IC7 Max-3 ...Raid...SATA...Windows setup restart problem ...

I am using a Max 3 MB, P4 3.2, with 2 80gb Maxtors and a ATI 9800 Pro.
I have setup the 2 SATA drives with the Intel Raid option for raid 0.
The Intel Raid setup shows there being the 152 GB bootable drive.
While running Windows XP setup I click the F6 option for installing
the Serial ATA floppy disc which shows up correctly. Windows installs
files needed for setup without a problem and completes to where it
says This Portion Of Setup Is Complete SYstem Must Restart. I remove
the floppy disc. After reboot it does not continue with the setup it
says booting from CD and restats the windows setup from the beginning
again. I am in a never ending setup loop. If I remove the Windows CD
from the drive at this point in setup and reboot I get the message...
booting from CD...invalid system disc. I have never had this problem
SERIAL ATA drives. Oh by the way I have formatted the drive using
NTFS which was my only option.

Thanks
Rob

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 03:33:10 -0700, fred garvin <fgarvin@home.com>
wrote:

I forgot to mention that when Windows goes to reload it says there is
already a version installed in C:\Windows and would I like to copy
over or format again . Yet Windows keeps restarting setup at this
point.....weird.

>I am using a Max 3 MB, P4 3.2, with 2 80gb Maxtors and a ATI 9800 Pro.
>I have setup the 2 SATA drives with the Intel Raid option for raid 0.
>The Intel Raid setup shows there being the 152 GB bootable drive.
>While running Windows XP setup I click the F6 option for installing
>the Serial ATA floppy disc which shows up correctly. Windows installs
>files needed for setup without a problem and completes to where it
>says This Portion Of Setup Is Complete SYstem Must Restart. I remove
>the floppy disc. After reboot it does not continue with the setup it
>says booting from CD and restats the windows setup from the beginning
>again. I am in a never ending setup loop. If I remove the Windows CD
>from the drive at this point in setup and reboot I get the message...
>booting from CD...invalid system disc. I have never had this problem
>SERIAL ATA drives. Oh by the way I have formatted the drive using
>NTFS which was my only option.
>
>Thanks
>Rob

horndog

"fred garvin" <fgarvin@home.com> wrote in message

> I am using a Max 3 MB, P4 3.2, with 2 80gb Maxtors and a ATI 9800 Pro.
> I have setup the 2 SATA drives with the Intel Raid option for raid 0.
> The Intel Raid setup shows there being the 152 GB bootable drive.
> While running Windows XP setup I click the F6 option for installing
> the Serial ATA floppy disc which shows up correctly. Windows installs
> files needed for setup without a problem and completes to where it
> says This Portion Of Setup Is Complete SYstem Must Restart. I remove
> the floppy disc. After reboot it does not continue with the setup it
> says booting from CD and restats the windows setup from the beginning
> again. I am in a never ending setup loop. If I remove the Windows CD
> from the drive at this point in setup and reboot I get the message...
> booting from CD...invalid system disc. I have never had this problem
> SERIAL ATA drives. Oh by the way I have formatted the drive using
> NTFS which was my only option.
>
> Thanks
> Rob

This is typical behavior for Windows if:
1. Hard drives are not prepared the way XP likes.
2. Ram has errors.

I use memtest to check the ram (works from a floppy or CD) no need to have
OS loaded. Also I use a utility (comes with some Hard drives) to write zeros
on the drives.

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

sounds like you don't have the boot priority set correctly to facilitate
booting off the Intel ICH5R SATA controller. you want ONCHIP SATA to be the
boot device in boot priority.

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
over 130,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

"fred garvin" <fgarvin@home.com> wrote in message

> I am using a Max 3 MB, P4 3.2, with 2 80gb Maxtors and a ATI 9800 Pro.
> I have setup the 2 SATA drives with the Intel Raid option for raid 0.
> The Intel Raid setup shows there being the 152 GB bootable drive.
> While running Windows XP setup I click the F6 option for installing
> the Serial ATA floppy disc which shows up correctly. Windows installs
> files needed for setup without a problem and completes to where it
> says This Portion Of Setup Is Complete SYstem Must Restart. I remove
> the floppy disc. After reboot it does not continue with the setup it
> says booting from CD and restats the windows setup from the beginning
> again. I am in a never ending setup loop. If I remove the Windows CD
> from the drive at this point in setup and reboot I get the message...
> booting from CD...invalid system disc. I have never had this problem
> SERIAL ATA drives. Oh by the way I have formatted the drive using
> NTFS which was my only option.
>
> Thanks
> Rob

Thanks for the reply Tom ....under boot Hard Disc Priority the only
option is Bootable Add-In Device I do not see Onchip SATA.

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 10:12:03 -0400, "TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net>
wrote:

>sounds like you don't have the boot priority set correctly to facilitate
>booting off the Intel ICH5R SATA controller. you want ONCHIP SATA to be the
>boot device in boot priority.

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

right... on my bios, and I realize yours may be different with it being the
MAX3, you have the boot priority which is set to add-in device and then
immediately under that, I have what the add-in device is set to be and that
says OnChip SATA.

--

> Thanks for the reply Tom ....under boot Hard Disc Priority the only
> option is Bootable Add-In Device I do not see Onchip SATA.
>

> On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 10:12:03 -0400, "TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
> >sounds like you don't have the boot priority set correctly to facilitate
> >booting off the Intel ICH5R SATA controller. you want ONCHIP SATA to be
the
> >boot device in boot priority.

Thanks Tom.....I found and changed the priority to both On-chip and
then Onboard SATA and Windows continues to restart after the initial
setup file loading process. When the CD is in the drive Windows
restarts loading, when out I get the invalid system disc errors. It
seems I've checked and changed every possible setting but the board
will not boot to the SATA Raid drives.

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 12:18:44 -0400, "TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net>
wrote:

>right... on my bios, and I realize yours may be different with it being the
>MAX3, you have the boot priority which is set to add-in device and then
>immediately under that, I have what the add-in device is set to be and that
>says OnChip SATA.

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

what other drives are connected to the system? there is a good walkthrough
on the Abit Forums for this issue... you *know* this works as there are a
lot of us, including myself on an IC7-G, running a SATA raid 0 on the Intel
ICH5R controller.

--

> Thanks Tom.....I found and changed the priority to both On-chip and
> then Onboard SATA and Windows continues to restart after the initial
> setup file loading process. When the CD is in the drive Windows
> restarts loading, when out I get the invalid system disc errors. It
> seems I've checked and changed every possible setting but the board
> will not boot to the SATA Raid drives.
>

> On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 12:18:44 -0400, "TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
> >right... on my bios, and I realize yours may be different with it being
the
> >MAX3, you have the boot priority which is set to add-in device and then
> >immediately under that, I have what the add-in device is set to be and
that
> >says OnChip SATA.

joez

Try this...
when pc reboots then go to bios
change first boot you most likely have Cd back to floppy..
Make sure no floppy is in drive anymore...
Let pc boot to Hd..
Windoze will continue installing..
Hope I helped...
Joe

"TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> wrote in message
> what other drives are connected to the system? there is a good
walkthrough
> on the Abit Forums for this issue... you *know* this works as there are a
> lot of us, including myself on an IC7-G, running a SATA raid 0 on the
Intel
> ICH5R controller.
>
> --
>
> Thomas Geery
> Network+ certified
>
> ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
> ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror <----- Cable modem IP
> This IP is dynamic so it *could* change!...
> over 130,000 FTP users served!
> ^^^^^^^
>

> "fred garvin" <fgarvin@home.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Thanks Tom.....I found and changed the priority to both On-chip and
> > then Onboard SATA and Windows continues to restart after the initial
> > setup file loading process. When the CD is in the drive Windows
> > restarts loading, when out I get the invalid system disc errors. It
> > seems I've checked and changed every possible setting but the board
> > will not boot to the SATA Raid drives.
> >

> > On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 12:18:44 -0400, "TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >right... on my bios, and I realize yours may be different with it
being
> the
> > >MAX3, you have the boot priority which is set to add-in device and then
> > >immediately under that, I have what the add-in device is set to be and
> that
> > >says OnChip SATA.

I had also lot of problem setting up the sata raid on ic Gmax. Finally
I was able to set it up on the silicon image controller. This should
work with the default boot priority in the bios. I belatedly
discovered that I had to set the boot prirority to on chip sata raid.

but anyway for couple of days atleast the silicon image set up has
been working nicely.

You may like to know that I had another unrelated problem with
installing xp prof.

The thing will go through, after loo.. ong time it will ask you to
reboot. Then suddenly it said that it cannot find some system file and
stopped.

so I loaded first windows 2000 professional (which had no problem
this time I just rebooted anyway and it magically completed installing
the os.

go figure