | card.
| > simple
graphics
| > | card
| > All-in-Wonder
| > gaming
| > | more
| > | inches, a
perhaps a
| > | nice top
flat
| > | display
the
| > | reaction
| > But
| > | LCDs
better
| > for
| > | office
| > | choice [I'm
512
| > MB
| > | RAM.]

| > D845GBV.
| > | It
makes
| > | any
| > worthwhile,
| > | but
| > | spend it
| > | programs, MS
| > | play no
| > | things like
| > | | > > |
| > | | > > |

| > | |
| > | |
| > |
| > |

I have basically the same mobo. I have the D845GBVL, the
only difference is that mine has an on-board 10/100 LAN.
The FSB is limited to 400 with Celeron CPU but it will run
533 with the P4. I plan on getting a P4 someday. I have
not checked www.intel.com for the latest BIOS update, but
that might allow the 800 FSB. As long as the socket 478 CPU
is supported and the computer does what you want, no need to
buy a replacement mobo until you want a second computer,
then buy a mobo with upgrade possibilities.

| BTW I'm a little shocked to find out that the mobo I have
is restricted
| to the 400. I remember being told that I could upgrade
indefinitely.
| Well, time to consider a new mobo maybe. Any advise for
that? Maybe the
| P4 is not the best anymore as well. I was also told back
when, that the
| P4 was the best money can buy. Probably not the case
anymore.........any
| advise is again very very much appreciated.........Peter

in message
| > BTW, Peter M, when you buy the new graphics card I
suggest
| > you spend the money to buy a name brand from ATI or
NVIDIA.
| > Other makers use chips from those companies to make
lower
| > cost cards, you'll see the chip name, like RADEON or
NVIDIA
| > but a close look will show the makers as something
| > different. Can't really say the budget cards are no
good
| > but you do get what you pay for in terms of support and
| > performance.
| >

| > "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
wrote
| > in message
| > | The D845 will support the 400 and 533 FSB with P4 and
is
| > | limited to 400 with the Celeron.
| > |
| > |
| > | "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in
| > message
| > beleive
| > | that your
| > | processors. If I am not
and
| > the
| > | processors are
| > require
| > | 800 MHZ FSB.
| > | |
| > | |
| > | upgrade, now I'll get
| > | good and big
great
| > | readership in this
| > all..........Peter

<p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
512
| > or
| > | even
what
| > | graphics
motherboard
| > | is an
| > video
| > | card.
| > simple
graphics
| > | card
| > All-in-Wonder
| > gaming
| > | more
| > | inches, a
perhaps a
| > | nice top
flat
| > | display
the
| > | reaction
| > But
| > | LCDs
better
| > for
| > | office
| > | choice [I'm
512
| > MB
| > | RAM.]

| > D845GBV.
| > | It
makes
| > | any
| > worthwhile,
| > | but
| > | spend it
| > | programs, MS
| > | play no
| > | things like
| > | | > > |
| > | | > > |

| > | |
| > | |
| > |
| > |

Here is the link to the BIOS update notes (PDF) for the
D845GBV. Didn't see any 800 FSB mention but there are lots
of fixes listed for USB , LAN and other issues. They have a
flash download and for XP a program that runs inside of
Windows to update the BIOS.

The link to the D845 page is too long to post and I don't
want to mess with TinyURL, but just start here
http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/Support_Intel.asp

"Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
in message news:ua8XSSCHEHA.2928@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
| I have basically the same mobo. I have the D845GBVL, the
| only difference is that mine has an on-board 10/100 LAN.
| The FSB is limited to 400 with Celeron CPU but it will run
| 533 with the P4. I plan on getting a P4 someday. I have
| not checked www.intel.com for the latest BIOS update, but
| that might allow the 800 FSB. As long as the socket 478
CPU
| is supported and the computer does what you want, no need
| buy a replacement mobo until you want a second computer,
| then buy a mobo with upgrade possibilities.
|

| "PeterM" <rpm@dcn.org> wrote in message
| | BTW I'm a little shocked to find out that the mobo I
have
| is restricted
| | to the 400. I remember being told that I could upgrade
| indefinitely.
| | Well, time to consider a new mobo maybe. Any advise for
| that? Maybe the
| | P4 is not the best anymore as well. I was also told back
| when, that the
| | P4 was the best money can buy. Probably not the case
| anymore.........any
| | advise is again very very much appreciated.........Peter
| |
| | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
wrote
| in message
| | > BTW, Peter M, when you buy the new graphics card I
| suggest
| | > you spend the money to buy a name brand from ATI or
| NVIDIA.
| | > Other makers use chips from those companies to make
| lower
| | > cost cards, you'll see the chip name, like RADEON or
| NVIDIA
| | > but a close look will show the makers as something
| | > different. Can't really say the budget cards are no
| good
| | > but you do get what you pay for in terms of support
and
| | > performance.
| | >

| | > "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
| wrote
| | > in message
and
| is
| | > |
| | > |
| | > message
| | > beleive
| and
| | > the
| | > require
| | > | |
| | > | |
CPU
have
| the
| great
| | > all..........Peter

| <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
| 512
| | > or
| what
| motherboard
| | > video
for
| | > simple
| graphics
| | > All-in-Wonder
| | > gaming
17
| perhaps a
standard
| flat
| the
LCD.
| | > But
| better
| | > for
first
| 512
| | > MB

| | > D845GBV.
| makes
| | > worthwhile,
thought
regular
Unfortunately
and
| | > | | > > |
| | > | | > > |

| | > | |
| | > | |
| | > |
| | > |

| |
| |

peterm

Had to go to the doctor, but I'm back again. Thanks so very much Jim, I
actually never updated anything, but will start tonight.........more
tomorrow......thanks.....Peter

> [...]
> | that might allow the 800 FSB. As long as the socket 478
> CPU
> | is supported and the computer does what you want, no need
> | buy a replacement mobo until you want a second computer,
> | then buy a mobo with upgrade possibilities.
> |

> | "PeterM" <rpm@dcn.org> wrote in message
> | | BTW I'm a little shocked to find out that the mobo I
> have
> | is restricted
> | | to the 400. I remember being told that I could upgrade
> | indefinitely.
> | | Well, time to consider a new mobo maybe. Any advise for
> | that? Maybe the
> | | P4 is not the best anymore as well. I was also told back
> | when, that the
> | | P4 was the best money can buy. Probably not the case
> | anymore.........any
> | | advise is again very very much appreciated.........Peter

You're welcome, hope the doctor found nothing worse than a
pimple.

| Had to go to the doctor, but I'm back again. Thanks so
very much Jim, I
| actually never updated anything, but will start
tonight.........more
| tomorrow......thanks.....Peter

in message
| > Here is the link to the BIOS update notes (PDF) for the
| > D845GBV. Didn't see any 800 FSB mention but there are
lots
| > of fixes listed for USB , LAN and other issues. They
have a
| > flash download and for XP a program that runs inside of
| > Windows to update the BIOS.
| >
| > The link to the D845 page is too long to post and I
don't
| > want to mess with TinyURL, but just start here

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/Support_Intel.asp

| > "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
wrote
| > in message news:ua8XSSCHEHA.2928@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
| > | I have basically the same mobo. I have the D845GBVL,
the
| > | only difference is that mine has an on-board 10/100
LAN.
| > | The FSB is limited to 400 with Celeron CPU but it will
run
| > | 533 with the P4. I plan on getting a P4 someday. I
have
| > | not checked www.intel.com for the latest BIOS update,
but
| > | that might allow the 800 FSB. As long as the socket
478
| > CPU
| > | is supported and the computer does what you want, no
need
| > | buy a replacement mobo until you want a second
computer,
| > | then buy a mobo with upgrade possibilities.
| > |
| > |
| > | "PeterM" <rpm@dcn.org> wrote in message
| > have