new computer question

Here's an easy one.....

I need to go buy a general purpose pc (full package to include mouse,
keyboard, flat screen monitor), for light duty office email and word
processing. I have to get three competitive bids.

What features/specs, etc, should I be looking for (in addition to Win XP for
OS) to be able to readily find an economical package? I figure going to
Wal Wart, Circuit City, etc, but want to be comparing apples to apples.
20 answers Last reply
More about computer question

    That's actually part of what I do where I work, I work for a non-profit orginization and I do research on what I can get for the least amount of money. I'd say at bare minimum you would want 512MB of memory, this is because you can do XP with 128, but it's slow as hell, it works fine with 256, but if all your doing is light office work 512 should keep you going without any upgrades for a while. You will want a hard drive that is at least 30GB because you want to back up your data, you also NEED some sort of backup media, zip drive, CD-Burner, USB hard drive, you will need this for again data backup and then all the other stuff is just pretty standard, your best bet is to buy at bestbuy or a computer store online, but I strongly sugest 512MB of memory, 30GB hard drive, and backup media.

    What is your budget? I would suggest a Dell www.dell.com
    Any of their computers will do what you have described for
    very little money. The flat panel will be the most
    expensive part, and you should get a 17" to do your work,
    after all you'll be spending your time looking at it all the
    time.

    You can also try Gateway www.gateway.com but they are having
    some trouble and have had to close retail stores around the
    country, on-line ordering is so much more attractive.
    Gateway has also just bought eMachines.

    Is this for an office or a home and will it be on a LAN ?

    Don't expect the applications software to be included for
    free, applications are what makes a computer useful.
    Windows XP is just the operating system, to do word
    processing, mailings, desktop publishing, spreadsheets and
    databases you must purchase the programs you want. Office
    is the standard program and is very powerful.

    If you are going to have the computer at a business I would
    suggest that you get Windows XP Professional because it is
    designed for extra security and networking.

    With software, the computer and applications you'll spend
    about $1,000. You should consider a scanner and printer
    also, there are models that combine these in one box, but
    you might be better served with dedicated units.

    You might want to check with a local computer shop that can
    build and support your system if it will be a business,
    providing loaner printers and such if necessary.

    "RB" <rbig@bellsouth.nosopam.net> wrote in message
    | Here's an easy one.....
    |
    | I need to go buy a general purpose pc (full package to
    include mouse,
    | keyboard, flat screen monitor), for light duty office
    email and word
    | processing. I have to get three competitive bids.
    |
    | What features/specs, etc, should I be looking for (in
    addition to Win XP for
    | OS) to be able to readily find an economical package? I
    figure going to
    | Wal Wart, Circuit City, etc, but want to be comparing
    apples to apples.

    Smarter and easier to visit Dell.com or HP.com. Do your
    homework there. Get more options. Typically pay less.

    Some store salesman are good, patient, and deserve your
    business. Others are total scam artists selling all kinds of
    nonsense that sounds good. For example, if he recommends
    anything from Monster, or cables with gold plated connectors,
    then run for the hills. If any recommend a plug-in protector,
    just say no.

    Only option I strongly recommend is the optical mouse over a
    mechanical mouse.

    No one can say what features you 'need'. You have not
    provided anywhere near sufficient detail on all tasks that
    computer will do today and in the future.

    RB wrote:
    > Here's an easy one.....
    >
    > I need to go buy a general purpose pc (full package to include mouse,
    > keyboard, flat screen monitor), for light duty office email and word
    > processing. I have to get three competitive bids.
    >
    > What features/specs, etc, should I be looking for (in addition to
    > Win XP for OS) to be able to readily find an economical package?
    > I figure going to Wal Wart, Circuit City, etc, but want to be
    > comparing apples to apples.

    A simple benchmark for any acceptable machine. Do they
    provide comprehensive diagnostics for their products - for
    free? If not, then remove it from a list of acceptable
    products.

    But Gateway was even more appalling. For example, memory may
    be sold in two chip or nine chip versions. BIOS must read data
    from SIMM and configure computer for either type. That means,
    for example, a 256Mb SIMM of either type should work in the
    machine. Or the manufacturer should make it clearly obvious
    which type does and does not work. Last Gateway would not
    work with the two chip SIMM. Gateway customer service could
    not even say same; instead blaming me from not buying memory
    from them. Discovered: BIOS only understood the nine chip
    version. BIOS upgrade even would not permit the two chip type
    to work. Gateway customer support instead lies to me about a
    few things related to this problem (mostly due to technical
    ignorance). Went to crucial.com to get an honest technical
    answer that Gateway could not provide.

    Take Gateway off of any list of acceptable products. What I
    saw years ago now explains why even the Country Stores may be
    closing. A company that cannot be technically honest and
    transparent today will not be a good computer company
    tomorrow. Gateway does not even provide diagnostics for their
    machines - the most damning fact.

    Jim Macklin wrote:
    > What is your budget? I would suggest a Dell www.dell.com
    > Any of their computers will do what you have described for
    > very little money. The flat panel will be the most
    > expensive part, and you should get a 17" to do your work,
    > after all you'll be spending your time looking at it all the
    > time.
    >
    > You can also try Gateway www.gateway.com but they are having
    > some trouble and have had to close retail stores around the
    > country, on-line ordering is so much more attractive.
    > Gateway has also just bought eMachines.
    >
    > Is this for an office or a home and will it be on a LAN ?
    >
    > Don't expect the applications software to be included for
    > free, applications are what makes a computer useful.
    > Windows XP is just the operating system, to do word
    > processing, mailings, desktop publishing, spreadsheets and
    > databases you must purchase the programs you want. Office
    > is the standard program and is very powerful.
    >
    > If you are going to have the computer at a business I would
    > suggest that you get Windows XP Professional because it is
    > designed for extra security and networking.
    >
    > With software, the computer and applications you'll spend
    > about $1,000. You should consider a scanner and printer
    > also, there are models that combine these in one box, but
    > you might be better served with dedicated units.
    >
    > You might want to check with a local computer shop that can
    > build and support your system if it will be a business,
    > providing loaner printers and such if necessary.

    IMO going to Walmart or Circuit City are not very good choices. Circuit City
    over charges, and Walmart has low quality. Don't go to Best Buy either, for
    the same reasons. I suggest retail outlets such as MicroCenter or Frys. Also
    take a look at eBay or online companies such as Provantage or Newegg. Most
    important, figure out exactly what you want in advance (HD capacity, CPU
    speed, operating system, amount of RAM, peripheral devices such as a CD-RW
    or a DVD recorder). In general, since you intend on using Windows XP, I
    suggest 512 MB of RAM, at least a 2 GHZ CPU, and at least a 40 GB HD
    (Western Digital is a good brand), and a power supply of at least 350 watts.
    Also, for your office work, Microsoft Office is a good choice. It includes
    Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft Powerpoint.

    By the way, desktop PCs are usually less expensive for the same capability
    than laptops.

    Good luck on your search.

    "RB" <rbig@bellsouth.nosopam.net> wrote in message
    > Here's an easy one.....
    >
    > I need to go buy a general purpose pc (full package to include mouse,
    > keyboard, flat screen monitor), for light duty office email and word
    > processing. I have to get three competitive bids.
    >
    > What features/specs, etc, should I be looking for (in addition to Win XP
    for
    > OS) to be able to readily find an economical package? I figure going to
    > Wal Wart, Circuit City, etc, but want to be comparing apples to apples.

    "RB" <rbig@bellsouth.nosopam.net> wrote in message
    > Here's an easy one.....
    >
    > I need to go buy a general purpose pc (full package to include
    mouse,
    > keyboard, flat screen monitor), for light duty office email and word
    > processing. I have to get three competitive bids.
    >
    > What features/specs, etc, should I be looking for (in addition to
    Win XP for
    > OS) to be able to readily find an economical package? I figure
    going to
    > Wal Wart, Circuit City, etc, but want to be comparing apples to
    apples.

    Support your local businesses.......It is too hard to find out what
    parts these bigbox stores have installed......Support; which is
    better drive across town or call to India.....

    The computer companies, Dell included, are hiring out
    tech support overseas putting techs here out of work. (If the companies
    here keep sending work overseas soon there will be no one here to buy
    anything since no one will be working and they will wonder why sells have
    dropped, eh.) When you call for support you may get a reading from a book
    and two techs will give you two different answers for the same problem (one
    may void your warranty, that's how bad it can be). There are horror stories
    at PC World and various other magazines and web sites about this. You may
    get someone whose English is so bad that you can't even understand them. It
    isn't what it used to be, that's why I build my own and have for years (it
    is easier to return one bad component).

    You may want to try a local computer store (mom and pop variety) since,
    lately, they have been getting better scores (PC World). Make sure that
    they have been in business for a good while and that they have a good
    standing with the BBB. Make sure you get everything in writing and what the
    length of the warranty and what the warranty contains. Make sure of their
    support. You can pick and choose your components this way - there on site
    and it is generally cheaper. Some will give you a discount if you are
    non-profit.

    My opinion only!

    "RB" <rbig@bellsouth.nosopam.net> wrote in message
    > Here's an easy one.....
    >
    > I need to go buy a general purpose pc (full package to include mouse,
    > keyboard, flat screen monitor), for light duty office email and word
    > processing. I have to get three competitive bids.
    >
    > What features/specs, etc, should I be looking for (in addition to Win XP
    for
    > OS) to be able to readily find an economical package? I figure going to
    > Wal Wart, Circuit City, etc, but want to be comparing apples to apples.

    One major problem with that discount (mom and pop) store is
    that their power supplies may be missing essential functions
    that were defacto standard even 30 years ago. Those who
    believe in free markets always buy the best. IOW buy power
    supplies that meet Intel specifications. Those who would
    protect the technically naive buy inferior products from
    little computer store; whose people never even learned what
    those essential power supply functions are.

    But again. How to know that little computer store does not
    provide a good product. Where are the comprehensive
    diagnostics for the system? Not only is power supply missing
    essential functions (that could destroy other computer
    components), but the little computer store does not provide
    comprehensive diagnostics. Just more reasons why the Dell
    would be a better product.

    mouseyface wrote:
    > The computer companies, Dell included, are hiring out
    > tech support overseas putting techs here out of work. (If the
    > companies here keep sending work overseas soon there will be no
    > one here to buy anything since no one will be working and they
    > will wonder why sells have dropped, eh.) When you call for
    > support you may get a reading from a book and two techs will give
    > you two different answers for the same problem (one may void your
    > warranty, that's how bad it can be). There are horror stories
    > at PC World and various other magazines and web sites about this.
    > You may get someone whose English is so bad that you can't even
    > understand them. It isn't what it used to be, that's why I build
    > my own and have for years (it is easier to return one bad
    > component).
    >
    > You may want to try a local computer store (mom and pop variety)
    > since, lately, they have been getting better scores (PC World).
    > Make sure that they have been in business for a good while and
    > that they have a good standing with the BBB. Make sure you get
    > everything in writing and what the length of the warranty and what
    > the warranty contains. Make sure of their support. You can pick
    > and choose your components this way - there on site and it is
    > generally cheaper. Some will give you a discount if you are
    > non-profit.
    >
    > My opinion only!

    For example only, there is a computer store here in Wichita
    that will build you a computer from the components you
    select. They will support it. You can select the case,
    power supply, mobo, CPU, what ever you want. You can buy
    the parts from them and do it yourself or they will put it
    together for you. They seem to be pretty sharp and the shop
    area is clean and neat. If you don't know what you want or
    need they will help you with the project.

    Their prices did not seem out of line, in fact they offered
    to order a mobo for me and there price was no higher than
    New Egg for the same product.

    I hope they are still business when I can afford to upgrade
    this computer and build a few more for the family.

    "w_tom" <w_tom1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    why I build
    | > my own and have for years (it is easier to return one
    bad
    | > component).
    | >
    | > You may want to try a local computer store (mom and pop
    variety)
    | > since, lately, they have been getting better scores (PC
    World).
    | > Make sure that they have been in business for a good
    while and
    | > that they have a good standing with the BBB. Make sure
    you get
    | > everything in writing and what the length of the
    warranty and what
    | > the warranty contains. Make sure of their support. You
    can pick
    | > and choose your components this way - there on site and
    it is
    | > generally cheaper. Some will give you a discount if you

    spelling correction
    "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
    in message news:eyuuUSgHEHA.4088@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    | For example only, there is a computer store here in
    Wichita
    | that will build you a computer from the components you
    | select. They will support it. You can select the case,
    | power supply, mobo, CPU, what ever you want. You can buy
    | the parts from them and do it yourself or they will put it
    | together for you. They seem to be pretty sharp and the
    shop
    | area is clean and neat. If you don't know what you want
    or
    | need they will help you with the project.
    |
    | Their prices did not seem out of line, in fact they
    offered
    | to order a mobo for me and their price was no higher than
    | New Egg for the same product.
    |
    | I hope they are still business when I can afford to
    upgrade
    | this computer and build a few more for the family.
    |

    | "w_tom" <w_tom1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    | | One major problem with that discount (mom and pop)
    store
    | is
    | | that their power supplies may be missing essential
    | functions
    | | that were defacto standard even 30 years ago. Those who
    | | believe in free markets always buy the best. IOW buy
    | power
    | | supplies that meet Intel specifications. Those who
    would
    | | protect the technically naive buy inferior products from
    | | little computer store; whose people never even learned
    | what
    | | those essential power supply functions are.
    | |
    | | But again. How to know that little computer store
    does
    | not
    | | provide a good product. Where are the comprehensive
    | | diagnostics for the system? Not only is power supply
    | missing
    | | essential functions (that could destroy other computer
    | | components), but the little computer store does not
    | provide
    | | comprehensive diagnostics. Just more reasons why the
    Dell
    | | would be a better product.
    | |
    | | mouseyface wrote:
    | | > The computer companies, Dell included, are hiring out
    | | > tech support overseas putting techs here out of work.
    | (If the
    | | > companies here keep sending work overseas soon there
    | will be no
    | | > one here to buy anything since no one will be working
    | and they
    | | > will wonder why sells have dropped, eh.) When you
    call
    | for
    | | > support you may get a reading from a book and two
    techs
    | will give
    | | > you two different answers for the same problem (one
    may
    | void your
    | | > warranty, that's how bad it can be). There are horror
    | stories
    | | > at PC World and various other magazines and web sites
    | about this.
    | | > You may get someone whose English is so bad that you
    | can't even
    | | > understand them. It isn't what it used to be, that's
    | why I build
    | | > my own and have for years (it is easier to return one
    | bad
    | | > component).
    | | >
    | | > You may want to try a local computer store (mom and
    pop
    | variety)
    | | > since, lately, they have been getting better scores
    (PC
    | World).
    | | > Make sure that they have been in business for a good
    | while and
    | | > that they have a good standing with the BBB. Make
    sure
    | you get
    | | > everything in writing and what the length of the
    | warranty and what
    | | > the warranty contains. Make sure of their support.
    You
    | can pick
    | | > and choose your components this way - there on site
    and
    | it is
    | | > generally cheaper. Some will give you a discount if
    you
    | are
    | | > non-profit.
    | | >
    | | > My opinion only!

    I totally disagree on two counts.

    One, there is no such thing as a modern computer power supply that lacks
    some "essential functions". Sure, some power supplies are under powered (100
    watts, for example) or are of poor quality, but lacking essential functions?
    No.

    Two, the people at every Mom and Pop computer store I have ever visited
    possess far more technical knowledge than their counterparts at the larger
    computer outlets - who are almost always just clerks having little knowledge
    and - at most - possessing only a script to answer customers questions.
    Further, the Mom and Pop stores are flexible enough to give the customer
    exactly what he wants, including component brand selection and
    non-proprietary hardware. Guess who sells the low quality, proprietary,
    difficult to upgrade systems to unsuspecting customers? Ever heard of
    E-Machines, Packard Bell, or Compaq? These brands do not come from Mom and
    Pop stores.

    And why the emphasis on Intel? Amd is another perfectly good option.

    "w_tom" <w_tom1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > One major problem with that discount (mom and pop) store is
    > that their power supplies may be missing essential functions
    > that were defacto standard even 30 years ago. Those who
    > believe in free markets always buy the best. IOW buy power
    > supplies that meet Intel specifications. Those who would
    > protect the technically naive buy inferior products from
    > little computer store; whose people never even learned what
    > those essential power supply functions are.
    >
    > But again. How to know that little computer store does not
    > provide a good product. Where are the comprehensive
    > diagnostics for the system? Not only is power supply missing
    > essential functions (that could destroy other computer
    > components), but the little computer store does not provide
    > comprehensive diagnostics. Just more reasons why the Dell
    > would be a better product.
    >
    > mouseyface wrote:
    > > The computer companies, Dell included, are hiring out
    > > tech support overseas putting techs here out of work. (If the
    > > companies here keep sending work overseas soon there will be no
    > > one here to buy anything since no one will be working and they
    > > will wonder why sells have dropped, eh.) When you call for
    > > support you may get a reading from a book and two techs will give
    > > you two different answers for the same problem (one may void your
    > > warranty, that's how bad it can be). There are horror stories
    > > at PC World and various other magazines and web sites about this.
    > > You may get someone whose English is so bad that you can't even
    > > understand them. It isn't what it used to be, that's why I build
    > > my own and have for years (it is easier to return one bad
    > > component).
    > >
    > > You may want to try a local computer store (mom and pop variety)
    > > since, lately, they have been getting better scores (PC World).
    > > Make sure that they have been in business for a good while and
    > > that they have a good standing with the BBB. Make sure you get
    > > everything in writing and what the length of the warranty and what
    > > the warranty contains. Make sure of their support. You can pick
    > > and choose your components this way - there on site and it is
    > > generally cheaper. Some will give you a discount if you are
    > > non-profit.
    > >
    > > My opinion only!

    I find power supplies often missing essential functions.
    Missing functions are most common in clone computers. Intel
    had even stated what specific functions must exist in a power
    supply (if AMD provides such technical specs for power
    supplies, then please provide the URL).

    Ballpark numbers - a power supply selling for $20 or $30 is
    routinely missing those essential functions. Power supplies
    that include those essential functions typically sell in the
    $60 and $70 region. This does not say all $60+ power supplies
    are properly built. But those $20 and $30 supplies are always
    missing essential functions.

    Again, this is old, simple, basic, techical knowledge. If a
    computer assembler does not even know this, then his job is
    'prime ready' to be outsourced to Asia. Unfortunately too
    many computer 'experts' don't even know the essential
    functions that must be in a power supply - which is why Asian
    manufacturers have found a very lucritive market in N America
    for inferior but low priced power supplies.

    Demonstrate one essential function in power supplies: short
    together all the DC voltage outputs and power up. Power
    supply must not be damaged. Again this was even a defacto
    standard 30 years ago. Intel specs even say how big the wire
    must be to short all outputs together (please provide the AMD
    spec?). This simple test often destroys many unacceptable
    supplies routinely found in clone computers. Why? I would
    bet many computer assembler here have always assumed this test
    would destroy power supplies - only because they have seen a
    shorted power supply fail. IOW they never first learned basic
    electrical knowledge which is one reason why jobs end up in
    Asia. These same people would also recommend that computer
    from a 'mon & pop' store when the only spec used to select a
    supply was dollars.

    Again, a ballpark measure of any acceptable computer - does
    the manufacturer provide comprehensive diagnostics. Gateway
    does not. Those discount computer assembler stores do not.
    Diagnostics are a simple benchmark to find computers built on
    an engineering basis - not built using a bean counter
    mentality. Too many are so ill informed as to think every
    power supply sold to clone computer assemblers contains
    essential functions. Unfortunately too many don't even know
    what those essential functions are.

    BTW there is no relationship between watts and quality.
    Many naive computer assemblers assoicate more watts with more
    quality. Some of the worst quality power supply are the
    grossly oversized 500+ watt supplies. Higher quality supplies
    in brand name computers are on the order of 250 and 350 watts.

    But lets learn more. Ok Papa. What are the essential
    functions inside a power supply? Please demonstrate knowledge
    gleaned from those mom and pop computer stores. What are the
    essential functions that power supplies had even 30 years ago?

    Papa wrote:
    > I totally disagree on two counts.
    >
    > One, there is no such thing as a modern computer power supply that
    > lacks some "essential functions". Sure, some power supplies are
    > under powered (100 watts, for example) or are of poor quality, but
    > lacking essential functions?
    > No.
    >
    > Two, the people at every Mom and Pop computer store I have ever
    > visited possess far more technical knowledge than their
    > counterparts at the larger computer outlets - who are almost
    > always just clerks having little knowledge and - at most -
    > possessing only a script to answer customers questions.
    > Further, the Mom and Pop stores are flexible enough to give the
    > customer exactly what he wants, including component brand
    > selection and non-proprietary hardware. Guess who sells the low
    > quality, proprietary, difficult to upgrade systems to
    > unsuspecting customers? Ever heard of E-Machines, Packard Bell,
    > or Compaq? These brands do not come from Mom and Pop stores.
    >
    > And why the emphasis on Intel? Amd is another perfectly good option.
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Well, you have thrown around that term, "missing essential functions" a
    bunch of times. Yet you never say exactly what those functions are. Not too
    credible, to say the least. I really doubt if you even know.

    By the way, unless you love getting spam, you should not use your real email
    address in NG posts. That's the mark of a "newbie".
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    "w_tom" <w_tom1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > One major problem with that discount (mom and pop) store is
    > that their power supplies may be missing essential functions
    > that were defacto standard even 30 years ago. Those who
    > believe in free markets always buy the best. IOW buy power
    > supplies that meet Intel specifications. Those who would
    > protect the technically naive buy inferior products from
    > little computer store; whose people never even learned what
    > those essential power supply functions are.

    What unknown functions can be missing from a power supply
    if one reads the label. You sound like a person that wants to
    put forth no effort and wants someone else to do things for you.

    > But again. How to know that little computer store does not
    > provide a good product. Where are the comprehensive
    > diagnostics for the system? Not only is power supply missing
    > essential functions (that could destroy other computer
    > components), but the little computer store does not provide
    > comprehensive diagnostics. Just more reasons why the Dell
    > would be a better product.
    >
    > mouseyface wrote:
    > > The computer companies, Dell included, are hiring out
    > > tech support overseas putting techs here out of work. (If the
    > > companies here keep sending work overseas soon there will be no
    > > one here to buy anything since no one will be working and they
    > > will wonder why sells have dropped, eh.) When you call for
    > > support you may get a reading from a book and two techs will give
    > > you two different answers for the same problem (one may void your
    > > warranty, that's how bad it can be). There are horror stories
    > > at PC World and various other magazines and web sites about this.
    > > You may get someone whose English is so bad that you can't even
    > > understand them. It isn't what it used to be, that's why I build
    > > my own and have for years (it is easier to return one bad
    > > component).
    > >
    > > You may want to try a local computer store (mom and pop variety)
    > > since, lately, they have been getting better scores (PC World).
    > > Make sure that they have been in business for a good while and
    > > that they have a good standing with the BBB. Make sure you get
    > > everything in writing and what the length of the warranty and what
    > > the warranty contains. Make sure of their support. You can pick
    > > and choose your components this way - there on site and it is
    > > generally cheaper. Some will give you a discount if you are
    > > non-profit.
    > >
    > > My opinion only!
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
    > Well, you have thrown around that term, "missing essential
    functions" a
    > bunch of times. Yet you never say exactly what those functions are.
    Not too
    > credible, to say the least. I really doubt if you even know.
    >
    > By the way, unless you love getting spam, you should not use your
    real email
    > address in NG posts. That's the mark of a "newbie".

    These NG's are overran with know-it-all newbies with their proprietary
    boxen.
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Ain't that the truth! ;>)
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    You will note that I mentioned that YOU choose the components that you want
    in your computer. What part of that did you miss? That includes the power
    supply of your choice.

    http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/dellconverter.html . The large
    companies use proprietary components, try replacing a power supply and fry
    your board. If they have changed, I am unaware of it but then, I really
    don't care since I don't purchase them, eh. I do know that PC Power and
    Cooling lists Dell power supplies separately. You really need to do more
    research before you speak. http://www.hardwareguys.com/dellwarn.html
    http://www.pcpowerandcooling.com/products/power_supplies/selector/

    "w_tom" <w_tom1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > One major problem with that discount (mom and pop) store is
    > that their power supplies may be missing essential functions
    > that were defacto standard even 30 years ago. Those who
    > believe in free markets always buy the best. IOW buy power
    > supplies that meet Intel specifications. Those who would
    > protect the technically naive buy inferior products from
    > little computer store; whose people never even learned what
    > those essential power supply functions are.
    >
    > But again. How to know that little computer store does not
    > provide a good product. Where are the comprehensive
    > diagnostics for the system? Not only is power supply missing
    > essential functions (that could destroy other computer
    > components), but the little computer store does not provide
    > comprehensive diagnostics. Just more reasons why the Dell
    > would be a better product.
    >
    > mouseyface wrote:
    > > The computer companies, Dell included, are hiring out
    > > tech support overseas putting techs here out of work. (If the
    > > companies here keep sending work overseas soon there will be no
    > > one here to buy anything since no one will be working and they
    > > will wonder why sells have dropped, eh.) When you call for
    > > support you may get a reading from a book and two techs will give
    > > you two different answers for the same problem (one may void your
    > > warranty, that's how bad it can be). There are horror stories
    > > at PC World and various other magazines and web sites about this.
    > > You may get someone whose English is so bad that you can't even
    > > understand them. It isn't what it used to be, that's why I build
    > > my own and have for years (it is easier to return one bad
    > > component).
    > >
    > > You may want to try a local computer store (mom and pop variety)
    > > since, lately, they have been getting better scores (PC World).
    > > Make sure that they have been in business for a good while and
    > > that they have a good standing with the BBB. Make sure you get
    > > everything in writing and what the length of the warranty and what
    > > the warranty contains. Make sure of their support. You can pick
    > > and choose your components this way - there on site and it is
    > > generally cheaper. Some will give you a discount if you are
    > > non-profit.
    > >
    > > My opinion only!
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    why does the home page on my internet keep logging off to another page?
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    You have been hijacked. You need to improve your security.

    Turn your firewall ON, or better yet, download Zone Alarm
    free from www.zonelabs.com

    Get SpyBot Search & Destroy free from
    www.safer-networking.org
    Get Ad-Aware free from www.lavasoftusa.com

    There are other programs, such as a current anti-virus that
    are also essential. You can get AVG anti-virus free from
    www.grisoft.com if you don't have the money to buy right
    now.

    Do check for Windows Updates on a regular schedule (weekly
    is a good idea on all these programs because the viruses
    writers and hijackers are busy). While on the Windows
    Update page check the link for Internet Security 3 Steps.

    "beverly jackson" <bevjackson132@bellsouth.net> wrote in
    message
    | why does the home page on my internet keep logging off to
    another page?
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    What does that have to do with this thread, which is about new computers?
    Start your own thread, please.

    But as to your question, your homepage has been hijacked by spyware.
    Install, keep updated, and use an anti-spyware program such as AdAware.

    Also, you are inviting spam mail by the way you posted to this newsgroup.
    That is, by using your real email address.

    "beverly jackson" <bevjackson132@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > why does the home page on my internet keep logging off to another page?

Windows XP