NF7-S - Windows updated NVIDIA driver with a flaw

Hello fellas, I am back. I have a new problem with my box. Last
Thursday, Windows update applied a patch to the NVIDIA drivers. This
cause my box to hang for about 5 minutes after it splashes the "Windows
XP for Home" screen. After the 5 minutes, the scrolling green dots
appear and the box boots up and runs as normal. Does anyone have
experience removing patches from a Windows XP for Home?

TIA

Javier

"Javier Salazar" <s_spartan77-posts@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| Hello fellas, I am back. I have a new problem with my box. Last
| Thursday, Windows update applied a patch to the NVIDIA drivers. This
| cause my box to hang for about 5 minutes after it splashes the "Windows
| XP for Home" screen. After the 5 minutes, the scrolling green dots
| appear and the box boots up and runs as normal. Does anyone have
| experience removing patches from a Windows XP for Home?
|
| TIA
|
| Javier

Hi Javier -

What driver was updated? Not sure: go to Windows Update... then, under
Other Options (on the left), click on View Installation History.

Once you know the driver that was updated, you can use the driver rollback
feature in Device Manager.

Personal advice: never apply device driver updates from Windows Update. Get
them only from the hardware manufacturer.

Jef

.... And...

Another thought: If you haven't installed anything else, or you haven't
installed much, check System Restore. The device driver update from
Microsoft should have triggered Windows XP taking a System Restore
checkpoint before applying the update.

You can always roll back to before the update using System Restore.

Anything you've updated since the Restore point will have to be reapplied.

Jef

Jef Norton wrote:

> ... And...
>
> Another thought: If you haven't installed anything else, or you haven't
> installed much, check System Restore. The device driver update from
> Microsoft should have triggered Windows XP taking a System Restore
> checkpoint before applying the update.
>
> You can always roll back to before the update using System Restore.
>
> Anything you've updated since the Restore point will have to be reapplied.
>
> Jef

The only thing the patch says is "NVIDIA Corp. Multimeida software
update'. As for rolling back. I tried to use the 'System Restore' to
back to one day before the update was done. It did not solve the problem.

TIA

Javier

Javier Salazar wrote:
> Jef Norton wrote:
>
>> ... And...
>>
>> Another thought: If you haven't installed anything else, or you
>> haven't installed much, check System Restore. The device driver
>> update from Microsoft should have triggered Windows XP taking a
>> System Restore checkpoint before applying the update.
>>
>> You can always roll back to before the update using System Restore.
>>
>> Anything you've updated since the Restore point will have to be
>> reapplied.
>>
>> Jef
>>

> The only thing the patch says is "NVIDIA Corp. Multimeida software
> update'. As for rolling back. I tried to use the 'System Restore' to
> back to one day before the update was done. It did not solve the
> problem.
>
> TIA
>
> Javier

I had this same problem after updating using the driver from MS. I
removed the nVidia drivers by running Driver Cleaner, then installed the
nVidia 3.13 drivers.
http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/ (Driver Cleaner)
http://www.motherboardfaqs.com/article.php?9.255 (nVidia driver).

ICee wrote:

> Javier Salazar wrote:
>
>>Jef Norton wrote:
>>

>>>... And...
>>>
>>>Another thought: If you haven't installed anything else, or you
>>>haven't installed much, check System Restore. The device driver
>>>update from Microsoft should have triggered Windows XP taking a
>>>System Restore checkpoint before applying the update.
>>>
>>>You can always roll back to before the update using System Restore.
>>>
>>>Anything you've updated since the Restore point will have to be
>>>reapplied.
>>>
>>>Jef
>>>

>>The only thing the patch says is "NVIDIA Corp. Multimeida software
>>update'. As for rolling back. I tried to use the 'System Restore' to
>>back to one day before the update was done. It did not solve the
>>problem.
>>
>>TIA
>>
>>Javier
>

> I had this same problem after updating using the driver from MS. I
> removed the nVidia drivers by running Driver Cleaner, then installed the
> nVidia 3.13 drivers.
> http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/ (Driver Cleaner)
> http://www.motherboardfaqs.com/article.php?9.255 (nVidia driver).

Thank you, I will take a look at that product.

Javier

Javier Salazar wrote:
> ICee wrote:
>
>> Javier Salazar wrote:

>>> The only thing the patch says is "NVIDIA Corp. Multimeida software
>>> update'. As for rolling back. I tried to use the 'System Restore'
>>> to back to one day before the update was done. It did not solve the
>>> problem.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> Javier
>>

>> I had this same problem after updating using the driver from MS. I
>> removed the nVidia drivers by running Driver Cleaner, then installed
>> the nVidia 3.13 drivers.
>> http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/ (Driver Cleaner)
>> http://www.motherboardfaqs.com/article.php?9.255 (nVidia driver).
>>

> Thank you, I will take a look at that product.
>
> Javier

You're welcome.

"ICee" <icee@nospam.invalid> wrote in message news:<W8-dnU-JNOuC0-HdRVn-hQ@adelphia.com>...
> Javier Salazar wrote:
> > ICee wrote:

> >> I had this same problem after updating using the driver from MS. I
> >> removed the nVidia drivers by running Driver Cleaner, then installed
> >> the nVidia 3.13 drivers.
> >> http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/ (Driver Cleaner)
> >> http://www.motherboardfaqs.com/article.php?9.255 (nVidia driver).
> >>

> > Thank you, I will take a look at that product.
> >
> > Javier
>
> You're welcome.

you can always roll back to the old driver by going to Device manager.

messagebyproxy wrote:
> "ICee" <icee@nospam.invalid> wrote in message news:<W8-dnU-JNOuC0-HdRVn-hQ@adelphia.com>...
>
>>Javier Salazar wrote:

>>>Thank you, I will take a look at that product.
>>>
>>>Javier
>>
>>You're welcome.
>

> you can always roll back to the old driver by going to Device manager.
I tried to roll back the driver. After rolling it back, I had the same
problem while booting up. I was even tempted to format the drive and
re-install Windows XP. Only thing that stopped me was that I could not
format the hard drive or Fdisk it ( I am running NTFS). If I find out
how to drop the NTFS file system, I still may re-do the box.

Javier

morgan

> I tried to roll back the driver. After rolling it back, I had the same
> problem while booting up. I was even tempted to format the drive and
> re-install Windows XP. Only thing that stopped me was that I could not
> format the hard drive or Fdisk it ( I am running NTFS). If I find out
> how to drop the NTFS file system, I still may re-do the box.

The XP CD will do that for you during the setup. It will ask you where you
want the install and if you want to format the drive and whether to use
FAT32 or NTFS.

Also an application like Partition Magic 8.x will do this for you, as well
as many other disk tasks, without losing the contents of the drive.

http://www.symantec.com/partitionmagic/

Regards

Morgan

Morgan wrote:
>>I tried to roll back the driver. After rolling it back, I had the same
>>problem while booting up. I was even tempted to format the drive and
>>re-install Windows XP. Only thing that stopped me was that I could not
>>format the hard drive or Fdisk it ( I am running NTFS). If I find out
>>how to drop the NTFS file system, I still may re-do the box.
>

> The XP CD will do that for you during the setup. It will ask you where you
> want the install and if you want to format the drive and whether to use
> FAT32 or NTFS.
>
> Also an application like Partition Magic 8.x will do this for you, as well
> as many other disk tasks, without losing the contents of the drive.
>
> http://www.symantec.com/partitionmagic/
>

> Regards
>

> Morgan

I think I like this suggestion better. I would rather start with a
clean installation.

Thank You

Javier

"Javier Salazar" <s_spartan77-posts@yahoo.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> I tried to roll back the driver. After rolling it back, I had the same
> problem while booting up. I was even tempted to format the drive and
> re-install Windows XP. Only thing that stopped me was that I could not
> format the hard drive or Fdisk it ( I am running NTFS). If I find out
> how to drop the NTFS file system, I still may re-do the box.

You can use a Win98 boot-disk for that. Remove the non-dos drive and then
format. Your drive will now be FAT32.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> Morgan wrote:
> >>I tried to roll back the driver. After rolling it back, I had the same
> >>problem while booting up. I was even tempted to format the drive and
> >>re-install Windows XP. Only thing that stopped me was that I could not
> >>format the hard drive or Fdisk it ( I am running NTFS). If I find out
> >>how to drop the NTFS file system, I still may re-do the box.
> >

> > The XP CD will do that for you during the setup. It will ask you where
you
> > want the install and if you want to format the drive and whether to use
> > FAT32 or NTFS.
> >
> > Also an application like Partition Magic 8.x will do this for you, as
well
> > as many other disk tasks, without losing the contents of the drive.
> >
> > http://www.symantec.com/partitionmagic/
> >

> > Regards
> >

> > Morgan
> >

> I think I like this suggestion better. I would rather start with a
> clean installation.
>
> Thank You
>
> Javier

If you HDD is over a certain size you may not be offered Fat32 as an option.
I am not sure of the size limit though.

"blah" <blah@blah.blah> wrote in message

> "Javier Salazar" <s_spartan77-posts@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > >

> > > The XP CD will do that for you during the setup. It will ask you where
> you
> > > want the install and if you want to format the drive and whether to
use
> > > FAT32 or NTFS.
> > >
> > > Also an application like Partition Magic 8.x will do this for you, as
> well
> > > as many other disk tasks, without losing the contents of the drive.
> > >
> > > http://www.symantec.com/partitionmagic/
> > >

> > > Regards
> > >

> > > Morgan
> > >

> > I think I like this suggestion better. I would rather start with a
> > clean installation.
> >
> > Thank You
> >
> > Javier
>
> If you HDD is over a certain size you may not be offered Fat32 as an
option.
> I am not sure of the size limit though.

Windows 9x , XP and 2000 will not format a hard drive or partition as FAT32
if it is over 32GB. Also FAT32 will not let you save a file that is over 4GB
in size. Not good if you burn your own DVD's.

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 07:49:01 -0400, "BBTACO" <BBTACO@SPAMNOT.COM>
wrote:

>"blah" <blah@blah.blah> wrote in message
>>
>> "Javier Salazar" <s_spartan77-posts@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>same
>not

>> you
>use

>> well

>> > I think I like this suggestion better. I would rather start with a
>> > clean installation.
>> >
>> > Thank You
>> >
>> > Javier
>>
>> If you HDD is over a certain size you may not be offered Fat32 as an
>option.
>> I am not sure of the size limit though.
>>

>Windows 9x , XP and 2000 will not format a hard drive or partition as FAT32
>if it is over 32GB. Also FAT32 will not let you save a file that is over 4GB
>in size. Not good if you burn your own DVD's.

Not true, I'm afraid, BBTACO. On a W98SE system, I have a 40GB drive,
and an 80GB drive partitioned into two; each drive letter reads as
37.2GB. Since it's a W98SE system, it has to be FAT32.

I don't know what the upper limit is, but it _is_ more than 32GB.

patrickp

"patrickp" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 07:49:01 -0400, "BBTACO" <BBTACO@SPAMNOT.COM>
> wrote:
>

> >"blah" <blah@blah.blah> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Javier Salazar" <s_spartan77-posts@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >same
> >not

> >> you
> >use

> >> well

> >> If you HDD is over a certain size you may not be offered Fat32 as an
> >option.
> >> I am not sure of the size limit though.
> >>

> >Windows 9x , XP and 2000 will not format a hard drive or partition as
FAT32
> >if it is over 32GB. Also FAT32 will not let you save a file that is over
4GB
> >in size. Not good if you burn your own DVD's.
> >

> Not true, I'm afraid, BBTACO. On a W98SE system, I have a 40GB drive,
> and an 80GB drive partitioned into two; each drive letter reads as
> 37.2GB. Since it's a W98SE system, it has to be FAT32.
>
> I don't know what the upper limit is, but it _is_ more than 32GB.
>

> patrickp
>
> patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me

Did you format the drives using a Windows boot disk or something like
partition magic? I know Windows 2000 and XP cannot format a hard drive to
FAT32 if it is larger than 32GB. But they can read large FAT32 partitions.
Maybe Windows 98SE is able to format a drive larger than 32GB in FAT32?

BBTACO

Robert

"BBTACO" <BBTACO@SPAMNOT.COM> wrote in message
> Did you format the drives using a Windows boot disk or something like
> partition magic? I know Windows 2000 and XP cannot format a hard drive to
> FAT32 if it is larger than 32GB. But they can read large FAT32 partitions.
> Maybe Windows 98SE is able to format a drive larger than 32GB in FAT32?
>
> BBTACO

The limit for Windows 2000/XP during setup is 32GB, but Windows 98SE/ME do
not have that limitation. See MS KB article:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314463

Fdisk that comes with Windows 98SE/ME might show incorrect size for larger
than 64GB but will work for larger drives. See MS KB article:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;263044

Fdisk has a limit of 512GB. See MS KB article:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;280737

Because Windows 98/SE does not support 48 bit LBA it has a limit of 137GB.
See Seagate article: http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/tp/137gb.pdf

But apparently Scandisk and Defrag have problems with drives over 127GB
because they are 16bit applications. See MS KB article:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q184006

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 19:11:56 -0400, "BBTACO" <BBTACO@SPAMNOT.COM>
wrote:

>"patrickp" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 07:49:01 -0400, "BBTACO" <BBTACO@SPAMNOT.COM>
>> wrote:
>>

>> >"blah" <blah@blah.blah> wrote in message

>> >same
>and
>> >not
>out

>where
>> >use

>as

>> >option.
>> >>

>> >Windows 9x , XP and 2000 will not format a hard drive or partition as
>FAT32
>> >if it is over 32GB. Also FAT32 will not let you save a file that is over
>4GB
>> >in size. Not good if you burn your own DVD's.
>> >

>> Not true, I'm afraid, BBTACO. On a W98SE system, I have a 40GB drive,
>> and an 80GB drive partitioned into two; each drive letter reads as
>> 37.2GB. Since it's a W98SE system, it has to be FAT32.
>>
>> I don't know what the upper limit is, but it _is_ more than 32GB.
>>

>> patrickp
>>
>> patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me
>
>Did you format the drives using a Windows boot disk or something like
>partition magic? I know Windows 2000 and XP cannot format a hard drive to
>FAT32 if it is larger than 32GB. But they can read large FAT32 partitions.
>Maybe Windows 98SE is able to format a drive larger than 32GB in FAT32?
>
>BBTACO

Yes, BBTACO, formatted with FDISK and FORMAT from a W98 boot disk. I
think there is a limit to the size W98 can see in FDISK, but M$ do a
patch for this; patch no. 263044USA8.

Ah, yes, see the article & patch dl here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;263044. Says
the limit (without the patch) that FDISK can see is 64GB - guess you
had half that value for some reason! ;-)

patrickp

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

<snip>> >Windows 9x , XP and 2000 will not format a hard drive or partition
as FAT32
> >if it is over 32GB. Also FAT32 will not let you save a file that is over
4GB
> >in size. Not good if you burn your own DVD's.
> >

> Not true, I'm afraid, BBTACO. On a W98SE system, I have a 40GB drive,
> and an 80GB drive partitioned into two; each drive letter reads as
> 37.2GB. Since it's a W98SE system, it has to be FAT32.
>
> I don't know what the upper limit is, but it _is_ more than 32GB.

We are talking about what WinXP will allow you to do during setup.
I had WinME on a 36 Gb FAT32 partition, so yes it can be done using a
Win98/ME setup disk and fdisk, but just not with the WinXP setup routine,
which is what the original poster was contemplating doing.

blah wrote:

> <snip>> >Windows 9x , XP and 2000 will not format a hard drive or partition
> as FAT32
>
>>>if it is over 32GB. Also FAT32 will not let you save a file that is over
>
> 4GB
>
>>>in size. Not good if you burn your own DVD's.
>>>

>>Not true, I'm afraid, BBTACO. On a W98SE system, I have a 40GB drive,
>>and an 80GB drive partitioned into two; each drive letter reads as
>>37.2GB. Since it's a W98SE system, it has to be FAT32.
>>
>>I don't know what the upper limit is, but it _is_ more than 32GB.
>>

> We are talking about what WinXP will allow you to do during setup.
> I had WinME on a 36 Gb FAT32 partition, so yes it can be done using a
> Win98/ME setup disk and fdisk, but just not with the WinXP setup routine,
> which is what the original poster was contemplating doing.

Here is what I did. I used the install CD to re-install Windows XP.
This allowed me to delete
the current partions, re-partition my 120Gig HHD into 3 partions and to
install the OS. This all
started after I applied an NVIDIA driver update from MS which caused my
system to take five
minutes to boot up. After the re-installation of the OS, this still
happens. Luckely I was able to
attache my hard drive to the SATA controller. By doing this my machine
boots up in under a
minute.

Thanks

Javier

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 12:27:47 GMT, Javier Salazar
<s_spartan77-posts@yahoo.com> wrote:

>blah wrote:
>
>> <snip>> >Windows 9x , XP and 2000 will not format a hard drive or partition
>> as FAT32

>> 4GB

>>>Not true, I'm afraid, BBTACO. On a W98SE system, I have a 40GB drive,
>>>and an 80GB drive partitioned into two; each drive letter reads as
>>>37.2GB. Since it's a W98SE system, it has to be FAT32.
>>>
>>>I don't know what the upper limit is, but it _is_ more than 32GB.
>>>

>> We are talking about what WinXP will allow you to do during setup.
>> I had WinME on a 36 Gb FAT32 partition, so yes it can be done using a
>> Win98/ME setup disk and fdisk, but just not with the WinXP setup routine,
>> which is what the original poster was contemplating doing.
>>

>Here is what I did. I used the install CD to re-install Windows XP.
>This allowed me to delete
>the current partions, re-partition my 120Gig HHD into 3 partions and to
>install the OS. This all
>started after I applied an NVIDIA driver update from MS which caused my
>system to take five
>minutes to boot up. After the re-installation of the OS, this still
>happens. Luckely I was able to
>attache my hard drive to the SATA controller. By doing this my machine
>boots up in under a
>minute.
>
>Thanks
>
>Javier

The dreaded M$ driver update! - bet you don't do that again in a
hurry, Javier! ;-)

Don't know about NVidia drivers, but people doing the same with Ati
drivers have often reported that completely reinstalling the videocard
drivers with the manufacturer's ones (which is what you should have
done anyway) fixes whatever problems the M$ driver update has caused..

The only M$ driver updates you ever want to go for are those for M$
devices - their meeces, for instance.

patrickp

Nothing like a little "expert" disinformation to perpetuate a falsehood. I'm
running
a 250GB WD drive w/two partitions of < 127GB apiece. XP has the EXACT same
limitations as to maximum partition size as 98SE (source for this information:
Western Digital).

In article <20040419141428.28874.00000128@mb-m18.aol.com>, Wblane
<wblane@aol.combotizer> writes
>Nothing like a little "expert" disinformation to perpetuate a falsehood. I'm
>running
>a 250GB WD drive w/two partitions of < 127GB apiece. XP has the EXACT same
>limitations as to maximum partition size as 98SE (source for this information:
>Western Digital).

Quite right, but perhaps worth mentioning the problem that if one uses
W98/SE fdisk.exe to define the partitions on a larger disk it cannot see
the whole disk, and this may be mis-interpreted as a W98 OS problem.

There is a fixed fdisk.exe, and it can be downloaded from MS as an
update via MS KB Q263044.
There was also an issue with certain old Phoenix BIOSes, fixed with
KB Q243450.
--
Roger Hunt