removing dual-boot

Ok I have two HD's dual-boot WinME and XP. I want to removing the one with
WinME on it (C drive) no more dual-boot, just XP and make my (d) drive with
XP on it the (c) drive. I'm also installing a new 80g drive. What I want to
know is can I just move the XP drive where the WinMe drive was set the drive
jumpers and boot from the XP CD and run the XP repair then install all the
XP updates and all will be fine or will I have to just install XP again from
the beginning after I move everything where I want it. In other words, Will
XP boot if it is made the boot drive after removing the dual-boot.

Thanks
Randy
P.S. I'm off the next few days so I want to get it done soon.
2 answers Last reply
More about removing dual boot

    To resolve your dilemma, perform a "clean install" correctly:

    The Windows XP CD is bootable and contains all the tools necessary
    to partition and format your drive. Follow this procedure and allow
    Windows XP to partition and format your drive:

    NOTE: It would be best to physically disconnect all your peripheral hardware
    devices, except the monitor, mouse and keyboard, before installing XP.

    NOTE: If you have an internal Zip Drive installed, physically disconnect the
    EIDE and power cable to it before proceeding, otherwise your main
    hard drive may not be assigned the customary C: drive letter.
    After installing Windows XP, you may then reconnect it.

    1. Open your BIOS and set your "CD Drive as the first bootable device".

    ===> Accessing Motherboard BIOS
    ===> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

    2. Insert your Windows XP CD in the CD Drive and reboot your computer.
    3. You'll see a message to boot to the CD....follow the instructions.
    4. The setup menu will appear and you should elect to delete all the existing
    Windows partitions, then create a new partition, then format the primary
    partition (preferably NTFS) and proceed to install Windows XP.

    5. Clean Install Windows XP

    [Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP]

    6. ==> Immediately after installing Windows XP, turn on XP's Firewall.
    ==> http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

    7. After Windows XP is installed, visit the Windows Update website
    and download the available "Critical Updates".

    8. After installing the critical updates, be sure and visit the support website
    of the manufacturer of the computer to download and install any
    available Windows XP compatible drivers, such as video adapter
    and audio drivers.

    9. If you happen to run into any installation difficulties, use the following resources:

    How to Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310064

    Troubleshooting Windows XP Setup

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]

    Note: If you are unable to activate Windows XP again via the internet,
    then select the option to "activate by telephone".

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    "Randy" <cakeman47@hotmail.com> wrote in message:

    | Ok I have two HD's dual-boot WinME and XP. I want to removing the one with
    | WinME on it (C drive) no more dual-boot, just XP and make my (d) drive with
    | XP on it the (c) drive. I'm also installing a new 80g drive. What I want to
    | know is can I just move the XP drive where the WinMe drive was set the drive
    | jumpers and boot from the XP CD and run the XP repair then install all the
    | XP updates and all will be fine or will I have to just install XP again from
    | the beginning after I move everything where I want it. In other words, Will
    | XP boot if it is made the boot drive after removing the dual-boot.
    |
    | Thanks
    | Randy
    | P.S. I'm off the next few days so I want to get it done soon.

    Carey,
    Thanks. I thought I would have to do the install but was hoping to make it a
    bit easier.
    Randy

Dual Boot Windows XP