Does ABIT have plans to make motherboards that can handle ..

We've noticed that Plextor is coming out with an SATA DVD drive. If we
needed the two SATA connectors for two hard drives, we'd have no connectors
for the Plextor SATA DVD drive.

Does ABIT have plans to make motherboards that can handle more than two SATA
devices?

"New Question" said in news:chmkc.24687$7a5.5073@bignews6.bellsouth.net:
> We've noticed that Plextor is coming out with an SATA DVD drive. If
> we needed the two SATA connectors for two hard drives, we'd have no
> connectors for the Plextor SATA DVD drive.
>
> Does ABIT have plans to make motherboards that can handle more than
> two SATA devices?

You would add a SATA controller card, just like you would add an IDE
controller card if and when you run out of IDE slots on the motherboard.
If SiliconGraphics or some other chip maker comes out with a controller
chip that supports more than 2 SATA drives then Abit will probably offer
it, of course, at an additional cost that is exponential to the added
number of drives. Many motherboards offer SCSI support but if you want
features like caching, melding a non-stripped drive into a RAID set
without losing its current contents, and other advanced features then
you install a SCSI host adapter card. SCSI and SATA add-on integral on
motherboards are at the low end of the scale for those technologies (but
some of the entry-level expansions cards for those functions aren't
much, if any, better).

*** Email: domain = ".com" and append "=news=" to Subject.

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 02:26:20 -0400, "New Question" <nq@nq.com> wrote:

>We've noticed that Plextor is coming out with an SATA DVD drive. If we
>needed the two SATA connectors for two hard drives, we'd have no connectors
>for the Plextor SATA DVD drive.
>
>Does ABIT have plans to make motherboards that can handle more than two SATA
>devices?

The IC7-G handles 4, if I recall correctly
2 SATA via ICH5R with Raid0/1 if desired
2 SATA via the Si controller with Raid 0/1 if desired.

John Lewis

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

an example of a board with something like 6 or 8 SATA controller channels
would be the IC7 MAX3... I believe it has the two on the Intel ICH5R
controller and then 3 additional pairs (I think...) on the SI controller?
if not 3 additional pairs, I know it has two pairs...

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
over 130,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

"New Question" <nq@nq.com> wrote in message
> We've noticed that Plextor is coming out with an SATA DVD drive. If we
> needed the two SATA connectors for two hard drives, we'd have no
connectors
> for the Plextor SATA DVD drive.
>
> Does ABIT have plans to make motherboards that can handle more than two
SATA
> devices?

life

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 02:26:20 -0400, "New Question" <nq@nq.com> wrote:

>We've noticed that Plextor is coming out with an SATA DVD drive. If we
>needed the two SATA connectors for two hard drives, we'd have no connectors
>for the Plextor SATA DVD drive.
>
>Does ABIT have plans to make motherboards that can handle more than two SATA
>devices?

Why do you even bother with SATA DVD Drives? Is it going to be any
faster? Stick to Regular PATA.

LiFE