Samsung DVD-ROM SD616F

I am having problems with above DVD-ROM - when I <eject> the tray opens and
then immediatley closes again - it does not stay open - anyone got any
ideas - I suspect a fault with the unit itself.

Windows XP SP1a - All updates installed
Clean sweeps with Ad-aware, Search & Destroy and Norton AV
Latest Firmware installed from the Samsung website
Driver removed and reinstalled.

--
HTH - Any Advice Appreciated - Please Reply To Newsgroup Only

jel183(UK)

Try some compressed air (canned air) to blow the switch area
clear. You're probably correct, some fault in the drive.
It is possible that you could have a virus that would do
this, perhaps just a "joke" loaded by a friend.

If you have another drive, you might replace the drive
temporarily to see if the problem continues. If it isn't
fixed then you know it is in the computer, if it is, it is
just the drive.

"jel183(UK)" <nospam@myhome.com> wrote in message
| I am having problems with above DVD-ROM - when I <eject>
the tray opens and
| then immediatley closes again - it does not stay open -
anyone got any
| ideas - I suspect a fault with the unit itself.
|
| Windows XP SP1a - All updates installed
| Clean sweeps with Ad-aware, Search & Destroy and Norton AV
| Latest Firmware installed from the Samsung website
| Driver removed and reinstalled.
|
| --
| HTH - Any Advice Appreciated - Please Reply To Newsgroup
Only

| jel183(UK)

Thanks for the reply - I will give your suggestions a try...