IC7-G Corsair memory?

Hallo ,
I want to buy memory for the ic7-g board.
Have 2 options
First: Corsair XMS3200 DDR400 512MB Cas 2
at 142 euro

Second : 2x256 Corsair Twinx CL 2.0 matched pair at
209 euro.

Witch memory is the best??,i am not an overclocker
Thanks for any advice ,grtz , Maarten- Holland.
zeesea@nospamkabelfoon.nl (remove nospam).
11 answers Last reply
More about corsair memory

    "Maarten" <zeesea@nospamkabelfoon.nl> wrote in message
    > Hallo ,
    > I want to buy memory for the ic7-g board.
    > Have 2 options
    > First: Corsair XMS3200 DDR400 512MB Cas 2
    > at 142 euro
    >
    > Second : 2x256 Corsair Twinx CL 2.0 matched pair at
    > 209 euro.
    >
    > Witch memory is the best??

    You must use either two or four sticks to take advantage of the IC7-G's dual
    channel memory controller, so of the two options you've listed, the TwinX is
    more suited to your board.

    However, you could achieve the same result and probably make a cost saving
    by simply buying a pair of 256MB XMS3200C2 sticks.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    don't bother with the matched pair... if you were going to pay higher costs
    for the ram, put it into buying faster ram.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 130,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    "Maarten" <zeesea@nospamkabelfoon.nl> wrote in message
    > Hallo ,
    > I want to buy memory for the ic7-g board.
    > Have 2 options
    > First: Corsair XMS3200 DDR400 512MB Cas 2
    > at 142 euro
    >
    > Second : 2x256 Corsair Twinx CL 2.0 matched pair at
    > 209 euro.
    >
    > Witch memory is the best??,i am not an overclocker
    > Thanks for any advice ,grtz , Maarten- Holland.
    > zeesea@nospamkabelfoon.nl (remove nospam).

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    "Richard Hopkins" <richh@dsl.popex.co.uk> wrote in message
    > "Maarten" <zeesea@nospamkabelfoon.nl> wrote in message
    > > Hallo ,
    > > I want to buy memory for the ic7-g board.
    > > Have 2 options
    > > First: Corsair XMS3200 DDR400 512MB Cas 2
    > > at 142 euro
    > >
    > > Second : 2x256 Corsair Twinx CL 2.0 matched pair at
    > > 209 euro.
    > >
    > > Witch memory is the best??
    >
    > You must use either two or four sticks to take advantage of the IC7-G's
    dual
    > channel memory controller, so of the two options you've listed, the TwinX
    is
    > more suited to your board.
    >
    > However, you could achieve the same result and probably make a cost saving
    > by simply buying a pair of 256MB XMS3200C2 sticks.
    > --
    >

    > Richard Hopkins
    > Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
    > (replace .nospam with .com in reply address)
    >
    > The UK's leading technology reseller www.dabs.com
    > Get the most out of your digital photos www.dabsxpose.com

    I'm looking to do the same with an IS-7, Does the memory NOT HAVE to be
    matched then?
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    "Nick Dalton" wrote in message...
    > I'm looking to do the same with an IS-7, Does the memory
    > NOT HAVE to be matched then?

    It ideally wants to be the same timing and overall specification, yes (in
    other words don't expect optimal performance from one stick of PC4000 and
    another of PC2100), but this talk of so-called "matched" dual-channel
    specific memory is largely bollocks.

    At end of day two sticks of Corsair XMS4000 (or any other quality,
    mainstream memory brand) purchased at the same time should be just as
    closely matched in their timing performance as anything you will find in
    these so-called "matched" packages. The difference is that you don't pay
    extra for the sales bullshit.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    "TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> wrote in message
    > don't bother with the matched pair... if you were going to pay higher
    > costs for the ram, put it into buying faster ram.

    Clarification maybe needed there Tom. Don't know if you noticed but Maarten
    was comparing a single 512MB stick with a pair of 256's. Even if you forget
    about all the "matched pair" rubbish, it's certainly better to buy a pair of
    sticks than it is to buy one when you have a dual channel board. ;)

    As I said, it's not worth paying extra for "matched" sticks, but it
    certainly is worth buying two sticks rather than one...
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    agreed, completely. I did miss that the OP was comparing a single stick to
    a dual stick configuration...

    --

    > "TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> wrote in message
    > > don't bother with the matched pair... if you were going to pay higher
    > > costs for the ram, put it into buying faster ram.
    >
    > Clarification maybe needed there Tom. Don't know if you noticed but
    Maarten
    > was comparing a single 512MB stick with a pair of 256's. Even if you
    forget
    > about all the "matched pair" rubbish, it's certainly better to buy a pair
    of
    > sticks than it is to buy one when you have a dual channel board. ;)
    >
    > As I said, it's not worth paying extra for "matched" sticks, but it
    > certainly is worth buying two sticks rather than one...
    > --
    >

    > Richard Hopkins
    > Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
    > (replace .nospam with .com in reply address)
    >
    > The UK's leading technology reseller www.dabs.com
    > Get the most out of your digital photos www.dabsxpose.com

  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Aah! but MY matched pair light up so that I can tell when the memory is
    being read. I regularly invite the neighbours in to spend the odd hour
    watching this marvel.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    LOL!

    --

    "h2so4" <elly.fant@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

    > Aah! but MY matched pair light up so that I can tell when the memory is
    > being read. I regularly invite the neighbours in to spend the odd hour
    > watching this marvel.

  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    The winter nights must fly by......

    ;~)

    Morgan
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 12:48:47 +0100, "h2so4"
    <elly.fant@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

    >Aah! but MY matched pair light up so that I can tell when the memory is
    >being read. I regularly invite the neighbours in to spend the odd hour
    >watching this marvel.

    Does running memory tests look really good, then? ;-)

    patrickp

  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    > Does running memory tests look really good, then? ;-)

    You betcha! :-)

Corsair Memory Motherboards