concerns about Steam client running

After getting up and running on Steam,
I noticed that my LAN activity LED is constantly on -

I know that the online gaming modules are getting updated,
but I'm starting to feel concern about having a "client"
running on my laptop that is constantly downloading stuff.
I don't really know about the integrity of the client software modules,
and what else it might be doing running around on my laptop.

Sure there are other programs that do a "live update"
like Anti-virus sigs, and financial portfolio info, etc -
but they start, download, end -
It seems that Steam is constantly doing something
and never stops - my LAN activity LED is flickering constantly
until I stop and logout of Steam - hence, my concern -

Andrew

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 18:49:54 GMT, "Phil Schuman"
<pschuman_NO_SPAM_ME@interserv.com> wrote:

>It seems that Steam is constantly doing something
>and never stops - my LAN activity LED is flickering constantly
>until I stop and logout of Steam - hence, my concern -

Right click on your Steam icon and select Monitor. That will show you
what it is doing so you don't have to be so paranoid :)

Uzi

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2004

Phil Schuman <pschuman_NO_SPAM_ME@interserv.com> wrote in message
> After getting up and running on Steam,
> I noticed that my LAN activity LED is constantly on -
>
> I know that the online gaming modules are getting updated,
> but I'm starting to feel concern about having a "client"
> running on my laptop that is constantly downloading stuff.
> I don't really know about the integrity of the client software modules,
> and what else it might be doing running around on my laptop.
>
> Sure there are other programs that do a "live update"
> like Anti-virus sigs, and financial portfolio info, etc -
> but they start, download, end -
> It seems that Steam is constantly doing something
> and never stops - my LAN activity LED is flickering constantly
> until I stop and logout of Steam - hence, my concern -

Welcome to the wonderfully inadequate world of Steam.

Alternatively right click on the games you don't play and just click 'Do not
auto update this game' for each.

Uzi

Uzi wrote:
> Phil Schuman <pschuman_NO_SPAM_ME@interserv.com> wrote in message
>> After getting up and running on Steam,
>> I noticed that my LAN activity LED is constantly on -
>>
>> I know that the online gaming modules are getting updated,
>> but I'm starting to feel concern about having a "client"
>> running on my laptop that is constantly downloading stuff.
>> I don't really know about the integrity of the client software
>> modules, and what else it might be doing running around on my laptop.
>>
>> Sure there are other programs that do a "live update"
>> like Anti-virus sigs, and financial portfolio info, etc -
>> but they start, download, end -
>> It seems that Steam is constantly doing something
>> and never stops - my LAN activity LED is flickering constantly
>> until I stop and logout of Steam - hence, my concern -
>>

> Welcome to the wonderfully inadequate world of Steam.
>
> Alternatively right click on the games you don't play and just click
> 'Do not auto update this game' for each.

....and/or just exit Steam when you're not using it.

I've done a leak test on mine and it doesn't appear to communicate with the
internet unless it's updating or I'm playing / refreshing etc.