Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

just bought an abit motherboard (for repacement of dead ecs board on
emachines computer), but having problems. when i hit the power switch, i
get a slight cpu fan bump, but nothing else. not sure if i have a bad
board, or something else. this is the first time i've attmepted a mother
board replacement, so maybe i did something wrong.
--
Don

Jim

Hmm, it's not that simple to swap just *any* ol' motherboard as a
replacement, different motherboards have different chipsets, components
(SATA, RAID, USB 2.0 vs 1.0, Firewire, on-board audio, etc.), and assuming
you eventually *do* boot it, please realize you may encounter a secondary
problem, getting the OS to boot! If this is XP, you will need to do a
repair install, at a minimum, and perhaps even reactivate. And a repair
install is not even a 100% guarantee, it *may* require a completely new
install of the OS, which means you need a "retail" version of XP, not some
OEM version that came w/ the emachine.

Anyway, I'm not doing this to scare you, only to save you some frsutration
should you even get past this immediate problem. You may want (even need)
to consider using the *same* mobo make and model if your other options are
limited (e.g., you only have the OEM OS CD).

As far as the system not booting, a lot of things could go wrong. First,
make sure the CPU is seated fully into the ZIF socket. Also make sure the
HSF is in good contact w/ the CPU, and oriented correctly. The CPU fan, of
course, you be connected to the CPU FAN header on the mobo. You must have
at least one stick of memory installed. Also, you can have problems
starting if you have the polarity on something is reversed, like an internal
USB motherboard cable. And make sure the small, little two-wire plugs for
the Power and Reset jumpers on the mobo are not reversed. If this is a
Intel P4, make sure the secondary P4 power cable is inserted into the mobo
(that's the smaller 4 pin connector).

All you need to get the system booted is the CPU, HSF, 1 stick of memory,
and a video card, that's it. If problems persist, detach anything else,
eliminate any other source of the problem. Once it boots, then add the HDs,
optical drives, sound card, etc.

HTH

Jim

"Don" <donaldebert@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> just bought an abit motherboard (for repacement of dead ecs board on
> emachines computer), but having problems. when i hit the power switch, i
> get a slight cpu fan bump, but nothing else. not sure if i have a bad
> board, or something else. this is the first time i've attmepted a mother
> board replacement, so maybe i did something wrong.
> --
> Don

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

thanks for the suggestions. as far as the operating system problems - i am
aware, in fact i tried a like-for-like replacement used board i found on
e-bay - but it had bad video, so i bought a new one from differnet mfgr, as
the original board is no longer available. i'll try disconnecting everything
except memory, and cpu can you tell me what HFS is (fan?)?

thks - Don.

"Jim" <null@null.com> wrote in message
> Hmm, it's not that simple to swap just *any* ol' motherboard as a
> replacement, different motherboards have different chipsets, components
> (SATA, RAID, USB 2.0 vs 1.0, Firewire, on-board audio, etc.), and assuming
> you eventually *do* boot it, please realize you may encounter a secondary
> problem, getting the OS to boot! If this is XP, you will need to do a
> repair install, at a minimum, and perhaps even reactivate. And a repair
> install is not even a 100% guarantee, it *may* require a completely new
> install of the OS, which means you need a "retail" version of XP, not some
> OEM version that came w/ the emachine.
>
> Anyway, I'm not doing this to scare you, only to save you some frsutration
> should you even get past this immediate problem. You may want (even need)
> to consider using the *same* mobo make and model if your other options are
> limited (e.g., you only have the OEM OS CD).
>
> As far as the system not booting, a lot of things could go wrong. First,
> make sure the CPU is seated fully into the ZIF socket. Also make sure the
> HSF is in good contact w/ the CPU, and oriented correctly. The CPU fan,
of
> course, you be connected to the CPU FAN header on the mobo. You must have
> at least one stick of memory installed. Also, you can have problems
> starting if you have the polarity on something is reversed, like an
internal
> USB motherboard cable. And make sure the small, little two-wire plugs for
> the Power and Reset jumpers on the mobo are not reversed. If this is a
> Intel P4, make sure the secondary P4 power cable is inserted into the mobo
> (that's the smaller 4 pin connector).
>
> All you need to get the system booted is the CPU, HSF, 1 stick of memory,
> and a video card, that's it. If problems persist, detach anything else,
> eliminate any other source of the problem. Once it boots, then add the
HDs,
> optical drives, sound card, etc.
>
> HTH
>
> Jim
>

> "Don" <donaldebert@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > just bought an abit motherboard (for repacement of dead ecs board on
> > emachines computer), but having problems. when i hit the power switch,
> > get a slight cpu fan bump, but nothing else. not sure if i have a bad
> > board, or something else. this is the first time i've attmepted a mother
> > board replacement, so maybe i did something wrong.
> > --
> > Don

Jim

HSF is "heatsink/fan"