IC7-G Pentium 4 3.0 800FSB SATA Drive optimal settings help

Hi,

Could anyone supply a good set of BIOS settings for the above kit. I
can see no mention of 800FSB in the BIOS, so don't know if I'm using
it. What settings should I use for the hard drive, a Seagate Barracude
160Gb SATA? Its the only hard drive in use. Any help much appreciated.

Ray
12 answers Last reply
More about pentium 800fsb sata drive optimal settings help

    Ray Copper <remove@raycopper.co.uk> wrote in message news:<cf3a80p74fc7hi66n8n32kngblsk338b8q@4ax.com>...

    If your manually setting up the cpu the FSB needs to be set to 200Mhz.

    > Hi,
    >
    > Could anyone supply a good set of BIOS settings for the above kit. I
    > can see no mention of 800FSB in the BIOS, so don't know if I'm using
    > it. What settings should I use for the hard drive, a Seagate Barracude
    > 160Gb SATA? Its the only hard drive in use. Any help much appreciated.
    >
    > Ray
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    if the NB is set to by CPU and the CPU is auto selected, then you are using
    800 FSB. otherwise, manually select the cpu in Softmenu and set the NB to
    800.

    if you want to make the best speed out of the drive, then I would have the
    drive on SATA 1 for the Intel ICH5R controller and then set the SATA mode to
    raid mode with raid bios enabled even though you only have one drive on the
    controller. that will enable the PCI bus bypass for the controller so that
    the drive data does not have to share the PCI bus bandwidth.

    you would then have to use the F6 keystroke when installing XP to install
    floppy based drivers for the Intel SATA controller so XP can use the drive.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 130,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    "Ray Copper" <remove@raycopper.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Could anyone supply a good set of BIOS settings for the above kit. I
    > can see no mention of 800FSB in the BIOS, so don't know if I'm using
    > it. What settings should I use for the hard drive, a Seagate Barracude
    > 160Gb SATA? Its the only hard drive in use. Any help much appreciated.
    >
    > Ray
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 17:39:00 -0400, "TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net>
    wrote:

    >if the NB is set to by CPU and the CPU is auto selected, then you are using
    >800 FSB. otherwise, manually select the cpu in Softmenu and set the NB to
    >800.
    >
    >if you want to make the best speed out of the drive, then I would have the
    >drive on SATA 1 for the Intel ICH5R controller and then set the SATA mode to
    >raid mode with raid bios enabled even though you only have one drive on the
    >controller. that will enable the PCI bus bypass for the controller so that
    >the drive data does not have to share the PCI bus bandwidth.
    >
    >you would then have to use the F6 keystroke when installing XP to install
    >floppy based drivers for the Intel SATA controller so XP can use the drive.

    Thanks Tom, with your advice above and advice you had given Bill
    Roberts previously, managed to get it to boot on the CD and start the
    Windows XP installation, which had eluded me thus far. However, a new
    problem is that Windows XP setup now freezes or re-boots at the point,
    or just before, where it starts the partition setup. Any ideas please?
    I have flashed the latest BIOS, ver 23. The F6 setup disk I have is
    ver 1.21, could that be the problem. Do I have to install only the
    Intel driver at F6 time?

    Hope to hear from you soon, I'm desperate. Spent £2000 on kit and
    can't get it working :)

    Regards,

    Ray
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    did you raise the DDR voltage to 2.7 or better?

    --

    > On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 17:39:00 -0400, "TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >if the NB is set to by CPU and the CPU is auto selected, then you are
    using
    > >800 FSB. otherwise, manually select the cpu in Softmenu and set the NB
    > >800.
    > >
    > >if you want to make the best speed out of the drive, then I would have
    the
    > >drive on SATA 1 for the Intel ICH5R controller and then set the SATA mode
    > >raid mode with raid bios enabled even though you only have one drive on
    the
    > >controller. that will enable the PCI bus bypass for the controller so
    that
    > >the drive data does not have to share the PCI bus bandwidth.
    > >
    > >you would then have to use the F6 keystroke when installing XP to install
    > >floppy based drivers for the Intel SATA controller so XP can use the
    drive.

    > Thanks Tom, with your advice above and advice you had given Bill
    > Roberts previously, managed to get it to boot on the CD and start the
    > Windows XP installation, which had eluded me thus far. However, a new
    > problem is that Windows XP setup now freezes or re-boots at the point,
    > or just before, where it starts the partition setup. Any ideas please?
    > I have flashed the latest BIOS, ver 23. The F6 setup disk I have is
    > ver 1.21, could that be the problem. Do I have to install only the
    > Intel driver at F6 time?
    >
    > Hope to hear from you soon, I'm desperate. Spent £2000 on kit and
    > can't get it working :)
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Ray
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 14:19:57 -0400, "TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net>
    wrote:

    >did you raise the DDR voltage to 2.7 or better?

    Yes, raised it to max on the BIOS. Windows XP setup keeps causing a
    reboot, at various places in the routine, I'm starting to wonder if
    the PSU isn't up to the job. Would you consider that a reasonable
    diagnosis Tom?

    Regards,

    Ray
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    very easily could be a PS if it isn't a name brand and good wattage unit.
    raising the DDR voltage to around 2.7 is usually good enough with some cases
    higher voltages being required.

    --

    > On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 14:19:57 -0400, "TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >did you raise the DDR voltage to 2.7 or better?
    >
    > Yes, raised it to max on the BIOS. Windows XP setup keeps causing a
    > reboot, at various places in the routine, I'm starting to wonder if
    > the PSU isn't up to the job. Would you consider that a reasonable
    > diagnosis Tom?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Ray
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 22:56:00 -0400, "TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net>
    wrote:

    >very easily could be a PS if it isn't a name brand and good wattage unit.
    >raising the DDR voltage to around 2.7 is usually good enough with some cases
    >higher voltages being required.

    It's a Q-Technology 300w. I have a Hercules AIW 9800SE connected to it
    as well, and that recommends a minimum 300w supply. I've ordered a
    400w to try now, as I've increased DDR voltage to the max already.
    I'll get back to you when it is installed, if I may?

    Ray
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    let us know how things go after the new PSU gets installed...

    --

    > On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 22:56:00 -0400, "TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >very easily could be a PS if it isn't a name brand and good wattage unit.
    > >raising the DDR voltage to around 2.7 is usually good enough with some
    cases
    > >higher voltages being required.
    >
    > It's a Q-Technology 300w. I have a Hercules AIW 9800SE connected to it
    > as well, and that recommends a minimum 300w supply. I've ordered a
    > 400w to try now, as I've increased DDR voltage to the max already.
    > I'll get back to you when it is installed, if I may?
    >
    > Ray
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    >It's a Q-Technology 300w. I have a Hercules AIW 9800SE connected to it
    >as well, and that recommends a minimum 300w supply. I've ordered a
    >400w to try now, as I've increased DDR voltage to the max already.
    >I'll get back to you when it is installed, if I may?
    >
    >Ray

    What brand of 400w psu?
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 20:01:12 -0400, "TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net>
    wrote:

    >let us know how things go after the new PSU gets installed...

    Hi Tom,

    Installed a new 500w PSU, reset the BIOS, and all's well. Easy eh? :)
    Will now go back to your original reply to optimise the drive. Thanks
    for your help.

    Regards,

    Ray
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    good luck with it...

    --

    > On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 20:01:12 -0400, "TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >let us know how things go after the new PSU gets installed...
    >

    > Hi Tom,
    >
    > Installed a new 500w PSU, reset the BIOS, and all's well. Easy eh? :)
    > Will now go back to your original reply to optimise the drive. Thanks
    > for your help.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Ray
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Ray Copper wrote:

    > On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 22:56:00 -0400, "TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > very easily could be a PS if it isn't a name brand and good wattage
    > > unit. raising the DDR voltage to around 2.7 is usually good enough
    > > with some cases higher voltages being required.
    >
    > It's a Q-Technology 300w. I have a Hercules AIW 9800SE connected to it
    > as well, and that recommends a minimum 300w supply. I've ordered a
    > 400w to try now, as I've increased DDR voltage to the max already.
    > I'll get back to you when it is installed, if I may?

    You may find this handy .. and buy a good and I do mean good quality
    PSU.

    http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

    regards

    @ndrew

BIOS SATA Hard Drives Pentium Motherboards