Abit NF7 vs KV7 buying decision help

I am building a new machine. Any suggestions to which one I should
buy? I am going to stick to a budget, and these are running $72 for
NF7 and $65 for KV7. I always bought VIA chipsets in the past, so I
am wondering about the nforce 2. Also, I always bought nvidia
graphics cards in the past, but I am thinking about getting an ATI
9600XT if that makes a difference. Also, I want to keep costs down by
using 1 gig of PC2700 ram that I already have. I am looking to play
RTS games like Rise of Nations, UT2004 and Battlefield Vietnam.
Thanks.

I really lost interest in VIA chipsets after my VIA KT133 based motherboards. I
couldn't get my Radeon 9500 Pro or Radeon 9800 Pro to play a single game on
either of my KT133 based motherboards.
I've heard the new VIA chipsets for Athlons are just as good performance-wise
as the nforce2-based boards. Nforce2 is great for overclocking though.

On 25 Apr 2004 21:54:55 GMT, wblane@aol.combotizer (Wblane) wrote:

>I really lost interest in VIA chipsets after my VIA KT133 based motherboards. I
>couldn't get my Radeon 9500 Pro or Radeon 9800 Pro to play a single game on
>either of my KT133 based motherboards.

Abit KT7-Raid on an A9 & AMD - AIUHB - TBredB & ATi 9500np with 8
pipes open, years ago, and still running - faultless.

>I've heard the new VIA chipsets for Athlons are just as good performance-wise
>as the nforce2-based boards. Nforce2 is great for overclocking though.

Which new, I don't even rate NF3's or 64bit on a bang for buck basis -
yet!

>-Bill (remove "botizer" to reply via email)
Don't use e-mail, NG's only, BoroLad

The KAVA has more features (SATAN built in) but the NEFF has slightly better
performance and is better for overclocking (locked pci and agp bus)....the
choice is yours, it depends on if you want SATAN or not. The NEFF-SO
includes SATAN but is a little more expensive again.
--
*****Replace 'NAPALM'S with 'bitternut's in the reply address*****
"javajeff" <javajeff@city-net.com> wrote in message
> I am building a new machine. Any suggestions to which one I should
> buy? I am going to stick to a budget, and these are running $72 for
> NF7 and $65 for KV7. I always bought VIA chipsets in the past, so I
> am wondering about the nforce 2. Also, I always bought nvidia
> graphics cards in the past, but I am thinking about getting an ATI
> 9600XT if that makes a difference. Also, I want to keep costs down by
> using 1 gig of PC2700 ram that I already have. I am looking to play
> RTS games like Rise of Nations, UT2004 and Battlefield Vietnam.
> Thanks.

On 25 Apr 2004 21:54:55 GMT, wblane@aol.combotizer (Wblane) wrote:

>I really lost interest in VIA chipsets after my VIA KT133 based motherboards. I
>couldn't get my Radeon 9500 Pro or Radeon 9800 Pro to play a single game on
>either of my KT133 based motherboards.
>I've heard the new VIA chipsets for Athlons are just as good performance-wise
>as the nforce2-based boards. Nforce2 is great for overclocking though.
>-Bill (remove "botizer" to reply via email)

I read a good review on the nforce2 chipset. My last three boards
were all Via, and I did not have trouble with them. However, I keep
reading about others having trouble, so I guess I slipped into my time
will come mentality...I bought nforce2. I hope I made a good choice.
I could use a little after purchase reinforcement. :)

Regards,

javajeff

"BigBadger" <big_badger@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> The KAVA has more features (SATAN built in) but the NEFF has slightly
better
> performance and is better for overclocking (locked pci and agp bus)....the
> choice is yours, it depends on if you want SATAN or not. The NEFF-SO
> includes SATAN but is a little more expensive again.

Bloody automatic spelling correction strikes again.....I see MS word turns
SATA into SATAN....spooky!!!

I had a Chaintech AJA2e maybe I should've been blaming them and not VIA.

I was thinking of the new VIA KT600? Whatever, VIA's latest dual-channel Athlon
chipset is.

>On 25 Apr 2004 21:54:55 GMT, wblane@aol.combotizer (Wblane) wrote:
>
>>I really lost interest in VIA chipsets after my VIA KT133 based
>motherboards. I
>>couldn't get my Radeon 9500 Pro or Radeon 9800 Pro to play a single game on
>>either of my KT133 based motherboards.
>
>Abit KT7-Raid on an A9 & AMD - AIUHB - TBredB & ATi 9500np with 8
>pipes open, years ago, and still running - faultless.
>
>>I've heard the new VIA chipsets for Athlons are just as good
>performance-wise
>>as the nforce2-based boards. Nforce2 is great for overclocking though.
>
>Which new, I don't even rate NF3's or 64bit on a bang for buck basis -
>yet!
>
>>-Bill (remove "botizer" to reply via email)
>Don't use e-mail, NG's only, BoroLad

That is wierd. I wonder if the letters of Bill Gates' name add up to 666.

In article <20040426140940.13152.00000230@mb-m11.aol.com>,
wblane@aol.combotizer says...

http://bbspot.com/News/2000/4/MS_Buys_Evil.html