It Happened Again (Tom, Richard)

Hi,

Tha data corruption thing previously discussed with my Raid 0 on IC7G using
the 2 WD 8 meg cache HD's on Serillel II's has started happening again,
doing a repair on the raid (recoverable raid error) and doing an update
drivers (even though I removed all the old ones) on the Intel Sata Raid
Controller.

Having now lost my patience with the recurring problem, I've ordered 2
Seagate 80 gig Sata drives, my problem now though, since this is a procedure
I've never done. Can I just take a drive image of my current system, remove
the 2 WD drives, replace them with the 2 Seagates, and just use the image on
them? Since these will be new drives do I not have to Fdisk them or anything
before doing so.

It's a situation I've never been in before so could do with a pointer as to
how to go about it.

Many Thanks,

Dion L Heap
www.thetophouse.com
3 answers Last reply
More about happened richard

    Although I've used Serrillel2 adalptors with my board in the past with no
    issues I think they were/are a bit of a kludge. I found that by putting my
    PATA drives on the IDE ports that my system boots quicker and I think they
    are marginally faster in operation.

    I think it is relatively easy to use Norton Ghost or Acronis Trueimage to
    achieve what you want. I've done it a couple of times, but some time ago. I
    believe there's a thread on Abit's forum on this topic that you will find
    helpful.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Sorted, I connected the two SATA drives, did a ctrl I at boot, created my
    raid array, rebooted using floppy, than transferred my image to the new
    array, seems to have worked fine.

    Dion L Heap
    www.thetophouse.com
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    yes, you can image the existing array and then put the image back onto the
    new array. the only thing that you need to do is set up the array to be in
    the configuration that you want it to run in. no fdisking or anything...
    just configure the raid, boot to the imaging software utility and re-install
    the image.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 130,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    "Dion L Heap" <NoSpam@ThankYou.Com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Tha data corruption thing previously discussed with my Raid 0 on IC7G
    using
    > the 2 WD 8 meg cache HD's on Serillel II's has started happening again,
    > doing a repair on the raid (recoverable raid error) and doing an update
    > drivers (even though I removed all the old ones) on the Intel Sata Raid
    > Controller.
    >
    > Having now lost my patience with the recurring problem, I've ordered 2
    > Seagate 80 gig Sata drives, my problem now though, since this is a
    procedure
    > I've never done. Can I just take a drive image of my current system,
    remove
    > the 2 WD drives, replace them with the 2 Seagates, and just use the image
    on
    > them? Since these will be new drives do I not have to Fdisk them or
    anything
    > before doing so.
    >
    > It's a situation I've never been in before so could do with a pointer as
    > how to go about it.
    >
    > Many Thanks,
    >
    > Dion L Heap
    > www.thetophouse.com