Post Error AF on AN7 boot

Does anyone know what a post error of AF means. I am trying to put together
a new system and I get a long beep repeated about every 3 seconds and a post
code of AF. I can't find a description of that code anywhere. I know the
beep is in relation to the ram. I have tried reseating the ram in every
slot and pushing harder to seat it without success. The ram may have been
toasted when the previous XP chip experienced sudden cessation of life
(accidentally turned on the machine with the cpu fan off--replacing with a
new quieter fan--turned it off when I realized it, but couldn't put the
smell of dead chip back into the bottle). I am getting new ram that I hope
solves that problem. Appreciate any thoughts.

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 21:10:23 -0500, "Dave and Kim"
<dk_carey@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>Does anyone know what a post error of AF means.

RAM failure.

> I am trying to put together
>a new system and I get a long beep repeated about every 3 seconds and a post
>code of AF. I can't find a description of that code anywhere. I know the
>beep is in relation to the ram. I have tried reseating the ram in every
>slot and pushing harder to seat it without success. The ram may have been
>toasted when the previous XP chip experienced sudden cessation of life
>(accidentally turned on the machine with the cpu fan off--replacing with a
>new quieter fan--turned it off when I realized it, but couldn't put the
>smell of dead chip back into the bottle).

One of the joys of owning the XP processor. No internal thermal
protection. Fixed in the new-gen Athlons.

John Lewis