usb audio line in

I have just purchased a Terretec USB Phono Preamp studio.
I have installed it and its software according to
instructions.
The USB device installs with the built in microsoft driver.
It is listed as a recording device and can have it's level
set.
The USB does not appear listed as a playback device.
As such it has no volume control or mute button associated
to it.

My problem is that in Roxio 5 Sound Editor when I click
the "mic" I can see Level activity but no sound from
speakers.

I can click to record and all records ok (sound trace
working) but no sound from speakers
When I stop and play back the track it plays fine.
My problem is if I cannot here the recording I cannot tell
if there are any problems with the sound.
I am having no joy with tech support at Terratec. They say
if it run's there software OK which it does (while
recording you can here sound with there software) Then
they do not want to know.

I have this running on a Dell laptop with w2k sp4 I have
also tried it on a new dell 8300 with xp pro sp1
Both give the same result.
I have checked all sound input and output levels in mixers
both windows and sound card(xp) all set correct where
visible.

Can anyone help?
1 answer Last reply
More about audio line

    marksboardname wrote:

    > I have just purchased a Terretec USB Phono Preamp studio.
    > I have installed it and its software according to
    > instructions.
    > The USB device installs with the built in microsoft driver.
    > It is listed as a recording device and can have it's level
    > set.
    > The USB does not appear listed as a playback device.
    > As such it has no volume control or mute button associated
    > to it.
    >
    > My problem is that in Roxio 5 Sound Editor when I click
    > the "mic" I can see Level activity but no sound from
    > speakers.
    >
    > I can click to record and all records ok (sound trace
    > working) but no sound from speakers
    > When I stop and play back the track it plays fine.
    > My problem is if I cannot here the recording I cannot tell
    > if there are any problems with the sound.
    > I am having no joy with tech support at Terratec. They say
    > if it run's there software OK which it does (while
    > recording you can here sound with there software) Then
    > they do not want to know.
    >
    > I have this running on a Dell laptop with w2k sp4 I have
    > also tried it on a new dell 8300 with xp pro sp1
    > Both give the same result.
    > I have checked all sound input and output levels in mixers
    > both windows and sound card(xp) all set correct where
    > visible.
    >
    > Can anyone help?

    If this device installs its own sound interface perhaps it needs to have
    the default sound devices set internally? It "sounds" like the audio
    card has been bypassed in one place and not set on in another. Does the
    device show up in the sounds and audio devices control panel as an
    option to the default sound card?

USB Devices Microsoft Windows XP