router vs software firewall

BENtly

Using XP home, and Yahoo/DSL

I was told if I had a router, I would not need Zone Alarm firewall.

Is that true?

Thsnks

Ben

Hello

Most new routers have built in firewalls and some peolpe
may think that's all you need. But having both hardware and
software is good. Just keep in mind how important your pc and
files are to you, does not hurt to have both or 1, ok.(NO)
Also some router do not have firewalls, so if u got a router
with out firewall then u would need ZoneAlarm

Alvin

bently wrote:

> Using XP home, and Yahoo/DSL
>
> I was told if I had a router, I would not need Zone Alarm firewall.
>
> Is that true?
>
> Thsnks
>
> Ben

A router has the same limitation as the XP default firewall,
it only works one way. A firewall such as Zone Alarm will
monitor in and out-bound traffic and alert you to attempts
by new or changed program to connect to the Internet.

"Alvin Brown" <alvin1@swbell.net> wrote in message
| Hello
|
| Most new routers have built in firewalls and some peolpe
| may think that's all you need. But having both hardware
and
| software is good. Just keep in mind how important your pc
and
| files are to you, does not hurt to have both or 1, ok.(NO)
| Also some router do not have firewalls, so if u got a
router
| with out firewall then u would need ZoneAlarm
|

| Alvin
|

| bently wrote:
|
| > Using XP home, and Yahoo/DSL
| >
| > I was told if I had a router, I would not need Zone
Alarm firewall.

| > Is that true?
| >
| > Thsnks
| >
| > Ben

BENtly

Thanks Alvin & Jim

Thats what I wanted to know.

Ben

Jim Macklin wrote:
> A router has the same limitation as the XP default firewall,
> it only works one way. A firewall such as Zone Alarm will
> monitor in and out-bound traffic and alert you to attempts
> by new or changed program to connect to the Internet.
>

> "Alvin Brown" <alvin1@swbell.net> wrote in message
> | Hello
> |
> | Most new routers have built in firewalls and some peolpe
> | may think that's all you need. But having both hardware
> and
> | software is good. Just keep in mind how important your pc
> and
> | files are to you, does not hurt to have both or 1, ok.(NO)
> | Also some router do not have firewalls, so if u got a
> router
> | with out firewall then u would need ZoneAlarm
> |

> | Alvin
> |

> | bently wrote:
> |
> | > Using XP home, and Yahoo/DSL
> | >
> | > I was told if I had a router, I would not need Zone
> Alarm firewall.
> | >
> | > Is that true?
> | >
> | > Thsnks
> | >
> | > Ben

You're welcome.

"bently" <bently@access.net> wrote in message
| Thanks Alvin & Jim
|
| Thats what I wanted to know.
|
| Ben
|
| Jim Macklin wrote:
| > A router has the same limitation as the XP default
firewall,
| > it only works one way. A firewall such as Zone Alarm
will
| > monitor in and out-bound traffic and alert you to
attempts
| > by new or changed program to connect to the Internet.
| >

| > "Alvin Brown" <alvin1@swbell.net> wrote in message
| > | Hello
| > |
| > | Most new routers have built in firewalls and some
peolpe
| > | may think that's all you need. But having both
hardware
| > and
| > | software is good. Just keep in mind how important your
pc
| > and
| > | files are to you, does not hurt to have both or 1,
ok.(NO)
| > | Also some router do not have firewalls, so if u got a
| > router
| > | with out firewall then u would need ZoneAlarm
| > |
| > |
| > | Alvin
| > |
| > |
| > | bently wrote:
| > |

| > Alarm firewall.

| > |

Greetings --

No, not really.

Like WinXP's built-in firewall, NAT-capable routers do nothing to
protect the user from him/herself. Again -- and I _cannot_ emphasize
this enough -- almost all spyware and many Trojans and worms are
downloaded and installed deliberately (albeit unknowingly) by the
user. So a software firewall, such as Sygate or ZoneAlarm, that can
detect and warn the user of unauthorized out-going traffic is an
important element of protecting one's privacy and security. Most
antivirus applications do not scan for or protect you from
adware/spyware, because, after all, you've installed them yourself, so
you must want them there, right?

Bruce Chambers

--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. -- RAH

> Using XP home, and Yahoo/DSL
>
> I was told if I had a router, I would not need Zone Alarm firewall.
>
> Is that true?
>
> Thsnks
>
> Ben

BENtly

Bruce Chambers wrote:
> Greetings --
>
> No, not really.
>
> Like WinXP's built-in firewall, NAT-capable routers do nothing to
> protect the user from him/herself. Again -- and I _cannot_ emphasize
> this enough -- almost all spyware and many Trojans and worms are
> downloaded and installed deliberately (albeit unknowingly) by the
> user. So a software firewall, such as Sygate or ZoneAlarm, that can
> detect and warn the user of unauthorized out-going traffic is an
> important element of protecting one's privacy and security. Most
> antivirus applications do not scan for or protect you from
> adware/spyware, because, after all, you've installed them yourself, so
> you must want them there, right?

Thanks again,

I will keep my software firewall installed.

Appreciate the advice.

Ben

> Bruce Chambers
>
> --
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
> having both at once. -- RAH
>

> "bently" <bently@access.net> wrote in message
>
>>Using XP home, and Yahoo/DSL
>>
>>I was told if I had a router, I would not need Zone Alarm firewall.
>>
>>Is that true?
>>
>>Thsnks
>>
>>Ben

Greetings --