on-board sound

Could someone please tell me that if you are using an external sound device
and you have disabled integrated sound on your mainboard, is the external
sound device fully independent of any audio components/drivers/busses from
the mainboard?

I am asking this because MPU-401 is the only Midi output device that has
'volume' and 'about' not greyed out in the control panel settings. I still
don't retain that setting when i close control panel.
My window sound problem and, it seems, others all started after a windows
update a month or so back so i can't tell if I have a hardware or software
problem after trying all the driver reinstalls and reg edits.

TIA
Regards
Sheri

--
Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as
well dance

peter

It is possible to actually use onboard sound and a sound card on a computer.
This should tell you that the 2 need to be configured so that they do not
interfere with one another.
If they were to use the same IRQ/midi port/ they would definitly interfere
with one another.
Most of these settings are in the BIOS.
I would suggest that no matter which one you have you should try the driver
rollback feature
If that does not work go to the manufacturers website and download their drivers
for your specific sound card
uninstall the present drivers (control panel/add&remove) and install the
manufacturers.

peter

peter <peter@nomalarky.net> tickled the keyboard:
> It is possible to actually use onboard sound and a sound card on a
> computer. This should tell you that the 2 need to be configured so
> that they do not interfere with one another.
> If they were to use the same IRQ/midi port/ they would definitly
> interfere with one another.
> Most of these settings are in the BIOS.
> I would suggest that no matter which one you have you should try the
> driver rollback feature
> If that does not work go to the manufacturers website and download
> their drivers for your specific sound card
> uninstall the present drivers (control panel/add&remove) and install
> the manufacturers.

My sound problem began when I was using onboard sound BEFORE I bought my
external sound card. I have aways had integrated sound fully disabled in the
BIOS before I installed my external card.

I thought my problem would be corrected if i removed my onboard sound
completely from the loop. My sound card has up to date drivers and works
fine with mp3's .wav.s and the CDROM and streaming music It seems to be
just windows sound and web sounds that have disappeared

Regards
Sheri
--
Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might
as well dance

peter

Look under Control Panel/sounds&audio/sounds
check on your sound scheme

> peter <peter@nomalarky.net> tickled the keyboard:
> > It is possible to actually use onboard sound and a sound card on a
> > computer. This should tell you that the 2 need to be configured so
> > that they do not interfere with one another.
> > If they were to use the same IRQ/midi port/ they would definitly
> > interfere with one another.
> > Most of these settings are in the BIOS.
> > I would suggest that no matter which one you have you should try the
> > driver rollback feature
> > If that does not work go to the manufacturers website and download
> > their drivers for your specific sound card
> > uninstall the present drivers (control panel/add&remove) and install
> > the manufacturers.
>
> My sound problem began when I was using onboard sound BEFORE I bought my
> external sound card. I have aways had integrated sound fully disabled in the
> BIOS before I installed my external card.
>
> I thought my problem would be corrected if i removed my onboard sound
> completely from the loop. My sound card has up to date drivers and works
> fine with mp3's .wav.s and the CDROM and streaming music It seems to be
> just windows sound and web sounds that have disappeared
>
> Regards
> Sheri
> --
> Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might
> as well dance

peter <peter@nomalarky.net> tickled the keyboard:
> Look under Control Panel/sounds&audio/sounds
> check on your sound scheme

I already have. The playback button is greyed out with the default sounds
and also any customised sound scheme
Regards
Sheri