Sound Blaster MP3+ USB in XP

Henrik

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 with Win-XP Home. I've tried
installing Sound Blaster MP3+ in Win-XP, but no joy. It
finds a 'USB Domposite Device', but the device manager
tells me that it won't start - Code 10. My USB port is
fine, as is the card. I come up fine in Mandrake Linux.
I've tried installing and uninstalling, disabling the built
in soundcard in the bios. I've downloaded updates from both
Creative and Microsoft, but no luck.

I guess Microsoft has 'updated' USB support in XP, which
has in turn broken support for this device (according to
this page:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814560&Product=WinXP
) So, where can I get the fix for this? Do I really have to
pay $35 or whatever to email a Microsoft person just to get
a link this this fix which apparantly already exists?

Thanks.

peter

Hi,

First, disable the on-board sound from BIOS, save and exit BIOS settings.
Disconnect all the USB peripherals.
Restart your PC in safe mode (by pressing F8 Key) and login as administrator.
Go to device manager, double click the Universal Bus Controller and then uninstall the XXX PCI to USB Open Host Controller.
Uninstall the sound blaster sound card as well if it appeared in the device manager.
Reboot the PC, windows should find the USB and install the drivers.
Strictly follow the instructions from creative for how to install the sound card drivers.

Hope it helps.

Peter