Using the 3 memory sticks on an NF7-S

wookie

Hello,

I have an ABIT NF7-S Rev 2.0. I have two sticks of OCZ PC3500 EL dual
channel in slots 2&3. I want to get an additional 512 MB of RAM. I've been
advised that I should get as close as the same memory as my other sticks.
So I was going to get a 512 MB stick of OCZ PC3500 EL and put that in slot 3
and the 2x256 in slot 1&2.

I was also advised that it is not recommened to use 3 DIMMs on the NF7-S as
the memory controller is less stable and that if I wanted 1024 Mb then I
should sell my 2x256 sticks and get 2x512 Mb. They recommended that I get
2x512 of OCZ PC3200 EL.

Has anybody actually used 3 Dimms on the NF7-S? OCZ memory in particular.

I am running at an internal clock of 210 and multiplier of 11 = 2315 Mhz and
a system bus of 418 Mhz. I use stock memory voltage of 2.6 V.

Thanks

I use all 3 slots for a total of 1GB. Prime95 stable, and memtest
stable. Not using that ram though.
Yes, if you plan to O/C then it is wise to get 2x512 instead of 3
sticks for a total of 1GB. It has to do with timing issues. BUT,
don't think it can't be done, I know a few people that have no
problems, and another friend had issues. He ended up getting 2x512
instead.

On Sat, 01 May 2004 18:39:28 GMT, "Wookie" <Tom@comcast.net> wrote:

>Hello,
>
> I have an ABIT NF7-S Rev 2.0. I have two sticks of OCZ PC3500 EL dual
>channel in slots 2&3. I want to get an additional 512 MB of RAM. I've been
>advised that I should get as close as the same memory as my other sticks.
>So I was going to get a 512 MB stick of OCZ PC3500 EL and put that in slot 3
>and the 2x256 in slot 1&2.
>
>I was also advised that it is not recommened to use 3 DIMMs on the NF7-S as
>the memory controller is less stable and that if I wanted 1024 Mb then I
>should sell my 2x256 sticks and get 2x512 Mb. They recommended that I get
>2x512 of OCZ PC3200 EL.
>
>Has anybody actually used 3 Dimms on the NF7-S? OCZ memory in particular.
>
>I am running at an internal clock of 210 and multiplier of 11 = 2315 Mhz and
>a system bus of 418 Mhz. I use stock memory voltage of 2.6 V.
>
>Thanks

i can only tell you that i had installed 2x DDR400 (2x 512), runing at Auto 333 FSB and added a stick of 512 333DDR and i had lockups

--
F r e e
"Wookie" <Tom@comcast.net> escribió en el mensaje news:A9Skc.9321$I%1.796767@attbi_s51...
> Hello,
>
> I have an ABIT NF7-S Rev 2.0. I have two sticks of OCZ PC3500 EL dual
> channel in slots 2&3. I want to get an additional 512 MB of RAM. I've been
> advised that I should get as close as the same memory as my other sticks.
> So I was going to get a 512 MB stick of OCZ PC3500 EL and put that in slot 3
> and the 2x256 in slot 1&2.
>
> I was also advised that it is not recommened to use 3 DIMMs on the NF7-S as
> the memory controller is less stable and that if I wanted 1024 Mb then I
> should sell my 2x256 sticks and get 2x512 Mb. They recommended that I get
> 2x512 of OCZ PC3200 EL.
>
> Has anybody actually used 3 Dimms on the NF7-S? OCZ memory in particular.
>
> I am running at an internal clock of 210 and multiplier of 11 = 2315 Mhz and
> a system bus of 418 Mhz. I use stock memory voltage of 2.6 V.
>
> Thanks

wookie

Thanks ... I think I might try getting a 512 stick of PC3500 EL first and
see how that pans out and run with 2x256 + 512. I could be one of the lucky
ones.

"F.N" <NOSPAM@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I use all 3 slots for a total of 1GB. Prime95 stable, and memtest
> stable. Not using that ram though.
> Yes, if you plan to O/C then it is wise to get 2x512 instead of 3
> sticks for a total of 1GB. It has to do with timing issues. BUT,
> don't think it can't be done, I know a few people that have no
> problems, and another friend had issues. He ended up getting 2x512
> instead.
>
> On Sat, 01 May 2004 18:39:28 GMT, "Wookie" <Tom@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> > I have an ABIT NF7-S Rev 2.0. I have two sticks of OCZ PC3500 EL dual
> >channel in slots 2&3. I want to get an additional 512 MB of RAM. I've
been
> >advised that I should get as close as the same memory as my other sticks.
> >So I was going to get a 512 MB stick of OCZ PC3500 EL and put that in
slot 3
> >and the 2x256 in slot 1&2.
> >
> >I was also advised that it is not recommened to use 3 DIMMs on the NF7-S
as
> >the memory controller is less stable and that if I wanted 1024 Mb then I
> >should sell my 2x256 sticks and get 2x512 Mb. They recommended that I
get
> >2x512 of OCZ PC3200 EL.
> >
> >Has anybody actually used 3 Dimms on the NF7-S? OCZ memory in particular.
> >
> >I am running at an internal clock of 210 and multiplier of 11 = 2315 Mhz
and
> >a system bus of 418 Mhz. I use stock memory voltage of 2.6 V.
> >
> >Thanks

Slug

On Sun, 02 May 2004 03:21:35 GMT, "Wookie" <Tom@comcast.net> wrote:

>Thanks ... I think I might try getting a 512 stick of PC3500 EL first and
>see how that pans out and run with 2x256 + 512. I could be one of the lucky
>ones.

If you do that you will lose the dual channel mode. I would just sell
the ram and take the loss and get 2x512.

wookie

I thought you could run in dual channel with slots 1&2 (2x256) and slot 3
with 512.

On Sun, 02 May 2004 19:36:22 GMT, "Wookie" <Tom@comcast.net> wrote:

>I thought you could run in dual channel with slots 1&2 (2x256) and slot 3
>with 512.

News to me if that is true. My IC7 mb says to use dual channel mode
you must populate 1+3 or 2+4, if you want to use all the slots in
dual channel mode then the same type of ram must be in 1+3 and 2+4. If
you populate three slots then it will no longer be dual channel mode.

Your wrong. I got dual channel with the 2x 256 in slot 1&2, and the
512 in slot 3. Like I posted, works fine, and IS dual channel.

On Sun, 02 May 2004 09:49:49 -0700, Slug <slug@no_email.here> wrote:

>On Sun, 02 May 2004 03:21:35 GMT, "Wookie" <Tom@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>Thanks ... I think I might try getting a 512 stick of PC3500 EL first and
>>see how that pans out and run with 2x256 + 512. I could be one of the lucky
>>ones.
>
>If you do that you will lose the dual channel mode. I would just sell
>the ram and take the loss and get 2x512.

Correct. Slug don't know what they are talking about.

On Sun, 02 May 2004 23:37:20 -0400, F.N <NOSPAM@nospam.com> wrote:

>Your wrong. I got dual channel with the 2x 256 in slot 1&2, and the
>512 in slot 3. Like I posted, works fine, and IS dual channel.

No, Abit must be wrong then, or there is something different about the
NF7 that allwos this, because I took that info directly from the IC7
manual. How can three sticks be dual mode? Dual means two. Anyway,
dual channel makes little difference on the AMD platform compared to
Intel dual channel mode so it doesn't really matter. So your boot up
screen actually says running in dual channel mode? You may be right on
this but it doesn't make sense that running three sticks of ram equals
dual channel mode. And I don't like your tone dillweed.

Slug

On Sun, 02 May 2004 23:37:20 -0400, F.N <NOSPAM@nospam.com> wrote:

>Your wrong. I got dual channel with the 2x 256 in slot 1&2, and the
>512 in slot 3. Like I posted, works fine, and IS dual channel.

Ah, just looked it up and found this. Three sticks working in dual
channel mode is something that only works on the Nforce chipset mb's.
But as I said before, dual channel on that chipset means little
compared to how it performs on Intel mb's with dual channel. Ok, I was
wrong if talking about Nforce but not i865/875. Sorry for the
confusion. Still, it's kind of weird that they call it dual channel
mode and yet you can populate three slots.

http://www.talkroot.com/archive/topic/1785-1.html
Yes. The NForce boards work that way, either two or three sticks will
work
in dual channel mode.

The Intel boards, 865 and 875 chipsets, require either two or four
sticks
for dual channel, and will not work in dual channel with three.

| On Sun, 02 May 2004 23:37:20 -0400, F.N <NOSPAM@nospam.com> wrote:
|
| No, Abit must be wrong then, or there is something different about the
| NF7 that allwos this, because I took that info directly from the IC7
| manual. How can three sticks be dual mode? Dual means two. Anyway,
| dual channel makes little difference on the AMD platform compared to
| Intel dual channel mode so it doesn't really matter. So your boot up
| screen actually says running in dual channel mode? You may be right on
| this but it doesn't make sense that running three sticks of ram equals
| dual channel mode. And I don't like your tone dillweed.

Hi Slug -

The NF7 boards are different than the IC7.

The NF7's have three DIMM slots, each supporting two banks of memory.

Slot 3 is bank 0 and 1, reflecting one Channel.

Slots 2 and 1 are banks 2, 3, 4 and 5, reflecting the second Channel.

To achieve dual channel using all three slots it's recommended that matching
amounts/types of memory be installed in Slot 3 and Slots 2/1 (for example
512mb in Slot 3 and 256mb in each of Slots 2 and 1).

I think I'll go scrape off my shoe now... hopefully I haven't stepped into
something too messy. ;-)

Jef

LOL, learn to read, NF7, NOT IC7. As for my tone, well, you posted
incorrect info, not I. And dillweed is a good spice! :p