CD-ROM Misdetected

Sometimes, not always, when I boot up my computer will
misdetect my CD-ROM.

It usually misdetects as " p!a 0 QTAPY SDVOM.%"

I've gone to the manufacturer's site and there was a
statement on their site saying there was no driver for
the drive since it should be automatically be detected as
an ATAPI drive by Windows.

At the suggestion of a couple techs, I tried flashing the
drive, to no effect.

I'm having this problem in both XP and 98, though in 98
the drive simply doesn't appear in the device list when
its detection is screwed up.

Another thing, to get it to actually read a CD, I have to
have a commercially burned CD in the drive when the
computer is booting, and it will only read commercially
burned CDs, nothing else.

OT: Commercial retail CDs are not "burnt". They are "pressed".

> Another thing, to get it to actually read a CD, I have to
> have a commercially burned CD in the drive when the
> computer is booting, and it will only read commercially
> burned CDs, nothing else.

So? What does the alternate name for doing the exact
same thing matter?

Hi,
I just had a problem I could not solve on my own.
I asked for support from Microsoft and within less then 24 hours they e-mailed a procedure which
solved my problem (XP was not recognizing my cd writer).
To get the support go to START>CONTROL PANEL>HELP AND SUPPORT CENTRE>
GET SUPPORT>GET HELP FROM MICROSOFT
You will have to get .net passport to get this help. Prompts will direct you.
Best of luck, Adam