I have the P4 P800S m.b and just wondering if someone of mb knowledge could
tell me something about the IDE Configuration function? When I clik on it, it
gives me a Enhanced ( for XP and etc. ) or Compatibilty for Win 95,98. How does
that work? I have 2 OS on one hd in different partitions. One is win98se and
the other is XP Home. I have 3 hd's and 1 cd rom in my system.The latter two
are master and slave. That is the hd that has both OS'.s. The other 2 are just
data files..and yet I made one master and the other slave. Is that okay, or
should I make both of them slaves too? Here is the rub. When i set the ide
config to compatibility * for win98 use, the drive that has the 2 os's does
not get detected, just the 2 data drives and yet I can't boot them because they
don't have os. When I change the ide to enhanced then all is well. I see all of
them. What purpose is that ide config for? I was under the assumption that it
would change to one or the other automatically , but apparently its doesn't.

shawk

"Harri85274" <harri85274@aol.com> wrote in message
> I have the P4 P800S m.b and just wondering if someone of mb knowledge
could
> tell me something about the IDE Configuration function? When I clik on it,
it
> gives me a Enhanced ( for XP and etc. ) or Compatibilty for Win 95,98. How
does
> that work? I have 2 OS on one hd in different partitions. One is win98se
and
> the other is XP Home. I have 3 hd's and 1 cd rom in my system.The latter
two
> are master and slave. That is the hd that has both OS'.s. The other 2 are
just
> data files..and yet I made one master and the other slave. Is that okay,
or
> should I make both of them slaves too? Here is the rub. When i set the ide
> config to compatibility * for win98 use, the drive that has the 2 os's
does
> not get detected, just the 2 data drives and yet I can't boot them because
they
> don't have os. When I change the ide to enhanced then all is well. I see
all of
> them. What purpose is that ide config for? I was under the assumption that
it
> would change to one or the other automatically , but apparently its
doesn't.

Sorry - I dont know the answer but there is an Asus group if no-one in here
can help.

alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

HTH, Shaun