router vs software firewall

Using XP home, and Yahoo/DSL

I was told if I had a router, I would not need Zone Alarm firewall.

Is that true?

Thsnks

Ben
7 answers Last reply
More about router software firewall

    Hello

    Most new routers have built in firewalls and some peolpe
    may think that's all you need. But having both hardware and
    software is good. Just keep in mind how important your pc and
    files are to you, does not hurt to have both or 1, ok.(NO)
    Also some router do not have firewalls, so if u got a router
    with out firewall then u would need ZoneAlarm

    Alvin

    bently wrote:

    > Using XP home, and Yahoo/DSL
    >
    > I was told if I had a router, I would not need Zone Alarm firewall.
    >
    > Is that true?
    >
    > Thsnks
    >
    > Ben

    A router has the same limitation as the XP default firewall,
    it only works one way. A firewall such as Zone Alarm will
    monitor in and out-bound traffic and alert you to attempts
    by new or changed program to connect to the Internet.

    "Alvin Brown" <alvin1@swbell.net> wrote in message
    | Hello
    |
    | Most new routers have built in firewalls and some peolpe
    | may think that's all you need. But having both hardware
    and
    | software is good. Just keep in mind how important your pc
    and
    | files are to you, does not hurt to have both or 1, ok.(NO)
    | Also some router do not have firewalls, so if u got a
    router
    | with out firewall then u would need ZoneAlarm
    |

    | Alvin
    |

    | bently wrote:
    |
    | > Using XP home, and Yahoo/DSL
    | >
    | > I was told if I had a router, I would not need Zone
    Alarm firewall.

    | > Is that true?
    | >
    | > Thsnks
    | >
    | > Ben

    Thanks Alvin & Jim

    Thats what I wanted to know.

    Ben

    Jim Macklin wrote:
    > A router has the same limitation as the XP default firewall,
    > it only works one way. A firewall such as Zone Alarm will
    > monitor in and out-bound traffic and alert you to attempts
    > by new or changed program to connect to the Internet.
    >

    > "Alvin Brown" <alvin1@swbell.net> wrote in message
    > | Hello
    > |
    > | Most new routers have built in firewalls and some peolpe
    > | may think that's all you need. But having both hardware
    > and
    > | software is good. Just keep in mind how important your pc
    > and
    > | files are to you, does not hurt to have both or 1, ok.(NO)
    > | Also some router do not have firewalls, so if u got a
    > router
    > | with out firewall then u would need ZoneAlarm
    > |

    > | Alvin
    > |

    > | bently wrote:
    > |
    > | > Using XP home, and Yahoo/DSL
    > | >
    > | > I was told if I had a router, I would not need Zone
    > Alarm firewall.
    > | >
    > | > Is that true?
    > | >
    > | > Thsnks
    > | >
    > | > Ben

    You're welcome.

    "bently" <bently@access.net> wrote in message
    | Thanks Alvin & Jim
    |
    | Thats what I wanted to know.
    |
    | Ben
    |
    | Jim Macklin wrote:
    | > A router has the same limitation as the XP default
    firewall,
    | > it only works one way. A firewall such as Zone Alarm
    will
    | > monitor in and out-bound traffic and alert you to
    attempts
    | > by new or changed program to connect to the Internet.
    | >

    | > "Alvin Brown" <alvin1@swbell.net> wrote in message
    | > | Hello
    | > |
    | > | Most new routers have built in firewalls and some
    peolpe
    | > | may think that's all you need. But having both
    hardware
    | > and
    | > | software is good. Just keep in mind how important your
    pc
    | > and
    | > | files are to you, does not hurt to have both or 1,
    ok.(NO)
    | > | Also some router do not have firewalls, so if u got a
    | > router
    | > | with out firewall then u would need ZoneAlarm
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | Alvin
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | bently wrote:
    | > |

    | > Alarm firewall.

    | > |

    Greetings --

    No, not really.

    Like WinXP's built-in firewall, NAT-capable routers do nothing to
    protect the user from him/herself. Again -- and I _cannot_ emphasize
    this enough -- almost all spyware and many Trojans and worms are
    downloaded and installed deliberately (albeit unknowingly) by the
    user. So a software firewall, such as Sygate or ZoneAlarm, that can
    detect and warn the user of unauthorized out-going traffic is an
    important element of protecting one's privacy and security. Most
    antivirus applications do not scan for or protect you from
    adware/spyware, because, after all, you've installed them yourself, so
    you must want them there, right?

    Bruce Chambers

    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. -- RAH

    Bruce Chambers wrote:
    > Greetings --
    >
    > No, not really.
    >
    > Like WinXP's built-in firewall, NAT-capable routers do nothing to
    > protect the user from him/herself. Again -- and I _cannot_ emphasize
    > this enough -- almost all spyware and many Trojans and worms are
    > downloaded and installed deliberately (albeit unknowingly) by the
    > user. So a software firewall, such as Sygate or ZoneAlarm, that can
    > detect and warn the user of unauthorized out-going traffic is an
    > important element of protecting one's privacy and security. Most
    > antivirus applications do not scan for or protect you from
    > adware/spyware, because, after all, you've installed them yourself, so
    > you must want them there, right?

    Thanks again,

    I will keep my software firewall installed.

    Appreciate the advice.

    Ben

    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > --
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
    > having both at once. -- RAH
    >

    > "bently" <bently@access.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Using XP home, and Yahoo/DSL
    >>
    >>I was told if I had a router, I would not need Zone Alarm firewall.
    >>
    >>Is that true?
    >>
    >>Thsnks
    >>
    >>Ben

    Greetings --

    You're welcome.

    Bruce Chambers

    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. -- RAH

    > Thanks again,
    >
    > I will keep my software firewall installed.
    >
    > Appreciate the advice.
    >
    > Ben
    >

    >> Bruce Chambers
    >>
    >> --
    >> Help us help you:
    >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>

    >> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
    >> having both at once. -- RAH
    >>

    >> "bently" <bently@access.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Using XP home, and Yahoo/DSL
    >>>
    >>>I was told if I had a router, I would not need Zone Alarm
    >>>firewall.
    >>>
    >>>Is that true?
    >>>
    >>>Thsnks
    >>>
    >>>Ben