Antoine

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2003

Hello,

I am trying to get my system to works with udma100.

Let's look at my spec:
Abit KT7A + Athlon 11x100Mhz
Windows 2000 professional service pack 4
640 Meg RAM @ 100
Leadtek Geforce 2MX 32MB DH
2 80 pins cables

pri mstr: 120 GB ata100 7200 (seagate)
pri slve: 15 GB ata66 (ibm)
scd mstr: 20 GB ata66 (ibm)
scd slve: 24x cdrom

UDMA is set to auto in bios and all drives are set to their correct
bandwith in bios. I can boot win2k without any trouble but it is really
slow !

In the device manager I have:
ATA/ATAPI IDE Controler
+- Primary IDE controler
+- Secondary IDE controler
+- VIA Bus Master IDE controler

Hard drives
+- IBM-DJNA-351520
+- IBM-DPTA-372050
+- ST3120026A

I can't find any advanced settings tab that show pio / dma mode to be used.

Last time I installed the via drivers it got me a blue screen on load
saying it can't load my graphic card driver (blue screen at boot saying
nv_minisys.sys being corrupt or something) although it works when I disable
dma ... I prefered removing the via ide driver.

Any idea ? ;))

--
Antoine

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 10:14:43 +0200, Antoine <thoNOPUBane@altern.org>
wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am trying to get my system to works with udma100.
>
>Let's look at my spec:
>Abit KT7A + Athlon 11x100Mhz
>Windows 2000 professional service pack 4
>640 Meg RAM @ 100
>Leadtek Geforce 2MX 32MB DH
>2 80 pins cables
>
>pri mstr: 120 GB ata100 7200 (seagate)
>pri slve: 15 GB ata66 (ibm)
>scd mstr: 20 GB ata66 (ibm)
>scd slve: 24x cdrom
>
>UDMA is set to auto in bios and all drives are set to their correct
>bandwith in bios. I can boot win2k without any trouble but it is really
>slow !
>
>In the device manager I have:
>ATA/ATAPI IDE Controler
>+- Primary IDE controler
>+- Secondary IDE controler
>+- VIA Bus Master IDE controler
>
>Hard drives
>+- IBM-DJNA-351520
>+- IBM-DPTA-372050
>+- ST3120026A
>
>I can't find any advanced settings tab that show pio / dma mode to be used.
>

>Last time I installed the via drivers it got me a blue screen on load
>saying it can't load my graphic card driver (blue screen at boot saying
>nv_minisys.sys being corrupt or something) although it works when I disable
>dma ... I prefered removing the via ide driver.
>
>Any idea ? ;))

I do not think it will run at UDMA 100. I am typing this on an early
KT7A - RAID machine with about the same processor. It will not run
UDMA100 on the main channels. It will run it on the RAID channels.
That might have changed with the latest BIOS but I do not think so as
I think it is a change in one of the support chips.

When I mentioned this a few months back somene called me a liar and
said these boards will run UDMA100 on the main channel so I think it
was a revsion level feature. There are several revsion levels of the
KT7A.

Antoine

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2003

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 10:14:43 +0200, Antoine wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to get my system to works with udma100.
>
> Let's look at my spec:
> Abit KT7A + Athlon 11x100Mhz
> Windows 2000 professional service pack 4
> 640 Meg RAM @ 100
> Leadtek Geforce 2MX 32MB DH
> 2 80 pins cables
>
> pri mstr: 120 GB ata100 7200 (seagate)
> pri slve: 15 GB ata66 (ibm)
> scd mstr: 20 GB ata66 (ibm)
> scd slve: 24x cdrom
>
> UDMA is set to auto in bios and all drives are set to their correct
> bandwith in bios. I can boot win2k without any trouble but it is really
> slow !
>
> In the device manager I have:
> ATA/ATAPI IDE Controler
> +- Primary IDE controler
> +- Secondary IDE controler
> +- VIA Bus Master IDE controler
>
> Hard drives
> +- IBM-DJNA-351520
> +- IBM-DPTA-372050
> +- ST3120026A
>
> I can't find any advanced settings tab that show pio / dma mode to be used.
>

> Last time I installed the via drivers it got me a blue screen on load
> saying it can't load my graphic card driver (blue screen at boot saying
> nv_minisys.sys being corrupt or something) although it works when I disable
> dma ... I prefered removing the via ide driver.
>
> Any idea ? ;))

Hello,

Well I guess posting to this newsgroup saved me :0) I just reinstalled,
uninstalled and reinstalled the lastest via driver and magicly it's now
working without error ! :)

cheers,

--
Antoine

Antoine

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2003

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 14:33:31 GMT, nothermark wrote:
> I do not think it will run at UDMA 100. I am typing this on an early
> KT7A - RAID machine with about the same processor. It will not run
> UDMA100 on the main channels. It will run it on the RAID channels.
> That might have changed with the latest BIOS but I do not think so as
> I think it is a change in one of the support chips.
>
> When I mentioned this a few months back somene called me a liar and
> said these boards will run UDMA100 on the main channel so I think it
> was a revsion level feature. There are several revsion levels of the
> KT7A.

Early windows 2000 didnt support ata 100, seems like with a service pack it
get fixed. I will try making a test to see what's going on. Actually
getting around 35MB/sec access :)

--
Antoine