Abit BE6 and Windows XP?

Hi all,

I tried to install Windows XP on Abit BE6 board and had no luck so far. The
problem is HPT366 IDE controller. I had bios TH 1.25 - tried Win2K 1.25
drivers - system hangs when XP setup is trying to detect HDDs (have setup
blue screen saying "Windows is starting" and that's it). Flashed to TH
1.28 - tried drivers version 1.28 and 1.30 - still same problem.

Please help!

viperz (at) mail (dot) com

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

I've installed XP on a Highpoint 366 based controller using 1.30 XP drivers
on 1.25.1 bios with good results... I've got another one running 1.25.1
across the board...

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
over 130,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

"Eugen T" <viperz@nomorespam.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I tried to install Windows XP on Abit BE6 board and had no luck so far.
The
> problem is HPT366 IDE controller. I had bios TH 1.25 - tried Win2K 1.25
> drivers - system hangs when XP setup is trying to detect HDDs (have setup
> blue screen saying "Windows is starting" and that's it). Flashed to TH
> 1.28 - tried drivers version 1.28 and 1.30 - still same problem.
>
> Please help!
>
> viperz (at) mail (dot) com

How did you do that?
All I can do is install 98SE... It just hangs when I try to install XP or
2000.

"TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> wrote in message
> I've installed XP on a Highpoint 366 based controller using 1.30 XP
drivers
> on 1.25.1 bios with good results... I've got another one running 1.25.1
> across the board...
>
> --
>
> Thomas Geery
> Network+ certified
>
> ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
> ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror <----- Cable modem IP
> This IP is dynamic so it *could* change!...
> over 130,000 FTP users served!
> ^^^^^^^
>

> "Eugen T" <viperz@nomorespam.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I tried to install Windows XP on Abit BE6 board and had no luck so far.
> The
> > problem is HPT366 IDE controller. I had bios TH 1.25 - tried Win2K 1.25
> > drivers - system hangs when XP setup is trying to detect HDDs (have
setup
> > blue screen saying "Windows is starting" and that's it). Flashed to TH
> > 1.28 - tried drivers version 1.28 and 1.30 - still same problem.
> >
> > Please help!
> >
> > viperz (at) mail (dot) com

jk

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 21:51:34 -0400, "Eugen T" <viperz@nomorespam.com>
wrote:

>How did you do that?
>All I can do is install 98SE... It just hangs when I try to install XP or
>2000.

One prepare the drivers on a floppy and during installation when it
asks for scsi drivers, one press F6, and it will look on the floppy.

For some reasons windows calls all 'external controllers' for scsi
devices, although it is IDE here.

Then the question is to find the right HPT drivers. As you mention
hpt366:

http://fae.abit.com.tw/eng/download/driver/model/be6.php

The windows 2000 drivers will be fine for XP.

best regards

John

>"TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> wrote in message
>> I've installed XP on a Highpoint 366 based controller using 1.30 XP
>drivers
>> on 1.25.1 bios with good results... I've got another one running 1.25.1
>> across the board...
>>
>> --
>>
>> Thomas Geery
>> Network+ certified
>>
>> ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
>> ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror <----- Cable modem IP
>> This IP is dynamic so it *could* change!...
>> over 130,000 FTP users served!
>> ^^^^^^^
>>

>> "Eugen T" <viperz@nomorespam.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I tried to install Windows XP on Abit BE6 board and had no luck so far.
>> The
>> > problem is HPT366 IDE controller. I had bios TH 1.25 - tried Win2K 1.25
>> > drivers - system hangs when XP setup is trying to detect HDDs (have
>setup
>> > blue screen saying "Windows is starting" and that's it). Flashed to TH
>> > 1.28 - tried drivers version 1.28 and 1.30 - still same problem.
>> >
>> > Please help!
>> >
>> > viperz (at) mail (dot) com

Did that. Doesn't work. :(!

"JK" <junk@mail.dk> wrote in message
> On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 21:51:34 -0400, "Eugen T" <viperz@nomorespam.com>
> wrote:
>
> >How did you do that?
> >All I can do is install 98SE... It just hangs when I try to install XP or
> >2000.
> >

> One prepare the drivers on a floppy and during installation when it
> asks for scsi drivers, one press F6, and it will look on the floppy.
>
> For some reasons windows calls all 'external controllers' for scsi
> devices, although it is IDE here.
>
> Then the question is to find the right HPT drivers. As you mention
> hpt366:
>
> http://fae.abit.com.tw/eng/download/driver/model/be6.php
>
> The windows 2000 drivers will be fine for XP.
>
> best regards
>
> John
>

> >"TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> wrote in message
> >> I've installed XP on a Highpoint 366 based controller using 1.30 XP
> >drivers
> >> on 1.25.1 bios with good results... I've got another one running
1.25.1
> >> across the board...
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Thomas Geery
> >> Network+ certified
> >>
> >> ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
> >> ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror <----- Cable modem IP
> >> This IP is dynamic so it *could* change!...
> >> over 130,000 FTP users served!
> >> ^^^^^^^
> >>

> >> "Eugen T" <viperz@nomorespam.com> wrote in message

> >> The
> >setup
TH

jk

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 13:39:50 -0400, "Eugen T" <viperz@nomorespam.com>
wrote:

Well, some buy a promise pci ata133 controller, or a cheaper brand.
That works !

(well, I have one idea more. It asks for the floppy twice, right ? and
it destroys the floppys usability by first read. Then make 2 floppies.
I think I have seen that work. Write protection cannot work.)

best regards

John

>Did that. Doesn't work. :(!
>
>"JK" <junk@mail.dk> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 21:51:34 -0400, "Eugen T" <viperz@nomorespam.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >How did you do that?
>> >All I can do is install 98SE... It just hangs when I try to install XP or
>> >2000.
>> >

>> One prepare the drivers on a floppy and during installation when it
>> asks for scsi drivers, one press F6, and it will look on the floppy.
>>
>> For some reasons windows calls all 'external controllers' for scsi
>> devices, although it is IDE here.
>>
>> Then the question is to find the right HPT drivers. As you mention
>> hpt366:
>>
>> http://fae.abit.com.tw/eng/download/driver/model/be6.php
>>
>> The windows 2000 drivers will be fine for XP.
>>
>> best regards
>>
>> John
>>

>> >"TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> wrote in message
>> >drivers
>1.25.1

>far.
>1.25
>> >setup
>TH

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

sure, you can set the boot drive in the bios, no problem. however, what I
was referring to was that the bios, as it discovers the drives that are
attached, designates (or "enumerates") the drives with a hex notation that
the OS then uses to refer to the drives from the registry. in some cases,
when the position of the drive changes on the controllers, the enumeration
of the drive will change as well and then the OS looks for the boot device
with one designation but the device is now enumerated with a different
designation and the OS load stops with an error message.