Drivers for ABIT BE6-II

Hi

I have a ABIT BE6-II MB with W98 SE on it. I need to have new drivers
because I have a save conflict with my PCI Mass storage controller that
cannot be removed. Is it possible to get new drivers for this old MB? Can I
solve my problem with the new drivers? or do I have to do something else?

Kind Regards

Jerry Manner wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a ABIT BE6-II MB with W98 SE on it. I need to have new drivers
> because I have a save conflict with my PCI Mass storage controller
> that cannot be removed. Is it possible to get new drivers for this
> old MB? Can I solve my problem with the new drivers? or do I have to
> do something else?
>
> Kind Regards

The "Mass Storage Controller" is the HPT disk drive controller. If you
aren't using it, you should be able to disable it in the BIOS. If you
want to use it, the drivers are available at the links below.

There is a BE6-II with a HPT 366 disk drive controller. Drivers here:
http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/drivers.php?categories=1&model=118

And a BE6-II rev. 2.0 with a HPT 370 disk drive controller. Drivers
here:
http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/drivers.php?categories=1&model=119

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

depending on the version of your board (there were four versions...), you
may be able to benefit from updating the Highpoint bios. if the board was a
version 1.2 or 2.0 with a Highpoint 370 controller, then you could benefit
from running the Z72C or another custom bios that I have on my FTP site
under the /beta folder, just to keep them separate from the regular released
bios sets. look under BE6-II then under Custom. there is also a bios in
that folder that updates the Highpoint bios all the way to the newest
released version but the Z72C is a great update as well.

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
over 130,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

"Jerry Manner" <goodminded@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have a ABIT BE6-II MB with W98 SE on it. I need to have new drivers
> because I have a save conflict with my PCI Mass storage controller that
> cannot be removed. Is it possible to get new drivers for this old MB? Can
> solve my problem with the new drivers? or do I have to do something else?
>
> Kind Regards

Hi Tom,

Sorry to butt in here, I missed the HPT update. There is newer than Z72?
What benefits have been noticed? Thanx,

knf

"TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> wrote in message
> depending on the version of your board (there were four versions...), you
> may be able to benefit from updating the Highpoint bios. if the board was
> version 1.2 or 2.0 with a Highpoint 370 controller, then you could benefit
> from running the Z72C or another custom bios that I have on my FTP site
> under the /beta folder, just to keep them separate from the regular
released
> bios sets. look under BE6-II then under Custom. there is also a bios in
> that folder that updates the Highpoint bios all the way to the newest
> released version but the Z72C is a great update as well.
>
> --
>
> Thomas Geery
> Network+ certified
>
> ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
> ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror <----- Cable modem IP
> This IP is dynamic so it *could* change!...
> over 130,000 FTP users served!
> ^^^^^^^
>

> "Jerry Manner" <goodminded@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > I have a ABIT BE6-II MB with W98 SE on it. I need to have new drivers
> > because I have a save conflict with my PCI Mass storage controller that
> > cannot be removed. Is it possible to get new drivers for this old MB?
Can
> > solve my problem with the new drivers? or do I have to do something
else?

> > Kind Regards

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

the newer upgrade just incorporates the newest Highpoint bios (2.51 or
something??) into the 72 mainboard bios...

--

"Phr3d" <Gwaihir@Orthanc.com> wrote in message
> Hi Tom,
>
> Sorry to butt in here, I missed the HPT update. There is newer than Z72?
> What benefits have been noticed? Thanx,
>
> knf
>
> "TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> wrote in message
> > depending on the version of your board (there were four versions...),
you
> > may be able to benefit from updating the Highpoint bios. if the board
was
> > version 1.2 or 2.0 with a Highpoint 370 controller, then you could
benefit
> > from running the Z72C or another custom bios that I have on my FTP site
> > under the /beta folder, just to keep them separate from the regular
> released
> > bios sets. look under BE6-II then under Custom. there is also a bios in
> > that folder that updates the Highpoint bios all the way to the newest
> > released version but the Z72C is a great update as well.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Thomas Geery
> > Network+ certified
> >
> > ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
> > ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror <----- Cable modem IP
> > This IP is dynamic so it *could* change!...
> > over 130,000 FTP users served!
> > ^^^^^^^
> >

> > "Jerry Manner" <goodminded@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I have a ABIT BE6-II MB with W98 SE on it. I need to have new drivers
> > > because I have a save conflict with my PCI Mass storage controller
that
> > > cannot be removed. Is it possible to get new drivers for this old MB?
> Can
> > > solve my problem with the new drivers? or do I have to do something
> else?
> > >
> > > Kind Regards

The newest Highpoint BIOS supports the following features:

1. When reconnecting drives that were part of a failed RAID 1.0
array -- the BIOS will *recognize* the signature on the existing
drive at startup (in the BIOS screen itself) and offer to remove
the drive from the array so the working drive can operate as a
standalone item. (No, you don't need to go through a long and
involved rigmarole to fix this -- it's as simple as pressing "y/n"
at the "fix" prompt in the BIOS setup screen.)

The above feature removes the need to rebuild the array with
a second drive -- simply to get the machine working properly
again.

Note: You have the *option* to remove the drive from the array,
or provide a second drive to rebuild the array. The main
use for this function is to permit easy OS upgrades using
a single Hard Disk. You can disconnect the secondary
RAID 1 disk, reboot, allow the HPT BIOS to discover the
broken array, remove the primary disk from the array (to
bring the primary disk back to a single-disk item) and
then perform the OS upgrade on the primary hard disk.
You can perform the above task, secure in the knowledge
you have a complete backup of the original OS on the
secondary disk (which is unplugged while you do the
update). That secondary disk can be used to painlessly
return the machine to its pre-update state should the OS
update or OS install fail to work properly for whatever
reason.

The above is particularly useful since the HPT 370 driver
shipped with WXP does not reliably support RAID arrays.

2. There are a bunch of other fixes subsequent to 2.34 -- these are
listed in the readme file found inside the 2.34 driver archive. One
*important* bugfix is the clock-speed calculation -- which the
readme file *implies* should remove some of the overclocking
bus-speed sensitivity that causes the HPT chip to fall-over-dead
as soon as the PCI bus moves even slightly off the 33MHz mark.

Note: I have not personally verified the PCI bus-speed-stability
of the HPT370/A chipset at higher-than-standard speeds.
This requires more time that I currently have available for
testing. Perhaps someone else who has both time and full
high-speed-backup capability (ghost to firewire external
drive) can experiment with this and provide some real-world
insight as to whether the *implied* fix is actually working in
reality.

Best I can do for now. <tm>

Bill

Tom G wrote:
> the newer upgrade just incorporates the newest Highpoint bios (2.51 or
> something??) into the 72 mainboard bios...
>

> "Phr3d" <Gwaihir@Orthanc.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Tom,
>>
>> Sorry to butt in here, I missed the HPT update. There is newer than
>> Z72? What benefits have been noticed? Thanx,
>>
>> knf
>>
>> "TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> wrote in message
>>> depending on the version of your board (there were four
>>> versions...), you may be able to benefit from updating the
>>> Highpoint bios. if the board was a version 1.2 or 2.0 with a
>>> Highpoint 370 controller, then you could benefit from running the
>>> Z72C or another custom bios that I have on my FTP site under the
>>> /beta folder, just to keep them separate from the regular released
>>> bios sets. look under BE6-II then under Custom. there is also a
>>> bios in that folder that updates the Highpoint bios all the way to
>>> the newest released version but the Z72C is a great update as well.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Thomas Geery
>>> Network+ certified
>>>
>>> ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
>>> ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror <----- Cable modem IP
>>> This IP is dynamic so it *could* change!...
>>> over 130,000 FTP users served!
>>> ^^^^^^^
>>>

>>> "Jerry Manner" <goodminded@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Hi Bill,

Thanx! It might be worth my while to install, since I am oc. I presume the
oc issue is with RAID only, as my wife's machine is 2 144/4 to the PCI and
has had no noticable probs, but is only two standalone drives.

knf

"Bill Drake" <bdrake@telus.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> of the HPT370/A chipset at higher-than-standard speeds.
> This requires more time that I currently have available for
> testing. Perhaps someone else who has both time and full
> high-speed-backup capability (ghost to firewire external
> drive) can experiment with this and provide some real-world
> insight as to whether the *implied* fix is actually working
in
> reality.
>

> Best I can do for now. <tm>
>

> Bill
>

> Tom G wrote:
> > the newer upgrade just incorporates the newest Highpoint bios (2.51 or
> > something??) into the 72 mainboard bios...
> >

> > "Phr3d" <Gwaihir@Orthanc.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi Tom,
> >>
> >> Sorry to butt in here, I missed the HPT update. There is newer than
> >> Z72? What benefits have been noticed? Thanx,

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

interesting thing about the clock speed stuff... I used to overclock a
number of different boards with Highpoint 370 controllers on them and the
PCI bus was running up around 37 to 40 MHz and never lost the Highpoint
controller... go figure.

--

TomG wrote:
> interesting thing about the clock speed stuff... I used to overclock
> a number of different boards with Highpoint 370 controllers on them
> and the PCI bus was running up around 37 to 40 MHz and never
> lost the Highpoint controller... go figure.

Hi, Tom. There are two parts to the high-PCI-Bus-clock issue.
One part is tied to the HPT controller chip -- the other part is
tied to the particular Hard Disk Drive firmware in use on the
target drives.

For example, Quantum Hard Disks are famous for working reliably
with higher-than-standard PCI bus-clock-speed. Older Maxtors
(before Maxtor bought-out Quantum) are famous for corrupting
their data when a higher-than-standard PCI bus-clock is used.
Both WD and Seagate had some models that worked with higher
bus-clock-speed and some that did not.

If HPT have found a way to divorce the IDE-channel
clock-rate-sensitivity of some Hard Disk firmware from the
PCI-Bus-clock speed -- this would mean that many of the Hard
Disks that would fall-over-and-die when the PCI bus-clock was
sped up using the old BIOS will now work correctly with
higher-than-stock PCI bus-clock speeds using the new BIOS.

However -- as I mentioned to Phr3d -- the only way we're really
going to know whether this stuff works or not is to do a bunch of
experiments.

This is *definitely* one of those "in theory" situations where
"reality" can intrude in a catastrophic manner.

Cautious real-world testing is going to be required to really
know if the new BIOS is a bulletproof fix for an overclocked
PCI Bus or not.

Best I can do for now. <tm>

Bill

Hi, Phr3d. The bus-clock-speed sensitivity issue is specific
to the particular IDE controller chip used. The HPT controller
chip is a PCI device which connects to the PCI bus completely
independently of the on-chip IDE controller in the BX chipset.

As a result, there can be completely different compatibility
results for the HPT controller and the BX on-chip controller.
Both individual controller chips' compatibility sensitivities can
respond to their own independent BIOS updates.

Eg: A motherboard BIOS update can solve an on-chip IDE
controller issue -- however if that BIOS update uses the
same HPT insert as the previous motherboard BIOS, the
compatibility issues with the HPT controller won't change
at all.

Conversely, an HPT BIOS insert into the motherboard BIOS
with no changes to the basic motherboard BIOS can fix
HPT compatibility issues without changing the rest of the
BIOS at all. This is what happened with the 72_2351.BIN
update.

Potentially, there is a big plus to removing the HPT 370 controller's
PCI bus-speed-sensitivity -- this update *may* allow the user to
select a synchronous memory/PCI clock set.

Many motherboards have problems maintaining an async
memory/PCI speed set when O/C above a certain threshold
memory clock speed. See the Abit forums on the Abit USA
website for more info on this problem. Also, some motherboards
simply run faster with synchronous memory/AGP/PCI clocking.

If (and I have not confirmed this -- which is why I put the caveat
in my original post) the PCI bus-speed-sensitivity problem has
been completely resolved, then you should be able to move the
PCI clock off the 33MHz mark with impunity.

However, please note that *some* hard disk firmware doesn't
like faster PCI bus-clock speeds -- this is *irrespective* of
whether or not the HPT chip likes higher clocks or not. Only
in-depth testing with a full offline backup in place will allow the
user to recover from the difference between "the documentation
says" and "this is what actually happens" disease.

Note: It is entirely possible for a high PCI bus-clock-speed to
induce the hard drive to completely corrupt its entire data
set. This is why it is of paramount importance to have a
complete offline backup in place -- and to have that backup
completely disconnected from the test machine during the
experimentation phase.

If you do decide to experiment, please let the newsgroup know
the results of your investigations. Also include the make/model
and firmware version of your Hard Disks in your results post, so
we can get an idea of which drives are compatible with
high-speed-PCI-bus operation and which are not.

Hope this helps your understanding.

Bill

TomG

Distinguished