Nforce2 mobo's and Memory.....

How picky are Nforce2 Ultra 400 mobos and the memory sticks you put in them?
I recently got a ECS N2U400-A with a DDR400 capable chipset. I cant get the
board to work with any of the sticks I have. There both cheap pc2100 and
cheap pc2700 sticks. How important is it to have better memory. Are there
comptibility issues with cheap vs. $$$? I thought cheap ram showed up in
intense gaming, not just the ability to just boot the machine to Winows.
Which I can not do due to the numerous stop screens. Any Ideas?
Thanks..................

Get better RAM! The best you can afford - plus! If it's name brand, at least
you can return it.

If you use what Crucial recommends in their memory configurator and then
have problems, it will be exchanged "no questions asked"! You DO get what
you pay for.

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"CafeRacer" <rrfcafe@volcano.net> wrote in message
> How picky are Nforce2 Ultra 400 mobos and the memory sticks you put in
> them?
> I recently got a ECS N2U400-A with a DDR400 capable chipset. I cant get
> the
> board to work with any of the sticks I have. There both cheap pc2100 and
> cheap pc2700 sticks. How important is it to have better memory. Are there
> comptibility issues with cheap vs. $$$? I thought cheap ram showed up in
> intense gaming, not just the ability to just boot the machine to Winows.
> Which I can not do due to the numerous stop screens. Any Ideas?
> Thanks..................

peter

The Nforce2 chipsets are fussy about having the same type in more than one slot.
use all 2100 or all 2700(if thats all you got)
Also try running the ram in sync with whatever you are using for a CPU
peter

CafeRacer wrote:
> How picky are Nforce2 Ultra 400 mobos and the memory sticks you put
> in them? I recently got a ECS N2U400-A with a DDR400 capable chipset.
> I cant get the board to work with any of the sticks I have. There
> both cheap pc2100 and cheap pc2700 sticks. How important is it to
> have better memory. Are there comptibility issues with cheap vs. $$$?
> I thought cheap ram showed up in intense gaming, not just the ability
> to just boot the machine to Winows. Which I can not do due to the
> numerous stop screens. Any Ideas? Thanks..................

Generic RAM can often lead to problems, especially in dual channel
configuration, as on the Nforce2 Ultra400 chipset.
Set RAM speed to 133MHz. Disable SPD. Set RAM timings manually.8-3-3-3
should be fine. Set FSB to 133MHz. Use only the single PC2100 module to
start. After it boots correctly a few times, try the PC2700 module.

TRENDING THREADS