IC7-G Corsair memory?

Last response: in Motherboards
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
April 15, 2004 10:51:22 PM

Hallo ,
I want to buy memory for the ic7-g board.
Have 2 options
First: Corsair XMS3200 DDR400 512MB Cas 2
at 142 euro

Second : 2x256 Corsair Twinx CL 2.0 matched pair at
209 euro.

Witch memory is the best??,i am not an overclocker
Thanks for any advice ,grtz , Maarten- Holland.
zeesea@nospamkabelfoon.nl (remove nospam).

More about : ic7 corsair memory

Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
April 15, 2004 10:51:23 PM

"Maarten" <zeesea@nospamkabelfoon.nl> wrote in message
> Hallo ,
> I want to buy memory for the ic7-g board.
> Have 2 options
> First: Corsair XMS3200 DDR400 512MB Cas 2
> at 142 euro
>
> Second : 2x256 Corsair Twinx CL 2.0 matched pair at
> 209 euro.
>
> Witch memory is the best??

You must use either two or four sticks to take advantage of the IC7-G's dual
channel memory controller, so of the two options you've listed, the TwinX is
more suited to your board.

However, you could achieve the same result and probably make a cost saving
by simply buying a pair of 256MB XMS3200C2 sticks.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

April 15, 2004 10:51:23 PM

don't bother with the matched pair... if you were going to pay higher costs
for the ram, put it into buying faster ram.

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
over 130,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

"Maarten" <zeesea@nospamkabelfoon.nl> wrote in message
> Hallo ,
> I want to buy memory for the ic7-g board.
> Have 2 options
> First: Corsair XMS3200 DDR400 512MB Cas 2
> at 142 euro
>
> Second : 2x256 Corsair Twinx CL 2.0 matched pair at
> 209 euro.
>
> Witch memory is the best??,i am not an overclocker
> Thanks for any advice ,grtz , Maarten- Holland.
> zeesea@nospamkabelfoon.nl (remove nospam).

a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
April 16, 2004 12:32:53 AM

"Richard Hopkins" <richh@dsl.popex.co.uk> wrote in message
> "Maarten" <zeesea@nospamkabelfoon.nl> wrote in message
> > Hallo ,
> > I want to buy memory for the ic7-g board.
> > Have 2 options
> > First: Corsair XMS3200 DDR400 512MB Cas 2
> > at 142 euro
> >
> > Second : 2x256 Corsair Twinx CL 2.0 matched pair at
> > 209 euro.
> >
> > Witch memory is the best??
>
> You must use either two or four sticks to take advantage of the IC7-G's
dual
> channel memory controller, so of the two options you've listed, the TwinX
is
> more suited to your board.
>
> However, you could achieve the same result and probably make a cost saving
> by simply buying a pair of 256MB XMS3200C2 sticks.
> --
>

> Richard Hopkins
> Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
> (replace .nospam with .com in reply address)
>
> The UK's leading technology reseller www.dabs.com
> Get the most out of your digital photos www.dabsxpose.com

I'm looking to do the same with an IS-7, Does the memory NOT HAVE to be
matched then?
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
April 16, 2004 1:01:38 AM

"Nick Dalton" wrote in message...
> I'm looking to do the same with an IS-7, Does the memory
> NOT HAVE to be matched then?

It ideally wants to be the same timing and overall specification, yes (in
other words don't expect optimal performance from one stick of PC4000 and
another of PC2100), but this talk of so-called "matched" dual-channel
specific memory is largely bollocks.

At end of day two sticks of Corsair XMS4000 (or any other quality,
mainstream memory brand) purchased at the same time should be just as
closely matched in their timing performance as anything you will find in
these so-called "matched" packages. The difference is that you don't pay
extra for the sales bullshit.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
April 16, 2004 5:34:33 AM

"TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> wrote in message
> don't bother with the matched pair... if you were going to pay higher
> costs for the ram, put it into buying faster ram.

Clarification maybe needed there Tom. Don't know if you noticed but Maarten
was comparing a single 512MB stick with a pair of 256's. Even if you forget
about all the "matched pair" rubbish, it's certainly better to buy a pair of
sticks than it is to buy one when you have a dual channel board. ;)

As I said, it's not worth paying extra for "matched" sticks, but it
certainly is worth buying two sticks rather than one...
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

April 16, 2004 11:43:58 AM

agreed, completely. I did miss that the OP was comparing a single stick to
a dual stick configuration...

--

> "TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> wrote in message
> > don't bother with the matched pair... if you were going to pay higher
> > costs for the ram, put it into buying faster ram.
>
> Clarification maybe needed there Tom. Don't know if you noticed but
Maarten
> was comparing a single 512MB stick with a pair of 256's. Even if you
forget
> about all the "matched pair" rubbish, it's certainly better to buy a pair
of
> sticks than it is to buy one when you have a dual channel board. ;)
>
> As I said, it's not worth paying extra for "matched" sticks, but it
> certainly is worth buying two sticks rather than one...
> --
>

> Richard Hopkins
> Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
> (replace .nospam with .com in reply address)
>
> The UK's leading technology reseller www.dabs.com
> Get the most out of your digital photos www.dabsxpose.com

Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
April 16, 2004 4:48:47 PM

Aah! but MY matched pair light up so that I can tell when the memory is
being read. I regularly invite the neighbours in to spend the odd hour
watching this marvel.
April 16, 2004 4:48:48 PM

LOL!

--

"h2so4" <elly.fant@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> Aah! but MY matched pair light up so that I can tell when the memory is
> being read. I regularly invite the neighbours in to spend the odd hour
> watching this marvel.

April 16, 2004 7:42:14 PM

The winter nights must fly by......

;~)

Morgan
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
April 16, 2004 10:19:01 PM

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 12:48:47 +0100, "h2so4"
<elly.fant@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>Aah! but MY matched pair light up so that I can tell when the memory is
>being read. I regularly invite the neighbours in to spend the odd hour
>watching this marvel.

Does running memory tests look really good, then? ;-)

patrickp

a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
April 18, 2004 7:27:57 AM

> Does running memory tests look really good, then? ;-)

You betcha! :-)
!