Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

1 how come my pc3200 ram is running at 333mhz? i have a nf..

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
April 19, 2004 10:42:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

1 how come my pc3200 ram is running at 333mhz? i have a nf7-s with a
2500+ cpu and it runs at 333...which setting do i make ram run at 400?
April 19, 2004 2:27:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

"louisk" <yehai@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:p 5t680dsmt7oddbvkfjagrrupm6ob6iad0@4ax.com...
> 1 how come my pc3200 ram is running at 333mhz? i have a nf7-s with a
> 2500+ cpu and it runs at 333...which setting do i make ram run at 400?

You get best performance on AMD plaform running the cpu & memory buses at
the same speed & that is what the board defaults to doing.
April 19, 2004 2:27:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

If you *want* asynchronous FSB and memory, you can, simply go to the
Advanced Chipset section of the BIOS and manually change the CPU FSB/DRAM
ratio to 5:6 (it's probably set to By SPD).

However, you're usually better off running "synchronous" (1:1), where the
CPU FSB and memory run at the same speed, just works more efficiently, even
if the memory *can* run slightly faster. The other alternative is to OC the
CPU FSB and continue running 1:1. IOW, try OC'ing the CPU FSB in small
increments, the memory will shadow it. Since the memory is PC3200, you have
plenty of memory headroom all the way up to CPU FSB 400MHz (DDR) w/o causing
the memory itself to OC. That's not to say the CPU FSB *will* OC that high,
you'll just have to experiment.

If you OC the CPU FSB in this fashion, you get three benefits. You can get
more out of the processor, you get more out of the memory (compared to
running at PC2700 speed), and you maintain synchronicity. Even a *mild* OC
of the CPU FSB to say, 180MHz @ 1:1 will provide superior results to simple
running the FSB and memory @ stock w/ 5:6.

HTH

Jim


"BUFF" <NOSPAM@HERE.COM> wrote in message
news:o WMgc.47$I%3.30@newsfe1-win...
>
> "louisk" <yehai@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:p 5t680dsmt7oddbvkfjagrrupm6ob6iad0@4ax.com...
> > 1 how come my pc3200 ram is running at 333mhz? i have a nf7-s with a
> > 2500+ cpu and it runs at 333...which setting do i make ram run at 400?
>
> You get best performance on AMD plaform running the cpu & memory buses at
> the same speed & that is what the board defaults to doing.
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
April 19, 2004 3:39:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

louisk wrote:
> 1 how come my pc3200 ram is running at 333mhz? i have a nf7-s with a
> 2500+ cpu and it runs at 333...which setting do i make ram run at 400?

Don't worry about it, it's better that way.
Memory performance is better in synchronous mode with boards for
AMD-processors.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
April 19, 2004 8:36:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

hi!
where can i learn more about this?

i just bought 400mhz ram and had to configure a 400mhz memory bus manually, the 'auto' setting puts it to 333 (like my processors fsb)

thanks
--
F r e e
I get my kicks in the quick flip-flops!
"Jens C. Hansen [Odense]" <"Jens C. Hansen [Odense]"> escribió en el mensaje news:40839e33$0$160$edfadb0f@dtext02.news.tele.dk...
> louisk wrote:
> > 1 how come my pc3200 ram is running at 333mhz? i have a nf7-s with a
> > 2500+ cpu and it runs at 333...which setting do i make ram run at 400?
>
> Don't worry about it, it's better that way.
> Memory performance is better in synchronous mode with boards for
> AMD-processors.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
April 20, 2004 1:36:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

very interesting! will experiment! :) 

--
F r e e
I get my kicks in the quick flip-flops!
"Jim" <null@null.com> escribió en el mensaje news:J5Sgc.17727$Yf6.7498@fed1read07...
> If you *want* asynchronous FSB and memory, you can, simply go to the
> Advanced Chipset section of the BIOS and manually change the CPU FSB/DRAM
> ratio to 5:6 (it's probably set to By SPD).
>
> However, you're usually better off running "synchronous" (1:1), where the
> CPU FSB and memory run at the same speed, just works more efficiently, even
> if the memory *can* run slightly faster. The other alternative is to OC the
> CPU FSB and continue running 1:1. IOW, try OC'ing the CPU FSB in small
> increments, the memory will shadow it. Since the memory is PC3200, you have
> plenty of memory headroom all the way up to CPU FSB 400MHz (DDR) w/o causing
> the memory itself to OC. That's not to say the CPU FSB *will* OC that high,
> you'll just have to experiment.
>
> If you OC the CPU FSB in this fashion, you get three benefits. You can get
> more out of the processor, you get more out of the memory (compared to
> running at PC2700 speed), and you maintain synchronicity. Even a *mild* OC
> of the CPU FSB to say, 180MHz @ 1:1 will provide superior results to simple
> running the FSB and memory @ stock w/ 5:6.
>
> HTH
>
> Jim
>
>
> "BUFF" <NOSPAM@HERE.COM> wrote in message
> news:o WMgc.47$I%3.30@newsfe1-win...
> >
> > "louisk" <yehai@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:p 5t680dsmt7oddbvkfjagrrupm6ob6iad0@4ax.com...
> > > 1 how come my pc3200 ram is running at 333mhz? i have a nf7-s with a
> > > 2500+ cpu and it runs at 333...which setting do i make ram run at 400?
> >
> > You get best performance on AMD plaform running the cpu & memory buses at
> > the same speed & that is what the board defaults to doing.
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
April 20, 2004 5:18:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

Leave it the same fsb as the CPU. It doesn't help to run it out of sync. You
could raise the fsb and lower the mulitplier on the CPU thats possible wit
hyour motherboard.
I tesed my 400 DDR at 166, and out of sync at 435. It tested worse with Aida32
running the ram overclocked at 435 and out of sync.
!