QMS Magicolor 2 - Fuser Replacement or repair

Tags:
  • Printers
  • Magicolor
  • Peripherals
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
April 5, 2004 1:24:03 AM

Hi,

We have a Minolta / QMS Magicolor 2 colour laser. Following a
nasty paper jam, we have a damaged roller in the fuser unit.
The fuser was working fine before the jam, now the roller has
a chunk missing and marks in the print out.

We have a few ideas, but have a few questions:

Idea #1: Buy a 3rd party toner from KLE in the US, and just
replace the fuser. Their unit is $300 US. But we
don't know if the fuser is different for 120 or
240 volts (we're in the UK, line voltage is 240v
or thereabouts).

Idea #2: Buy replacement rollers or a genuine fuser unit from
QMS, but our local QMS agent couldn't be LESS helpful.
We don't know where to check part numbers to order
from, so we don't know if these parts are available
or how much they are (& we're expecting a QMS fuser
to be very expensive).

Idea #3: Swap the rollers so the damaged one is on the rear
of the paper. Or, get a used fuser, or scrap printer
and try to swap a roller from it.

Any advice would be appreciated...

thanks,

Jessica.

More about : qms magicolor fuser replacement repair

Anonymous
April 5, 2004 11:51:10 AM

I'd go for the first option since it would be less expensive because it's
probably a refurb unit.

Second option is more reliable but expensive.

Third one (replacing the roller itself) is not realy an option since I doubt
you'll be able to allign the rollers and guides just right to avoid
wrinkeling and other nasty problems. You might be able to get your hands on
a second hand unit but there are a lot of used up units out there.

Fourth option you may want to considder depending the overall state of the
printer: Replace the printer for a new one depending on the repair costs
versus replacement costs.

partnumber for a 240V unit is 825126422 (duplex model and non duplex model)
or 825126127 (older non duplex model)
partnumber for a 110V unit is 825126126

Greetz
Jeff

"Jessica" <jessica@nospam-deferre.org.uk> schreef in bericht

> Hi,
>
> We have a Minolta / QMS Magicolor 2 colour laser. Following a
> nasty paper jam, we have a damaged roller in the fuser unit.
> The fuser was working fine before the jam, now the roller has
> a chunk missing and marks in the print out.
>
> We have a few ideas, but have a few questions:
>
> Idea #1: Buy a 3rd party toner from KLE in the US, and just
> replace the fuser. Their unit is $300 US. But we
> don't know if the fuser is different for 120 or
> 240 volts (we're in the UK, line voltage is 240v
> or thereabouts).
>
> Idea #2: Buy replacement rollers or a genuine fuser unit from
> QMS, but our local QMS agent couldn't be LESS helpful.
> We don't know where to check part numbers to order
> from, so we don't know if these parts are available
> or how much they are (& we're expecting a QMS fuser
> to be very expensive).
>
> Idea #3: Swap the rollers so the damaged one is on the rear
> of the paper. Or, get a used fuser, or scrap printer
> and try to swap a roller from it.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated...
>
> thanks,
>
> Jessica.

April 5, 2004 1:52:42 PM

> I'd go for the first option since it would be less expensive because it's
> probably a refurb unit.
> partnumber for a 240V unit is 825126422 (duplex model and non duplex
model)
> or 825126127 (older non duplex model)
> partnumber for a 110V unit is 825126126

Thanks for the advice Jeff. How do I know whether my printer is
the older or newer model? Its not duplex, so could be either? The
back panel says 1997.

Jessica.
April 5, 2004 10:25:37 PM

Both fusers will fit your printer.
I even believe the non duplex fusers are harder to get because qms has used
the duplex fusers for both the duplex and non duplex models when they
started with the duplex models.

> > I'd go for the first option since it would be less expensive because
it's
> > probably a refurb unit.
> > partnumber for a 240V unit is 825126422 (duplex model and non duplex
> model)
> > or 825126127 (older non duplex model)
> > partnumber for a 110V unit is 825126126
>
> Thanks for the advice Jeff. How do I know whether my printer is
> the older or newer model? Its not duplex, so could be either? The
> back panel says 1997.
>

> Jessica.

April 6, 2004 2:12:34 AM

Thanks again Jeff, one last question... well probably the last
question. Are fuser's and OPCs transferable between the
Magicolor 2 and Magicolor 2 Desk Laser?? I have a chance
to buy a working but low spec. Magicolor 2 Desk Laser
which I could use for bits to make one good printer...

Thanks!

Jessica.
Anonymous
April 6, 2004 4:27:48 AM

all parts and consumables for the magicolor2, magicolor2Desklaser,
magicolor2+ and magicolor2+duplex are identical.
The only real differences are the controllerboards and a few
electrical/mechanical adjustments for the duplex unit.

news:o --dnRy7EtQPV-zdRVn-gw@brightview.com...

> Thanks again Jeff, one last question... well probably the last
> question. Are fuser's and OPCs transferable between the
> Magicolor 2 and Magicolor 2 Desk Laser?? I have a chance
> to buy a working but low spec. Magicolor 2 Desk Laser
> which I could use for bits to make one good printer...
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jessica.

April 6, 2004 7:07:43 PM

Jeff (dude who seems to be able to answer all my QMS questions) wrote:

> all parts and consumables for the magicolor2, magicolor2Desklaser,
> magicolor2+ and magicolor2+duplex are identical.
> The only real differences are the controllerboards and a few
> electrical/mechanical adjustments for the duplex unit.

Great, thanks. This seems like the best plan - to buy a second hand
MC2 Desk Laser (which seem significantly cheaper than another
MC printer) and strip it for consumables.

Thanks,

Jessica.
May 10, 2011 2:18:01 AM

Hi,

I have the same problem with my 2300DL and I'm investigating prices and saw a fuser unit 220VAC at amazon.com...might be good for you. I'm in the USA and voltage is 120 VAC so the unit is not good for me. Price is $175 which is about 1/2 what you say it would cost you.

Good luck
!