headphones - distorted sound

When I plug my headphones into the headphone socket on my speakers (powered
stereo desktop set, work fine) I get a deep bass buzzing distortion even at
zero volume. If I increase the volume I also get high pitched feedback (a
bit like what you get on FM radio if the station isn't broadcasting).

Also, bizarrely enough, sound from the left speaker goes to the right
headphone & vice versa.

If I disconnect the speakers from the green jack on the sound card, and
unplug the speaker power from the PC, and plug the headphones directly into
the green jack, I lose the bass buzzing but still get the high pitch
distortion (but at least out of the right earpiece!).

It's not the headphones that are the problem; they work fine with my hi-fi,
and I've tried more than one set.

I have onboard nVidia audio on my XP home PC. I've tried adjusting the
settings in the nForce control panel but with no luck. I'm sure it must be
software as the speakers work fine.

Please can you help - my neighbours'll thank you for it!

Thanks, Cookie_365
4 answers Last reply
More about headphones distorted sound

    Cheap speakers with wiring crossed and no internal balun for
    the headphone output. You really will do better plugging
    headphones into a headphone box.

    "cookie_365" <donteventryemailingme@hotmail.com> wrote in
    message news:BD_cc.362$p45.223@newsfe1-win...
    | When I plug my headphones into the headphone socket on my
    speakers (powered
    | stereo desktop set, work fine) I get a deep bass buzzing
    distortion even at
    | zero volume. If I increase the volume I also get high
    pitched feedback (a
    | bit like what you get on FM radio if the station isn't
    broadcasting).

    | Also, bizarrely enough, sound from the left speaker goes
    to the right
    | headphone & vice versa.
    |
    | If I disconnect the speakers from the green jack on the
    sound card, and
    | unplug the speaker power from the PC, and plug the
    headphones directly into
    | the green jack, I lose the bass buzzing but still get the
    high pitch
    | distortion (but at least out of the right earpiece!).
    |
    | It's not the headphones that are the problem; they work
    fine with my hi-fi,
    | and I've tried more than one set.
    |
    | I have onboard nVidia audio on my XP home PC. I've tried
    adjusting the
    | settings in the nForce control panel but with no luck. I'm
    sure it must be
    | software as the speakers work fine.
    |
    | Please can you help - my neighbours'll thank you for it!
    |
    | Thanks, Cookie_365

    If you are listening to a CD plug the headphones directly in the CD player
    and see if everything is OK there.

    --
    Steve C. Ray
    (Replace "mail" with "36db"
    "cookie_365" <donteventryemailingme@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > When I plug my headphones into the headphone socket on my speakers
    (powered
    > stereo desktop set, work fine) I get a deep bass buzzing distortion even
    at
    > zero volume. If I increase the volume I also get high pitched feedback (a
    > bit like what you get on FM radio if the station isn't broadcasting).
    >
    > Also, bizarrely enough, sound from the left speaker goes to the right
    > headphone & vice versa.
    >
    > If I disconnect the speakers from the green jack on the sound card, and
    > unplug the speaker power from the PC, and plug the headphones directly
    into
    > the green jack, I lose the bass buzzing but still get the high pitch
    > distortion (but at least out of the right earpiece!).
    >
    > It's not the headphones that are the problem; they work fine with my
    hi-fi,
    > and I've tried more than one set.
    >
    > I have onboard nVidia audio on my XP home PC. I've tried adjusting the
    > settings in the nForce control panel but with no luck. I'm sure it must be
    > software as the speakers work fine.
    >
    > Please can you help - my neighbours'll thank you for it!
    >
    > Thanks, Cookie_365

    Thanks Jim. What's a headphone box? And why do I still get the high freq
    distortion with the headphones directly in the soundcard & the speakers
    disconnected?

    > Cheap speakers with wiring crossed and no internal balun for
    > the headphone output. You really will do better plugging
    > headphones into a headphone box.
    >

    > "cookie_365" <donteventryemailingme@hotmail.com> wrote in
    > message news:BD_cc.362$p45.223@newsfe1-win...
    > | When I plug my headphones into the headphone socket on my
    > speakers (powered
    > | stereo desktop set, work fine) I get a deep bass buzzing
    > distortion even at
    > | zero volume. If I increase the volume I also get high
    > pitched feedback (a
    > | bit like what you get on FM radio if the station isn't
    > broadcasting).
    > |
    > | Also, bizarrely enough, sound from the left speaker goes
    > to the right
    > | headphone & vice versa.
    > |
    > | If I disconnect the speakers from the green jack on the
    > sound card, and
    > | unplug the speaker power from the PC, and plug the
    > headphones directly into
    > | the green jack, I lose the bass buzzing but still get the
    > high pitch
    > | distortion (but at least out of the right earpiece!).
    > |
    > | It's not the headphones that are the problem; they work
    > fine with my hi-fi,
    > | and I've tried more than one set.
    > |
    > | I have onboard nVidia audio on my XP home PC. I've tried
    > adjusting the
    > | settings in the nForce control panel but with no luck. I'm
    > sure it must be
    > | software as the speakers work fine.
    > |
    > | Please can you help - my neighbours'll thank you for it!
    > |
    > | Thanks, Cookie_365

    You have poorly shielded headphone, frequency leakage inside
    the computer and maybe too much power being applied to the
    circuit.

    When I said headphone box, I meant an isolated amplifier
    like what a good stereo sound system uses.

    "cookie_365" <donteventryemailingme@hotmail.com> wrote in
    message news:cG%cc.386$p45.96@newsfe1-win...
    | Thanks Jim. What's a headphone box? And why do I still get
    the high freq
    | distortion with the headphones directly in the soundcard &
    the speakers
    | disconnected?

    in message
    | > Cheap speakers with wiring crossed and no internal balun
    for
    | > the headphone output. You really will do better
    plugging
    | > headphones into a headphone box.
    | >

    | > "cookie_365" <donteventryemailingme@hotmail.com> wrote
    in
    | > message news:BD_cc.362$p45.223@newsfe1-win...
    | > | When I plug my headphones into the headphone socket on
    my
    | > speakers (powered
    | > | stereo desktop set, work fine) I get a deep bass
    buzzing
    | > distortion even at
    | > | zero volume. If I increase the volume I also get high
    | > pitched feedback (a
    | > | bit like what you get on FM radio if the station isn't
    | > broadcasting).
    | > |
    | > | Also, bizarrely enough, sound from the left speaker
    goes
    | > to the right
    | > | headphone & vice versa.
    | > |
    | > | If I disconnect the speakers from the green jack on
    the
    | > sound card, and
    | > | unplug the speaker power from the PC, and plug the
    | > headphones directly into
    | > | the green jack, I lose the bass buzzing but still get
    the
    | > high pitch
    | > | distortion (but at least out of the right earpiece!).
    | > |
    | > | It's not the headphones that are the problem; they
    work
    | > fine with my hi-fi,
    | > | and I've tried more than one set.
    | > |
    | > | I have onboard nVidia audio on my XP home PC. I've
    tried
    | > adjusting the
    | > | settings in the nForce control panel but with no luck.
    I'm
    | > sure it must be
    | > | software as the speakers work fine.
    | > |
    | > | Please can you help - my neighbours'll thank you for
    it!
    | > |
    | > | Thanks, Cookie_365
    | > |