Help identify wierd reboot/crash problem ...

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

Hi,

Abit NF7-S rev 2.0 board with 2500 AMD....1 GB Crucial RAM....ATI AiW 9800
Pro....Maxtor 200GB, Pioneer 107D DVD.

Running Windows XP, this machine has been running fine for a few months with
no problems at all. A couple weeks ago, my machine suddenly rebooted itself
when I was in Windows. A couple days later, it did the same thing. It
gradually started to get more frequent.

I wasnt sure if it was hardware or some software I loaded that was causing
the reboots, so I decided to reload Windows XP from scracth to eliminate the
software side of things.

Well, it looks like it is hardware as Windows XP will not even install now.

It will boot off the CD-Rom and loads all the drivers, then gets to the
point during setup where it says "Setup is loading Windows"

At this point it will do 1 of 3 things:

1) Hang there with the "Setup is loading Windows" message at the bottom of
the screen
2) Reboot
3) BSOD - Page_Fault_In_Nonpaged_Area - 0x00000050

Any ideas??
15 answers Last reply
More about help identify wierd reboot crash problem
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Three letters - rearrange to find the solution : -
    S U P
    (Hint : Power Supply Unit)

    "ZigZag Master" <zigzagmasterSPAMMY@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Abit NF7-S rev 2.0 board with 2500 AMD....1 GB Crucial RAM....ATI AiW 9800
    > Pro....Maxtor 200GB, Pioneer 107D DVD.
    >
    > Running Windows XP, this machine has been running fine for a few months
    with
    > no problems at all. A couple weeks ago, my machine suddenly rebooted
    itself
    > when I was in Windows. A couple days later, it did the same thing. It
    > gradually started to get more frequent.
    >
    > I wasnt sure if it was hardware or some software I loaded that was causing
    > the reboots, so I decided to reload Windows XP from scracth to eliminate
    the
    > software side of things.
    >
    > Well, it looks like it is hardware as Windows XP will not even install
    now.

    > It will boot off the CD-Rom and loads all the drivers, then gets to the
    > point during setup where it says "Setup is loading Windows"
    >
    > At this point it will do 1 of 3 things:
    >
    > 1) Hang there with the "Setup is loading Windows" message at the bottom of
    > the screen
    > 2) Reboot
    > 3) BSOD - Page_Fault_In_Nonpaged_Area - 0x00000050
    >
    > Any ideas??

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    "ZigZag Master" <zigzagmasterSPAMMY@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Abit NF7-S rev 2.0 board with 2500 AMD....1 GB Crucial RAM....ATI AiW 9800
    > Pro....Maxtor 200GB, Pioneer 107D DVD.
    >
    > Running Windows XP, this machine has been running fine for a few months
    with
    > no problems at all. A couple weeks ago, my machine suddenly rebooted
    itself
    > when I was in Windows. A couple days later, it did the same thing. It
    > gradually started to get more frequent.
    >
    > I wasnt sure if it was hardware or some software I loaded that was causing
    > the reboots, so I decided to reload Windows XP from scracth to eliminate
    the
    > software side of things.
    >
    > Well, it looks like it is hardware as Windows XP will not even install
    now.

    > It will boot off the CD-Rom and loads all the drivers, then gets to the
    > point during setup where it says "Setup is loading Windows"
    >
    > At this point it will do 1 of 3 things:
    >
    > 1) Hang there with the "Setup is loading Windows" message at the bottom of
    > the screen
    > 2) Reboot
    > 3) BSOD - Page_Fault_In_Nonpaged_Area - 0x00000050
    >
    > Any ideas??

    Really it could be any one of a thousand things. Are you overclocking your
    CPU? What are your temperatures like? Did the PC run Prime95 and memtest86
    without errors before all this started to happen?

    If you can give us more information, then perhaps we can help.

    Chip
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    No not overclocking...

    I dont think temps are the problems since the machine is crashing during the
    text mode portion of setup (nothing taxing happening)

    I have two 512MB modules, I have tried both individually with same results.

    > Really it could be any one of a thousand things. Are you overclocking
    your
    > CPU? What are your temperatures like? Did the PC run Prime95 and
    memtest86
    > without errors before all this started to happen?
    >
    > If you can give us more information, then perhaps we can help.
    >
    > Chip

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    > No not overclocking...
    >
    > I dont think temps are the problems since the machine is crashing during
    the
    > text mode portion of setup (nothing taxing happening)
    >
    > I have two 512MB modules, I have tried both individually with same
    results.

    Sounds like a power supply problem.

    Alun Harford
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    "Alun Harford" <alunharford@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > "ZigZag Master" <zigzagmasterSPAMMY@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > No not overclocking...
    > >
    > > I dont think temps are the problems since the machine is crashing during
    > the
    > > text mode portion of setup (nothing taxing happening)
    > >
    > > I have two 512MB modules, I have tried both individually with same
    > results.
    > >
    > Sounds like a power supply problem.
    >
    > Alun Harford

    Possibly. But why would this suddenly start happening? My money would not
    be on the PSU, although like I say it is possible.

    ZigZag, I still think it could be down to lots of things, although the extra
    info you have given is useful.

    I am assuming you haven't changed any bios settings or flashed a new bios
    recently? If you have I would double, treble, quadruple check that all the
    settings are all as they should be. And have you moved the PC lately? Or
    added any components? Or removed any? Changed the configuration in any
    way?

    And you say the temps are OK? Well what are they? The weather is warming
    up now and even this could be a factor. You see, contrary to your comment
    that your problem is "wierd", it seems like an extremely common, normal
    problem. The crashing is exactly the sort of thing you would expect to
    happen if you are running with;

    a) your cpu too fast...
    b) or possibly with the voltage too low for the speed you are trying to run
    c) or with the CPU temp too high...
    c2) which could be because of dust build up, or a case fan has failed, or
    the heatsink has got moved when you moved the PC, or the bearing is failing
    on the HS fan, or... etc etc etc
    d) the memory timings are too fast
    e) the memory speed is too high
    f) the memory voltage is too low for the speed
    g) the bios is not well suited to your brand of memory

    If I were you, I would go into the bios and drop the speed down or increase
    the CPU and memory voltages a little and see if it makes any difference.
    And if you can get hold of a memtest86 boot diskette from somewhere, then I
    would try running memtest to see if your memory is OK.

    Chip
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    "ZigZag Master" <zigzagmasterSPAMMY@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Abit NF7-S rev 2.0 board with 2500 AMD....1 GB Crucial RAM....ATI AiW 9800
    > Pro....Maxtor 200GB, Pioneer 107D DVD.
    >
    > Running Windows XP, this machine has been running fine for a few months
    with
    > no problems at all. A couple weeks ago, my machine suddenly rebooted
    itself
    > when I was in Windows. A couple days later, it did the same thing. It
    > gradually started to get more frequent.
    >
    > I wasnt sure if it was hardware or some software I loaded that was causing
    > the reboots, so I decided to reload Windows XP from scracth to eliminate
    the
    > software side of things.
    >
    > Well, it looks like it is hardware as Windows XP will not even install
    now.

    > It will boot off the CD-Rom and loads all the drivers, then gets to the
    > point during setup where it says "Setup is loading Windows"
    >
    > At this point it will do 1 of 3 things:
    >
    > 1) Hang there with the "Setup is loading Windows" message at the bottom of
    > the screen
    > 2) Reboot
    > 3) BSOD - Page_Fault_In_Nonpaged_Area - 0x00000050
    >
    > Any ideas??

    Some Info for you, worked for me

    hope it helps

    http://rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?s=5bd8e52ae9a2f52d18db01b44c4d5d70&threadid=33664557&highlight=freezing
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    "Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net> wrote in message
    > "Alun Harford" <alunharford@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > "ZigZag Master" <zigzagmasterSPAMMY@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > No not overclocking...
    > > >
    > > > I dont think temps are the problems since the machine is crashing
    during
    > > the
    > > > text mode portion of setup (nothing taxing happening)
    > > >
    > > > I have two 512MB modules, I have tried both individually with same
    > > results.
    > > >
    > > Sounds like a power supply problem.
    > >
    > > Alun Harford
    > >

    > Possibly. But why would this suddenly start happening? My money would
    not
    > be on the PSU,

    It might be, had you experience of it.
    But let's see.
    Once the man changes his PSU, the truth will come out.

    although like I say it is possible.

    > ZigZag, I still think it could be down to lots of things, although the
    extra
    > info you have given is useful.
    >
    > I am assuming you haven't changed any bios settings or flashed a new bios
    > recently? If you have I would double, treble, quadruple check that all
    the
    > settings are all as they should be. And have you moved the PC lately? Or
    > added any components? Or removed any? Changed the configuration in any
    > way?
    >
    > And you say the temps are OK? Well what are they? The weather is warming
    > up now and even this could be a factor. You see, contrary to your comment
    > that your problem is "wierd", it seems like an extremely common, normal
    > problem. The crashing is exactly the sort of thing you would expect to
    > happen if you are running with;
    >
    > a) your cpu too fast...
    > b) or possibly with the voltage too low for the speed you are trying to
    run
    > c) or with the CPU temp too high...
    > c2) which could be because of dust build up, or a case fan has failed, or
    > the heatsink has got moved when you moved the PC, or the bearing is
    failing
    > on the HS fan, or... etc etc etc
    > d) the memory timings are too fast
    > e) the memory speed is too high
    > f) the memory voltage is too low for the speed
    > g) the bios is not well suited to your brand of memory
    >
    > If I were you, I would go into the bios and drop the speed down or
    increase
    > the CPU and memory voltages a little and see if it makes any difference.
    > And if you can get hold of a memtest86 boot diskette from somewhere, then
    > would try running memtest to see if your memory is OK.
    >
    > Chip

  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    "Scumball" <scumball@btinternet.com> wrote in message

    > "Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net> wrote in message
    > > "Alun Harford" <alunharford@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > > "ZigZag Master" <zigzagmasterSPAMMY@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > during
    > > > the

    > > > results.
    > > > >
    > > > Sounds like a power supply problem.
    > > >

    > > Possibly. But why would this suddenly start happening? My money would
    > not
    > > be on the PSU,
    >

    > It might be, had you experience of it.
    > But let's see.
    > Once the man changes his PSU, the truth will come out.
    >

    > although like I say it is possible.

    It is possible that it could be something else, but memory is something that
    normally works or doesn't - it doesn't generally 'wear out' like a PSU.
    Change the PSU. If that doesn't solve the problem, think again, but 99% of
    the time that will be a PSU issue.

    If your BIOS has the feature, can you tell us what the voltages are on all
    the rails?

    Alun Harford
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    ZigZag Master wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Abit NF7-S rev 2.0 board with 2500 AMD....1 GB Crucial RAM....ATI AiW
    > 9800 Pro....Maxtor 200GB, Pioneer 107D DVD.
    >
    > Running Windows XP, this machine has been running fine for a few
    > months with no problems at all. A couple weeks ago, my machine
    > suddenly rebooted itself when I was in Windows. A couple days
    > later, it did the same thing. It gradually started to get more
    > frequent.
    >
    > I wasnt sure if it was hardware or some software I loaded that was
    > causing the reboots, so I decided to reload Windows XP from scracth
    > to eliminate the software side of things.
    >
    > Well, it looks like it is hardware as Windows XP will not even
    > install now.
    >
    > It will boot off the CD-Rom and loads all the drivers, then gets to
    > the point during setup where it says "Setup is loading Windows"
    >
    > At this point it will do 1 of 3 things:
    >
    > 1) Hang there with the "Setup is loading Windows" message at the
    > bottom of the screen
    > 2) Reboot
    > 3) BSOD - Page_Fault_In_Nonpaged_Area - 0x00000050
    >
    > Any ideas??

    PSU or RAM

    Dan
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 22:24:03 -0500, "Angry American"
    <angryn0spamamerican@dool.com> wrote:

    >ZigZag Master wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Abit NF7-S rev 2.0 board with 2500 AMD....1 GB Crucial RAM....ATI AiW
    >> 9800 Pro....Maxtor 200GB, Pioneer 107D DVD.
    >>
    >> Running Windows XP, this machine has been running fine for a few
    >> months with no problems at all. A couple weeks ago, my machine
    >> suddenly rebooted itself when I was in Windows. A couple days
    >> later, it did the same thing. It gradually started to get more
    >> frequent.
    >>
    >> I wasnt sure if it was hardware or some software I loaded that was
    >> causing the reboots, so I decided to reload Windows XP from scracth
    >> to eliminate the software side of things.
    >>
    >> Well, it looks like it is hardware as Windows XP will not even
    >> install now.
    >>
    >> It will boot off the CD-Rom and loads all the drivers, then gets to
    >> the point during setup where it says "Setup is loading Windows"
    >>
    >> At this point it will do 1 of 3 things:
    >>
    >> 1) Hang there with the "Setup is loading Windows" message at the
    >> bottom of the screen
    >> 2) Reboot
    >> 3) BSOD - Page_Fault_In_Nonpaged_Area - 0x00000050
    >>
    >> Any ideas??
    >
    >PSU or RAM
    >
    >Dan

    I'll just jump in here to add, clean out your system, including the
    PSU. Take the PSU out, open it up and make sure all the dust is blown
    out especially the heatsink and fan. Then clean out any dust in the
    cpu heatsink and any other nooks it can accumulate.

    This has solved this problem for me many times.

    C.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Usually not being able to install XPee on a computer is a sure sign of RAM
    problems.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    "Canus_Lupis" <old_fart@hotmail.com.au> wrote in message

    > Usually not being able to install XPee on a computer is a sure sign of RAM
    > problems.

    Yes I agree - that's the way I had been leaning, hence my suggestion that he
    should run memtest for a while. BSOD's are very often ram related too and
    he's had BSOD's.

    But *why* he would suddenly start to get ram problems with both sticks is
    somewhat strange. Perhaps the PSU is the likely suspect after all? Well we
    will see.

    Chip
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    "Chuck" <NotGiven@inPublic.org> wrote in message
    > I'll just jump in here to add, clean out your system, including the
    > PSU. Take the PSU out, open it up and make sure all the dust is blown
    > out especially the heatsink and fan. Then clean out any dust in the
    > cpu heatsink and any other nooks it can accumulate.

    I ought to say - don't open a PSU and then try to re-install it.
    Get some canned air and blow through one of the vents in the side (or even
    better, get a SCUBA cylinder out and put a blowgun on it but I guess that's
    not an option for non-divers :-) )

    Alun Harford
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 14:43:31 +0100, "Alun Harford"
    <alunharford@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >"Chuck" <NotGiven@inPublic.org> wrote in message
    >> I'll just jump in here to add, clean out your system, including the
    >> PSU. Take the PSU out, open it up and make sure all the dust is blown
    >> out especially the heatsink and fan. Then clean out any dust in the
    >> cpu heatsink and any other nooks it can accumulate.
    >>
    >I ought to say - don't open a PSU and then try to re-install it.
    >Get some canned air and blow through one of the vents in the side (or even
    >better, get a SCUBA cylinder out and put a blowgun on it but I guess that's
    >not an option for non-divers :-) )
    >
    >Alun Harford

    Then you probably ought not be opening up your pc case, cuz what's in
    there is far more complicated than what's in a PSU.
    ; )

    I've done this many times. It's very straight forward and just blowing
    air into it's not going to do squat. You need to get into it with a
    soft brush (like I've seen for car dashboard detailing) and some
    canned air. You'd be surprised what an effective air filter a PSU
    makes.

    And for Alun, make sure you unplug it first!

    C.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Just want to put my two bits worth on this. I had the same problem with
    NF7-s (rev 2.)when I tried to install XP using Athlon XP2700. The first
    time I powered up, the BIOS reported 'user define' mode, instead of
    reporting the correct combination of multiplier for 2700.
    I selected 21x 100, since that is the only one which allowed me to save
    the cmos setting.
    The same install problem was reported , and I tried this for 3 times
    before giving up. Eventually I had to go back to my Athlon XP2000, to
    get it to work stably.
    I believe the cpu is faulty in my case.

Hardware Motherboards