Maximus

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2003

When i try printing a pdf file it takes forever(literally). I check the
printer spool and see that the document size shown as 120MB. now i know that
the pdf file is about 20Kb. I have a HP1300 printer. Does anyone have a clue
as to why this is happenning? I would appreciate any help. thanks.

There is overhead required to print the file. If you have
Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 try opening the PDF (I do it
all the time) and save it as a jpeg for the web. It will be
reduced in size. Much easier to print or email. I haven't
tried it yet, but I think you can save a jpeg as PDF.

"Maximus" <shitij_T@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| When i try printing a pdf file it takes
forever(literally). I check the
| printer spool and see that the document size shown as
120MB. now i know that
| the pdf file is about 20Kb. I have a HP1300 printer. Does
anyone have a clue
| as to why this is happenning? I would appreciate any help.
thanks.

Maximus

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2003

how much over head? the pdf file size i am printing is only 20KB, so is
there any reason why (in the printer spool window) does it show the same pdf
file as being 120MB. no i dont have photoshop. does anything strike you?
thanks a lot for ur help.

> There is overhead required to print the file. If you have
> Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 try opening the PDF (I do it
> all the time) and save it as a jpeg for the web. It will be
> reduced in size. Much easier to print or email. I haven't
> tried it yet, but I think you can save a jpeg as PDF.
>

> "Maximus" <shitij_T@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> | When i try printing a pdf file it takes
> forever(literally). I check the
> | printer spool and see that the document size shown as
> 120MB. now i know that
> | the pdf file is about 20Kb. I have a HP1300 printer. Does
> anyone have a clue
> | as to why this is happenning? I would appreciate any help.
> thanks.

I have no idea of the configuration or ideal size of the
file as it is printed. I just know that the printer has to
convert the 20 MB of data in the file to printer commands.
A PDF is basically just another picture format and there is
a lot of data to convert for printing. You are using the
print button in the Adobe Reader program?

You might contact Adobe and ask on an HP newsgroup? Sorry I
can't be of more help.

The Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 program will open a PDF as
a PSD file, but text is not clear. Just for info...

| how much over head? the pdf file size i am printing is
only 20KB, so is
| there any reason why (in the printer spool window) does it
show the same pdf
| file as being 120MB. no i dont have photoshop. does
anything strike you?
| thanks a lot for ur help.

in message
| > There is overhead required to print the file. If you
have
| > Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 try opening the PDF (I do
it
| > all the time) and save it as a jpeg for the web. It
will be
| > reduced in size. Much easier to print or email. I
haven't
| > tried it yet, but I think you can save a jpeg as PDF.
| >

| > "Maximus" <shitij_T@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| > | When i try printing a pdf file it takes
| > forever(literally). I check the
| > | printer spool and see that the document size shown as
| > 120MB. now i know that
| > | the pdf file is about 20Kb. I have a HP1300 printer.
Does
| > anyone have a clue
| > | as to why this is happenning? I would appreciate any
help.
| > thanks.
| > |
| > |

Maximus

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2003

thanks for your help, i will keep trying. the pdf is 20 Kilobytes, so thats
why I am surprised as to why the spool window shows it as being 120Mega
bytes. thanks though.
> I have no idea of the configuration or ideal size of the
> file as it is printed. I just know that the printer has to
> convert the 20 MB of data in the file to printer commands.
> A PDF is basically just another picture format and there is
> a lot of data to convert for printing. You are using the
> print button in the Adobe Reader program?
>
> You might contact Adobe and ask on an HP newsgroup? Sorry I
> can't be of more help.
>
> The Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 program will open a PDF as
> a PSD file, but text is not clear. Just for info...
>

> "Maximus" <shitij_T@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> | how much over head? the pdf file size i am printing is
> only 20KB, so is
> | there any reason why (in the printer spool window) does it
> show the same pdf
> | file as being 120MB. no i dont have photoshop. does
> anything strike you?
> | thanks a lot for ur help.
> |

> | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
> in message
> | > There is overhead required to print the file. If you
> have
> | > Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 try opening the PDF (I do
> it
> | > all the time) and save it as a jpeg for the web. It
> will be
> | > reduced in size. Much easier to print or email. I
> haven't
> | > tried it yet, but I think you can save a jpeg as PDF.
> | >

> | > "Maximus" <shitij_T@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> | > forever(literally). I check the
> | > 120MB. now i know that
> Does
> | > anyone have a clue
> help.
> | > thanks.
> | > |
> | > |

I'm sure you have a problem, just don't know what it is. It
could be in the printer drivers or the Adobe program or even
something else.

And yes 20 KB to 120 MB does seem a little too much.

Have you opened the printer properties and purged all
documents in the queue?

| thanks for your help, i will keep trying. the pdf is 20
Kilobytes, so thats
| why I am surprised as to why the spool window shows it as
being 120Mega
| bytes. thanks though.
in message
| > I have no idea of the configuration or ideal size of the
| > file as it is printed. I just know that the printer has
| > convert the 20 MB of data in the file to printer
commands.
| > A PDF is basically just another picture format and there
is
| > a lot of data to convert for printing. You are using
the
| > print button in the Adobe Reader program?
| >
| > You might contact Adobe and ask on an HP newsgroup?
Sorry I
| > can't be of more help.
| >
| > The Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 program will open a PDF
as
| > a PSD file, but text is not clear. Just for info...
| >

| > "Maximus" <shitij_T@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| > | how much over head? the pdf file size i am printing is
| > only 20KB, so is
| > | there any reason why (in the printer spool window)
does it
| > show the same pdf
| > | file as being 120MB. no i dont have photoshop. does
| > anything strike you?
| > | thanks a lot for ur help.
| > |
| > |
| > | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
wrote
| > in message
you
| > have
do
| > it
| > will be
| > haven't
PDF.

printer.
| > Does
any
| > help.
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |

Maximus

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2003

nope, there are no jobs in the queue. i deleted them all. so thats not it.
hmm...the printer installer recommends that I have 256MB memory. i have
192MB at present. could that be it? i will try installing the HP software
with the minimum requirements. lets see if that works. thanks.
> I'm sure you have a problem, just don't know what it is. It
> could be in the printer drivers or the Adobe program or even
> something else.
>
> And yes 20 KB to 120 MB does seem a little too much.
>
> Have you opened the printer properties and purged all
> documents in the queue?
>

> "Maximus" <shitij_T@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> | thanks for your help, i will keep trying. the pdf is 20
> Kilobytes, so thats
> | why I am surprised as to why the spool window shows it as
> being 120Mega
> | bytes. thanks though.
> | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
> in message
> | > I have no idea of the configuration or ideal size of the
> | > file as it is printed. I just know that the printer has
> | > convert the 20 MB of data in the file to printer
> commands.
> | > A PDF is basically just another picture format and there
> is
> | > a lot of data to convert for printing. You are using
> the
> | > print button in the Adobe Reader program?
> | >
> | > You might contact Adobe and ask on an HP newsgroup?
> Sorry I
> | > can't be of more help.
> | >
> | > The Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 program will open a PDF
> as
> | > a PSD file, but text is not clear. Just for info...
> | >

> | > "Maximus" <shitij_T@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> | > only 20KB, so is
> does it
> | > show the same pdf
> | > anything strike you?
> | > |
> | > |
> wrote
> | > in message
> you
> | > have
> do
> | > it
> | > will be
> | > haven't
> PDF.

> as
> printer.
> | > Does
> any
> | > help.
> | > | > |
> | > | > |

> | > |
> | > |

RAM is very cheap these days. You can buy a 256 MB stick of
what ever kind your mobo requires for the cost of a simple
meal at a sit-down restaurant and 512 isn't a lot more.

Upgrade the RAM, it may not solve the problem with the
over-size file in the queue. But it is possible that it is
just an assigned cache for the printer and it is having to
run it into the pagefile (virtual memory).

| nope, there are no jobs in the queue. i deleted them all.
so thats not it.
| hmm...the printer installer recommends that I have 256MB
memory. i have
| 192MB at present. could that be it? i will try installing
the HP software
| with the minimum requirements. lets see if that works.
thanks.
in message
| > I'm sure you have a problem, just don't know what it is.
It
| > could be in the printer drivers or the Adobe program or
even
| > something else.
| >
| > And yes 20 KB to 120 MB does seem a little too much.
| >
| > Have you opened the printer properties and purged all
| > documents in the queue?
| >

| > "Maximus" <shitij_T@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| > | thanks for your help, i will keep trying. the pdf is
20
| > Kilobytes, so thats
| > | why I am surprised as to why the spool window shows it
as
| > being 120Mega
| > | bytes. thanks though.
| > | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
wrote
| > in message
has
| > commands.
there
| > is
using
| > the

| > Sorry I

PDF
| > as

printing is
| > does it
does
| > | > |
| > | > |
<p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
| > wrote
If
| > you
| > do
It
| > PDF.

message
shown
| > as
| > printer.
appreciate
| > any
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |

| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |

Maximus

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2003

yeah, true..i remember the time(dark ages) when i had 8Mb ram in my pc and
that was considered great.
My dad uses the mentioned computer, so i will convince him to add some
ram to it. lets see how it goes. thanks Jim.

> RAM is very cheap these days. You can buy a 256 MB stick of
> what ever kind your mobo requires for the cost of a simple
> meal at a sit-down restaurant and 512 isn't a lot more.
>
> Upgrade the RAM, it may not solve the problem with the
> over-size file in the queue. But it is possible that it is
> just an assigned cache for the printer and it is having to
> run it into the pagefile (virtual memory).
>

> "Maximus" <shitij_T@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> | nope, there are no jobs in the queue. i deleted them all.
> so thats not it.
> | hmm...the printer installer recommends that I have 256MB
> memory. i have
> | 192MB at present. could that be it? i will try installing
> the HP software
> | with the minimum requirements. lets see if that works.
> thanks.
> | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
> in message
> | > I'm sure you have a problem, just don't know what it is.
> It
> | > could be in the printer drivers or the Adobe program or
> even
> | > something else.
> | >
> | > And yes 20 KB to 120 MB does seem a little too much.
> | >
> | > Have you opened the printer properties and purged all
> | > documents in the queue?
> | >

> | > "Maximus" <shitij_T@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> 20
> | > Kilobytes, so thats
> as
> | > being 120Mega
> wrote
> | > in message
> the
> has
> | > commands.
> there
> | > is
> using
> | > the

> | > Sorry I

> PDF
> | > as

> printing is
> | > does it
> does
> | > | > |
> | > | > |
> <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
> | > wrote
> If
> | > you
> (I
> | > do
> It
> | > PDF.

> message
> shown
> | > as
> | > printer.
> appreciate
> | > any
> | > | > | > |
> | > | > | > |

> | > | > |
> | > | > |

> | > |
> | > |

I found an old computer catalog dated 1996. The biggest TAM
listed was 64 MB if I remember correctly and it was
$3,000.00

Makes those 256 PC 2700 at $28.95 seem like free.

| yeah, true..i remember the time(dark ages) when i had 8Mb
ram in my pc and
| that was considered great.
| My dad uses the mentioned computer, so i will
convince him to add some
| ram to it. lets see how it goes. thanks Jim.

in message
| > RAM is very cheap these days. You can buy a 256 MB
stick of
| > what ever kind your mobo requires for the cost of a
simple
| > meal at a sit-down restaurant and 512 isn't a lot more.
| >
| > Upgrade the RAM, it may not solve the problem with the
| > over-size file in the queue. But it is possible that it
is
| > just an assigned cache for the printer and it is having
| > run it into the pagefile (virtual memory).
| >

| > "Maximus" <shitij_T@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| > | nope, there are no jobs in the queue. i deleted them
all.
| > so thats not it.
| > | hmm...the printer installer recommends that I have
256MB
| > memory. i have
| > | 192MB at present. could that be it? i will try
installing
| > the HP software
| > | with the minimum requirements. lets see if that works.
| > thanks.
| > | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
wrote
| > in message
| > It
| > even

all

is
| > 20
shows it
| > as
<p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
| > wrote
size of
| > the
printer
| > has
and
| > there
| > using

newsgroup?

open a
| > PDF
info...

message
| > printing is
window)
| > does
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
| > <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
| > | > | > |
file.
| > If
PDF
| > (I
web.
| > It
email.
jpeg as

| > message

size
| > shown
HP1300
| > appreciate
| > | > | > | > |
| > | > | > | > |

| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |

| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |

Jim Macklin wrote:

> I found an old computer catalog dated 1996. The biggest TAM
> listed was 64 MB if I remember correctly and it was
> $3,000.00
>
> Makes those 256 PC 2700 at $28.95 seem like free.

I remember the first time I bought RAM, 36 chips for 4 MB at a cost of
$800. And this was half the price it was a month earlier.

> [...]
> | yeah, true..i remember the time(dark ages) when i had 8Mb
> ram in my pc and
> | that was considered great.
> | My dad uses the mentioned computer, so i will
> convince him to add some
> | ram to it. lets see how it goes. thanks Jim.
> |

> | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
> in message
> | > RAM is very cheap these days. You can buy a 256 MB
> stick of
> | > what ever kind your mobo requires for the cost of a
> simple
> | > meal at a sit-down restaurant and 512 isn't a lot more.
> | >
> | > Upgrade the RAM, it may not solve the problem with the
> | > over-size file in the queue. But it is possible that it
> is
> | > just an assigned cache for the printer and it is having
> | > run it into the pagefile (virtual memory).

And those dollars were worth several times more in
purchasing power.

"Michael W. Ryder" <mwryder@_worldnet.att.net> wrote in
message
| Jim Macklin wrote:
|
| > I found an old computer catalog dated 1996. The biggest
TAM
| > listed was 64 MB if I remember correctly and it was
| > $3,000.00
| >
| > Makes those 256 PC 2700 at $28.95 seem like free.
| >

| I remember the first time I bought RAM, 36 chips for 4 MB
at a cost of
| $800. And this was half the price it was a month earlier.
|

| > "Maximus" <shitij_T@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| > | yeah, true..i remember the time(dark ages) when i had
8Mb
| > ram in my pc and
| > | that was considered great.
| > | My dad uses the mentioned computer, so i will
| > convince him to add some
| > | ram to it. lets see how it goes. thanks Jim.
| > |
| > |
| > | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
wrote
| > in message
| > stick of
| > simple
more.

the
that it
| > is
having

them
| > all.
| > 256MB
| > installing
works.
<p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
| > wrote
what it
| > is.
program
| > or

much.

purged
| > all

message
pdf
| > is
| > shows it
| > <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
| > size of
| > printer
printer
format
| > and
are

| > newsgroup?

will
| > open a
| > info...

| > message

| > window)
photoshop.
| > | > | > | > |
| > | > | > | > |
| > | > | > | > |
| > file.
| > PDF
the
| > web.
or
| > email.
| > jpeg as

in

takes
document
| > size
| > HP1300
| > | > | > | > | > |
| > | > | > | > | > |

| > | > | > | > |
| > | > | > | > |

| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |

| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |

Maximus

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2003

hahhahaha....u bet. kinda funny when u think about it :).
> [...]
> | yeah, true..i remember the time(dark ages) when i had 8Mb
> ram in my pc and
> | that was considered great.
> | My dad uses the mentioned computer, so i will
> convince him to add some
> | ram to it. lets see how it goes. thanks Jim.
> |

> | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
> in message
> | > RAM is very cheap these days. You can buy a 256 MB
> stick of
> | > what ever kind your mobo requires for the cost of a
> simple
> | > meal at a sit-down restaurant and 512 isn't a lot more.
> | >
> | > Upgrade the RAM, it may not solve the problem with the
> | > over-size file in the queue. But it is possible that it
> is
> | > just an assigned cache for the printer and it is having
> | > run it into the pagefile (virtual memory).

Big fingers make hurried typing dangerous, RAM not tam.

| hahhahaha....u bet. kinda funny when u think about it :).
in message
| > I found an old computer catalog dated 1996. The biggest
TAM
| > listed was 64 MB if I remember correctly and it was
| > $3,000.00
| >
| > Makes those 256 PC 2700 at $28.95 seem like free.
| >

| > "Maximus" <shitij_T@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| > | yeah, true..i remember the time(dark ages) when i had
8Mb
| > ram in my pc and
| > | that was considered great.
| > | My dad uses the mentioned computer, so i will
| > convince him to add some
| > | ram to it. lets see how it goes. thanks Jim.
| > |
| > |
| > | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
wrote
| > in message
| > stick of
| > simple
more.

the
that it
| > is
having

them
| > all.
| > 256MB
| > installing
works.
<p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
| > wrote
what it
| > is.
program
| > or

much.

purged
| > all

message
pdf
| > is
| > shows it
| > <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
| > size of
| > printer
printer
format
| > and
are

| > newsgroup?

will
| > open a
| > info...

| > message

| > window)
photoshop.
| > | > | > | > |
| > | > | > | > |
| > | > | > | > |
| > file.
| > PDF
the
| > web.
or
| > email.
| > jpeg as

in

takes
document
| > size
| > HP1300
| > | > | > | > | > |
| > | > | > | > | > |

| > | > | > | > |
| > | > | > | > |

| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |

| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |

Try going to HP's website and downloading a postscript driver. PDF's are in
a postscript format. HP's by default install a PCL driver. They usually
offer a PS driver too. Try that.

"Maximus" <shitij_T@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> When i try printing a pdf file it takes forever(literally). I check the
> printer spool and see that the document size shown as 120MB. now i know
that
> the pdf file is about 20Kb. I have a HP1300 printer. Does anyone have a
clue
> as to why this is happenning? I would appreciate any help. thanks.

Maximus

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2003

yeah..that sounds like a good idea. i will try that. thanks.
"Chris Knapp" <dont@spam.me> wrote in message
> Try going to HP's website and downloading a postscript driver. PDF's are
in
> a postscript format. HP's by default install a PCL driver. They usually
> offer a PS driver too. Try that.
>
> "Maximus" <shitij_T@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > When i try printing a pdf file it takes forever(literally). I check the
> > printer spool and see that the document size shown as 120MB. now i know
> that
> > the pdf file is about 20Kb. I have a HP1300 printer. Does anyone have a
> clue
> > as to why this is happenning? I would appreciate any help. thanks.

Maximus

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2003

got it. i should have thought of it at first. sometimes these things are
staring at u in the face. the computer had an old/ancient version of adobe
reader, version 4 to be precise :). i downloaded the new one now and
everything is printing fine. thanks for all ur help guys.