KT7A - Abit replaced my out of warranty board for free.

xyz

My board developed leaking capacitors and Abit replaced it for free. The
board was out of warranty plus I didn't have the receipt either.

The online RMA form was a little confusing, it wanted purchase date but
seemed to indicate not to make one up if you don't know. Well, if you leave
it blank it won't continue so I ended up calling the RMA phone number and
that's how I found out they would replace it for free. They said just
estimate purchase date, I think they really go by the serial number of the
mobo anyway.

When you fill out the form indicating an out of warranty board, you are
charged a $25 repair fee, payable with Paypal. I had to call the number
again to get them to delete the $25 fee, I wanted to speed it up.

I chose to do a cross shipment, which had a $7 charge plus $150 refundable
deposit. So, it cost me $7 but that was my choice to speed things up. The
replacement was sent out the same day I paid. The refund of the deposit is
handled with a check from Abit, that took a couple of weeks to get back.

If your board is already dead, you might just send your board back 2nd day
air and apply the $7 to that rather than doing a cross shipment. You'd
probably only be without the board for 2 or 3 more days and wouldn't have to
deal with the deposit.

From what I could gather, getting any out of warranty board repaired would
only cost $25, I saw no mention of any additional charges. I guess I should
say replaced, rather than repaired.

BGC

>From what I could gather, getting any out of warranty board repaired would
>only cost $25, I saw no mention of any additional charges. I guess I should
>say replaced, rather than repaired.

Replaced with another repaired board :)

-GV

xyz

Yes, of course repaired, even if they still manufactured this model you
wouldn't get a new one in a warranty exchange. This one could develop bad
caps as well, anything is possible. But if this one lasts as long as the
other one did, it will be well past it's useful life. And you can't beat
free with a stick.

BGC