Here's hoping someone can help me.......

I've had a great system built around an A17 for a few months now, and
suddenly, yesterday it crashed; for I think the first time ever. Now it
won't even begin to boot.

All electrics fire up, but the POST gets no further than long repeated beeps
and error code AF on the MOB's LED display. There's no video, no floppy
access, hard-drive light is on but steady, and I've cleared the CMOS
countless times with all power leads disconnected. Still nothing. I can't
find what the long, single beep code means anywhere, and 'AF' isn't listed
in the A17 manual.

BTW it wasn't overclocked when this happened.

Any Help and advice would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks.

Simon

Have you tried removing and reseating the memory, or running it with one of
your (presumably two) sticks? IIRC, AF is a memory count error.

Beyond that, removing and reseating all the components might not be a bad
step to try
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

sounds RAM related... with all power removed, try reseating the ram and
then clear the CMOS and try to see if the system will come up. another
thing you can try is holding down the insert key during power on which
usually causes safe-mode defaults to be employed during the boot.

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
over 130,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

"Simon Cochrane" <simon.cochrane@rollvt.com> wrote in message
> Here's hoping someone can help me.......
>
> I've had a great system built around an A17 for a few months now, and
> suddenly, yesterday it crashed; for I think the first time ever. Now it
> won't even begin to boot.
>
> All electrics fire up, but the POST gets no further than long repeated
beeps
> and error code AF on the MOB's LED display. There's no video, no floppy
> access, hard-drive light is on but steady, and I've cleared the CMOS
> countless times with all power leads disconnected. Still nothing. I can't
> find what the long, single beep code means anywhere, and 'AF' isn't listed
> in the A17 manual.
>
> BTW it wasn't overclocked when this happened.
>
> Any Help and advice would be much appreciated.
>
> Many Thanks.
>
> Simon

Richard....

Many thanks for you response......

Removing the memory modules and reseating them was the first thing I tried,
but it didn't seem to help. I didn't try running with just one stick though.

Time to try...and I'll re-seat everything else while I'm about it.

BTW.....should I suspect a faulty CPU at all?

Best wishes!

Have you tried removing and reseating the memory, or running it with one of
> your (presumably two) sticks? IIRC, AF is a memory count error.
>
> Beyond that, removing and reseating all the components might not be a bad
> step to try
> --
>

> Richard Hopkins
> Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
> (replace .nospam with .com in reply address)
>
> The UK's leading technology reseller www.dabs.com
> Get the most out of your digital photos www.dabsxpose.com

Thanks All..... for your good advice....all of which I've followed to the
letter......but without success...paradoxically.

BUT.....my problem is solved, probably more by fluke than expertise.

I knew I had to try and clear the CMOS settings. That was fundamental. But
following the usual procedure just didn't work. So in pure desperation
(dangerous I know) I shorted the clear-CMOS jumpers while powered-up, and
the system hung, of course. But when I put the jumpers back to their default
position and rebooted, everything came back to life. RAM, Processor and
everything else is working just as it was before. Weird, I know...but there
we are.

So thanks for thinking of me, and replying so quickly. My system is now just
hunky-dory....again. I don't know if this a unique fix, but in some ways I
hope not. Perhaps it could be useful to someone else one day.

Best wishes

Simon