printer failure

Could someone please help me!!
I have tried to connect my Lexmark Color Ink Jet Printer
to my computer which is on Windows 98. I have plugged the
printer into the baacck of my CPU in the LPT1 port and the
driver is working but every time that I try to print the
computer tells me that the computer is not on the network
and that if I want to print something then I will have to
get my computer onto a network and I can't do this.
I didn't think that a home computer had to be on a network
only that it had to be configured for use at home.
So could someone please tell me how to set up my computer
for home use and how to get the computer to accept my
printer.
Thank you

dl

1) you might want to 'munge' yr email add.when posting, as yr now likely to
get inundated with spam as youve publically posted.
2) Try using a dedicated newsreader ie Outlook Express, makes life easier
3) This is a winxp ng, there are dedicated win* ng's
4) You may have set up yr printer as a network printer rather than as a
'std' printer;
Uninstall printer/software and install as per instructions.
Good luck