kd7 weird dma problem

when i initially installed a cdwriter on this machine i could never
enable dma on that drive. the drive would dissappear from explorer,
would not be recognized by nero, etc. I used a dvdrom on secondary
slave. the dvdrom drive would work fine with dma enabled and finally i
gave up trying and used the cdwriter with PIO mode only. now that i
have upgraded my cdwriter to a dvdwriter i am faced with exactly the
same problem. i know i can increase my write speeds if i can get the
devices to allow dma, but how??
mboard-kd7 vanilla (no raid, no serial ata, etc)
running winxp sp1
primary master -80gb WD hdd
primary slave -20gb maxtor
sec. master -afreey 12x dvdrom drive
sec. slave -liteon ldw-451s 4x dvdwriter
PS- i tried switching the dvdrom and the dvdwriter with the result
that the writer would not accept dma mode in either master or slave
configuration. thanks!

Robbie Wilson wrote:
> when i initially installed a cdwriter on this machine i could never
> enable dma on that drive. the drive would dissappear from explorer,
> would not be recognized by nero, etc. I used a dvdrom on secondary
> slave. the dvdrom drive would work fine with dma enabled and finally i
> gave up trying and used the cdwriter with PIO mode only. now that i
> have upgraded my cdwriter to a dvdwriter i am faced with exactly the
> same problem. i know i can increase my write speeds if i can get the
> devices to allow dma, but how??
> mboard-kd7 vanilla (no raid, no serial ata, etc)
> running winxp sp1
> primary master -80gb WD hdd
> primary slave -20gb maxtor
> sec. master -afreey 12x dvdrom drive
> sec. slave -liteon ldw-451s 4x dvdwriter
> PS- i tried switching the dvdrom and the dvdwriter with the result
> that the writer would not accept dma mode in either master or slave
> configuration. thanks!

This article may help explain why you're having the problem. Near the
bottom of the page, it shows you how to enable DMA (if XP will allow
it).
One other thought; you should be using a 80 conductor, 40 pin IDE cable.
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hwdev/tech/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 14:29:31 -0400, "ICee" <icee@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>Robbie Wilson wrote:
>> when i initially installed a cdwriter on this machine i could never
>> enable dma on that drive. the drive would dissappear from explorer,
>> would not be recognized by nero, etc. I used a dvdrom on secondary
>> slave. the dvdrom drive would work fine with dma enabled and finally i
>> gave up trying and used the cdwriter with PIO mode only. now that i
>> have upgraded my cdwriter to a dvdwriter i am faced with exactly the
>> same problem. i know i can increase my write speeds if i can get the
>> devices to allow dma, but how??
>> mboard-kd7 vanilla (no raid, no serial ata, etc)
>> running winxp sp1
>> primary master -80gb WD hdd
>> primary slave -20gb maxtor
>> sec. master -afreey 12x dvdrom drive
>> sec. slave -liteon ldw-451s 4x dvdwriter
>> PS- i tried switching the dvdrom and the dvdwriter with the result
>> that the writer would not accept dma mode in either master or slave
>> configuration. thanks!
>
>This article may help explain why you're having the problem. Near the
>bottom of the page, it shows you how to enable DMA (if XP will allow
>it).
>One other thought; you should be using a 80 conductor, 40 pin IDE cable.
>http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hwdev/tech/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx

ICee-
Thanks for the help. Somehow tho, I've been able to change both
optical drives from PIO mode by disabling UDMA access for the
secondary ide channel in the bios. now both drives are running in:
Multi-word DMA mode2 - whatever that is... hopefully since it has the
word DMA in it then it is at least a little faster than PIO mode...
PS- I am using a ata133-80conductor/40pin cable... forgot to mention
it. If someone out there still wants to help me get these drives
working in Ultra DMA mode- please! thanks everyone.
Robbie

Robbie Wilson wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 14:29:31 -0400, "ICee" <icee@nospam.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> Robbie Wilson wrote:
>>> when i initially installed a cdwriter on this machine i could never
>>> enable dma on that drive. the drive would dissappear from explorer,
>>> would not be recognized by nero, etc. I used a dvdrom on secondary
>>> slave. the dvdrom drive would work fine with dma enabled and
>>> finally i gave up trying and used the cdwriter with PIO mode only.
>>> now that i have upgraded my cdwriter to a dvdwriter i am faced with
>>> exactly the same problem. i know i can increase my write speeds if
>>> i can get the devices to allow dma, but how??
>>> mboard-kd7 vanilla (no raid, no serial ata, etc)
>>> running winxp sp1
>>> primary master -80gb WD hdd
>>> primary slave -20gb maxtor
>>> sec. master -afreey 12x dvdrom drive
>>> sec. slave -liteon ldw-451s 4x dvdwriter
>>> PS- i tried switching the dvdrom and the dvdwriter with the result
>>> that the writer would not accept dma mode in either master or slave
>>> configuration. thanks!
>>
>> This article may help explain why you're having the problem. Near
>> the bottom of the page, it shows you how to enable DMA (if XP will
>> allow it).
>> One other thought; you should be using a 80 conductor, 40 pin IDE
>> cable. http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hwdev/tech/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx
>>
> ICee-
> Thanks for the help. Somehow tho, I've been able to change both
> optical drives from PIO mode by disabling UDMA access for the
> secondary ide channel in the bios. now both drives are running in:
> Multi-word DMA mode2 - whatever that is... hopefully since it has the
> word DMA in it then it is at least a little faster than PIO mode...
> PS- I am using a ata133-80conductor/40pin cable... forgot to mention
> it. If someone out there still wants to help me get these drives
> working in Ultra DMA mode- please! thanks everyone.
> Robbie

Well, you're up to 16.6 MB/s transfer speed with Multiword DMA Mode 2
(twice POI mode 4 speed). Have you tried the DVD-RW drive alone as
master on the cable; does UDMA work then? What is the maximum transfer
speed of the DVD-RW?

I would try another cable and install the DVD-RW drive as master and the
other as slave. Some CD-RW/DVD-RW drives must be set as master for them
to work correctly.

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 17:05:56 -0400, "ICee" <icee@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>Robbie Wilson wrote:
>> On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 14:29:31 -0400, "ICee" <icee@nospam.invalid>
>> wrote:

>>> This article may help explain why you're having the problem. Near
>>> the bottom of the page, it shows you how to enable DMA (if XP will
>>> allow it).
>>> One other thought; you should be using a 80 conductor, 40 pin IDE
>>> cable. http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hwdev/tech/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx
>>>
>> ICee-
>> Thanks for the help. Somehow tho, I've been able to change both
>> optical drives from PIO mode by disabling UDMA access for the
>> secondary ide channel in the bios. now both drives are running in:
>> Multi-word DMA mode2 - whatever that is... hopefully since it has the
>> word DMA in it then it is at least a little faster than PIO mode...
>> PS- I am using a ata133-80conductor/40pin cable... forgot to mention
>> it. If someone out there still wants to help me get these drives
>> working in Ultra DMA mode- please! thanks everyone.
>> Robbie
>
>Well, you're up to 16.6 MB/s transfer speed with Multiword DMA Mode 2
>(twice POI mode 4 speed). Have you tried the DVD-RW drive alone as
>master on the cable; does UDMA work then? What is the maximum transfer
>speed of the DVD-RW?
>
>I would try another cable and install the DVD-RW drive as master and the
>other as slave. Some CD-RW/DVD-RW drives must be set as master for them
>to work correctly.

Icee-
I'm going to try to enable UDMA with only the dvd burner installed as
master on the 2ndary ide cable- if that works then the Afreey dvdrom
drive is the suspected culprit in the whole deal; ironically it has
had no trouble being set as UDMA !! :) It kindof figures. :)

Robbie Wilson wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 17:05:56 -0400, "ICee" <icee@nospam.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> Robbie Wilson wrote:

>>> ICee-
>>> Thanks for the help. Somehow tho, I've been able to change both
>>> optical drives from PIO mode by disabling UDMA access for the
>>> secondary ide channel in the bios. now both drives are running in:
>>> Multi-word DMA mode2 - whatever that is... hopefully since it has
>>> the word DMA in it then it is at least a little faster than PIO
>>> mode... PS- I am using a ata133-80conductor/40pin cable... forgot
>>> to mention it. If someone out there still wants to help me get
>>> these drives working in Ultra DMA mode- please! thanks everyone.
>>> Robbie
>>
>> Well, you're up to 16.6 MB/s transfer speed with Multiword DMA Mode 2
>> (twice POI mode 4 speed). Have you tried the DVD-RW drive alone as
>> master on the cable; does UDMA work then? What is the maximum
>> transfer speed of the DVD-RW?
>>
>> I would try another cable and install the DVD-RW drive as master and
>> the other as slave. Some CD-RW/DVD-RW drives must be set as master
>> for them to work correctly.
>>
> Icee-
> I'm going to try to enable UDMA with only the dvd burner installed as
> master on the 2ndary ide cable- if that works then the Afreey dvdrom
> drive is the suspected culprit in the whole deal; ironically it has
> had no trouble being set as UDMA !! :) It kindof figures. :)

Sounds like a plan. Yes, sometimes different drives don't like to play
well with others. :) Post back with the results and we'll go from
there.

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 18:19:39 -0400, "ICee" <icee@deadpeople.invalid>
wrote:

>Robbie Wilson wrote:
>> On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 17:05:56 -0400, "ICee" <icee@nospam.invalid>
>> wrote:

>>> Well, you're up to 16.6 MB/s transfer speed with Multiword DMA Mode 2
>>> (twice POI mode 4 speed). Have you tried the DVD-RW drive alone as
>>> master on the cable; does UDMA work then? What is the maximum
>>> transfer speed of the DVD-RW?
>>>
>>> I would try another cable and install the DVD-RW drive as master and
>>> the other as slave. Some CD-RW/DVD-RW drives must be set as master
>>> for them to work correctly.
>>>
>> Icee-
>> I'm going to try to enable UDMA with only the dvd burner installed as
>> master on the 2ndary ide cable- if that works then the Afreey dvdrom
>> drive is the suspected culprit in the whole deal; ironically it has
>> had no trouble being set as UDMA !! :) It kindof figures. :)
>
>Sounds like a plan. Yes, sometimes different drives don't like to play
>well with others. :) Post back with the results and we'll go from
>there.

Icee- I got my copy of Nero finally so was able to play with the
drives- and since I can do onthefly cd copies in about 6-7minutes and
dvd copies in about 10-11minutes (that doesn't include decoding
time-just burning time!) I am gonna leave everything like it is for a
while. at least I'm not running in PIO and I feel like the drive is
plenty fast as far as burn speed. especially for a 4x drive. Thanks
again for the help-
-robbie

Robbie Wilson wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 18:19:39 -0400, "ICee" <icee@deadpeople.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> Robbie Wilson wrote:

>>> Icee-
>>> I'm going to try to enable UDMA with only the dvd burner installed
>>> as master on the 2ndary ide cable- if that works then the Afreey
>>> dvdrom drive is the suspected culprit in the whole deal; ironically
>>> it has had no trouble being set as UDMA !! :) It kindof figures. :)
>>
>> Sounds like a plan. Yes, sometimes different drives don't like to
>> play well with others. :) Post back with the results and we'll go
>> from there.
>>
> Icee- I got my copy of Nero finally so was able to play with the
> drives- and since I can do onthefly cd copies in about 6-7minutes and
> dvd copies in about 10-11minutes (that doesn't include decoding
> time-just burning time!) I am gonna leave everything like it is for a
> while. at least I'm not running in PIO and I feel like the drive is
> plenty fast as far as burn speed. especially for a 4x drive. Thanks
> again for the help-
> -robbie

Sounds good. Thanks for the update, and you're welcome.