AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to write to an illegal IO po..

Jim

A Windows XP machine with SP2 is crashing.

The system log error is: 'AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting
to write to an illegal IO port address (0x74), which lies
in the 0x74 - 0x76 protected address range'. See below
for a chronological list of the system log.

What needs to be done to fix this problem?

The Remote Access Connection Manager service was
successfully sent a start control.

The Remote Access Connection Manager service entered the
running state.

The server {E0B8F398-BB08-4298-87F0-34502693902E} did not
register with DCOM within the required timeout.

The browser was unable to promote itself to master
browser. The computer that currently believes it is the
master browser is SPXP.

The browser was unable to promote itself to master
browser. The computer that currently believes it is the
master browser is SPXP.

The browser was unable to promote itself to master
browser. The computer that currently believes it is the
master browser is SPXP.

The browser was unable to promote itself to master
browser. The computer that currently believes it is the
master browser is WINCE01.

AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to write to an illegal IO
port address (0x74), which lies in the 0x74 - 0x76
protected address range. This could lead to system
instability. Please contact your system vendor for
technical assistance.

AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal IO
port address (0x75), which lies in the 0x74 - 0x76
protected address range. This could lead to system
instability. Please contact your system vendor for
technical assistance.

You need to update your bios.

"Jim" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> A Windows XP machine with SP2 is crashing.
>
> The system log error is: 'AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting
> to write to an illegal IO port address (0x74), which lies
> in the 0x74 - 0x76 protected address range'. See below
> for a chronological list of the system log.
>
> What needs to be done to fix this problem?

> 1
>
> The Remote Access Connection Manager service was
> successfully sent a start control.

> 2
>
> The Remote Access Connection Manager service entered the
> running state.

> 3
>
> The server {E0B8F398-BB08-4298-87F0-34502693902E} did not
> register with DCOM within the required timeout.

> 4
>
> The browser was unable to promote itself to master
> browser. The computer that currently believes it is the
> master browser is SPXP.

> The browser was unable to promote itself to master
> browser. The computer that currently believes it is the
> master browser is SPXP.

> The browser was unable to promote itself to master
> browser. The computer that currently believes it is the
> master browser is SPXP.

> 5
>
> The browser was unable to promote itself to master
> browser. The computer that currently believes it is the
> master browser is WINCE01.

> 6
>
> AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to write to an illegal IO
> port address (0x74), which lies in the 0x74 - 0x76
> protected address range. This could lead to system
> instability. Please contact your system vendor for
> technical assistance.

> 7
>
> AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal IO
> port address (0x75), which lies in the 0x74 - 0x76
> protected address range. This could lead to system
> instability. Please contact your system vendor for
> technical assistance.

SP2 is still in beta tests and is not supported here.

"Jim" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> A Windows XP machine with SP2 is crashing.
>
> The system log error is: 'AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting
> to write to an illegal IO port address (0x74), which lies
> in the 0x74 - 0x76 protected address range'. See below
> for a chronological list of the system log.
>
> What needs to be done to fix this problem?

> 1
>
> The Remote Access Connection Manager service was
> successfully sent a start control.

> 2
>
> The Remote Access Connection Manager service entered the
> running state.

> 3
>
> The server {E0B8F398-BB08-4298-87F0-34502693902E} did not
> register with DCOM within the required timeout.

> 4
>
> The browser was unable to promote itself to master
> browser. The computer that currently believes it is the
> master browser is SPXP.

> The browser was unable to promote itself to master
> browser. The computer that currently believes it is the
> master browser is SPXP.

> The browser was unable to promote itself to master
> browser. The computer that currently believes it is the
> master browser is SPXP.

> 5
>
> The browser was unable to promote itself to master
> browser. The computer that currently believes it is the
> master browser is WINCE01.

> 6
>
> AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to write to an illegal IO
> port address (0x74), which lies in the 0x74 - 0x76
> protected address range. This could lead to system
> instability. Please contact your system vendor for
> technical assistance.

> 7
>
> AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal IO
> port address (0x75), which lies in the 0x74 - 0x76
> protected address range. This could lead to system
> instability. Please contact your system vendor for
> technical assistance.

I doubt it is an SP2 issue (unless they got more restrictive on what IO port
addresses to not allow these write events).

Take a look at these two sites.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q283649
http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/tech/onnow/BIOSAML.asp

Then goto your motherboard manufacturer's website and get the latest bios
and see if it resolves this problem. If it doesn't, contact your
motherboard manufacturer and ask them to resolve this issue, citing the two
links above.

Most current motherboards, if they haven't had the issue resolved already,
have fixes forthcoming in a future bios upgrade.

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -