BH-5 Memory Timing

Hi,

I just got a set of 2 x 256 PC3200 BH-5 dual channel memory sticks. On my
NF7 rev. 2, they run perfect at 200 FSB with 2-2-2-5. However, I thought I
had read somewhere that NForce chipsets actually perform better with these
timings: 2-2-2-11.

1. Is this true?
2. If it is true, why?

Also, if I decide to add more memory, would I get better performance, dual
channel-wise with getting 2 x 512 MB sticks? Or can I add one 512MB stick
in DIMM3 and put the the two 256MB modules in DIMM1 and DIMM2? Thanks.

"Lankshire" wrote
> I just got a set of 2 x 256 PC3200 BH-5 dual channel memory sticks. On my
> NF7 rev. 2, they run perfect at 200 FSB with 2-2-2-5. However, I thought
> had read somewhere that NForce chipsets actually perform better with these
> timings: 2-2-2-11.

Hi,
yes I belive its true (in most nForce2 boards anyway). Try it and see.
It's just a small improvement, but every little helps (in benchmarks anyway
:p).

> Also, if I decide to add more memory, would I get better performance, dual
> channel-wise with getting 2 x 512 MB sticks? Or can I add one 512MB stick
> in DIMM3 and put the the two 256MB modules in DIMM1 and DIMM2? Thanks.

Yes if you have 512MB (2x256) then you can add in a single 512Mb stick and
still maintain dual-channel operation. In this case its best to have
similar memory or everything could go a bit *wobbly*. You may find it hard
to source a 512Mb BH-5 chip, but I'm sure you could get one second hand,
although it seems like people are trading up from 256MB sticks to 512Mb
sticks, so 512Mb sticks are in demand!
--
Wayne ][

Thanks,

Does anyone know why it's better to use "5" rather than"11" for Row Active
Delay on Nvidia boards?

"Wayne Youngman" <waynes.spamtrap@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Lankshire" wrote
> > I just got a set of 2 x 256 PC3200 BH-5 dual channel memory sticks. On
my
> > NF7 rev. 2, they run perfect at 200 FSB with 2-2-2-5. However, I
thought
> > had read somewhere that NForce chipsets actually perform better with
these
> > timings: 2-2-2-11.
>

> Hi,
> yes I belive its true (in most nForce2 boards anyway). Try it and see.
> It's just a small improvement, but every little helps (in benchmarks
anyway
> :p).
>

> > Also, if I decide to add more memory, would I get better performance,
dual
> > channel-wise with getting 2 x 512 MB sticks? Or can I add one 512MB
stick
> > in DIMM3 and put the the two 256MB modules in DIMM1 and DIMM2? Thanks.
>

> Yes if you have 512MB (2x256) then you can add in a single 512Mb stick and
> still maintain dual-channel operation. In this case its best to have
> similar memory or everything could go a bit *wobbly*. You may find it
hard
> to source a 512Mb BH-5 chip, but I'm sure you could get one second hand,
> although it seems like people are trading up from 256MB sticks to 512Mb
> sticks, so 512Mb sticks are in demand!
> --
> Wayne ][

Something like that is usually some side effect between (1) pipelining
memory fetches in the memory controller and (2) how a memory "burst"
ends. Much too difficult of a subject to describe here.

You might look through some of these documents if you desire more
information.

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=%22memory+burst%22+pipelining+effects+delay&ei=UTF-8&fr=fp-tab-web-t&n=20&fl=0&x=wrt

Bottom line, if it helps your benchmarks - do it.

Forrest

Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
http://home.comcast.net/~hal-9000/

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 21:27:50 -0400, "Lankshire" <bg281@scn.org> wrote:

>Thanks,
>
>Does anyone know why it's better to use "5" rather than"11" for Row Active
>Delay on Nvidia boards?

I've benched my bh5 (2X256mb on an nForce2, Ultra 400 board), using SiSoft
Sandra memory test, and found "ever-so-slightly" higher scores (a sweet spot
so to speak) with that timing set at 11 rather than 5, 6, and so on. I
currently have it set at 2-2-2-11, and 209 mHz (418 in dual channel).

Some folks have found 10 to be their "bh-5 sweet spot" ... so download a
(free) copy of Sandra (or whatever) and run a ton of tests yourself, on your
system. And remember to run the test at least 4 times ... although I have
found the 3rd test-run to produce the highest scores (albeit small
improvements).

Sometimes ya just gotta run the tests yourself ... good hunting!