Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Error beep with Abit KT7a RAID motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 1, 2004 5:34:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

I am unbale to boot up my recent PC build. Here is the specification:-

AMD Athlon 1.6Ghz.
Abit KT7a RAID motherboard, RAID not used.
In IDE 1 two hard drives one 30G the other 12G
In IDE 2 NEC CD/DVD-ROM drive
Floppy drive.
Gainward 128MB DDR FX5600 AGP graphics card.
1G of PC 133 RAM.

The PC when booted up, starts the sequence, the power LED on the case
comes on, the fans start on the CPU, bridge, and AGP card.

A couple of seconds later the motherboard speaker emits a continuous
tone, and four distinct beeps.

The PC then shuts down.

I have tried removing various devices all have no effect. I have
reseated all the boards, and memory, and have changed the CPU heatsink
and fan. All had no effect.

The BIOS on the motherboard is Award.

Reading other messages it seems the fan speed detection might be an
issue, but how can I disable this function when the machine will not
boot up to allow me access to the BIOS. If I reset the BIOS using the
board jumper will this disable or enable the fan speed detection?

Please can anyone advise if I am heading in the right direction, and
any other solutions I should try.

Thank you.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 2, 2004 1:05:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

On Sat, 01 May 2004 13:34:34 -0700, TJ Jones wrote:

> I am unbale to boot up my recent PC build. Here is the specification:-
>
> AMD Athlon 1.6Ghz.
> Abit KT7a RAID motherboard, RAID not used.
> In IDE 1 two hard drives one 30G the other 12G
> In IDE 2 NEC CD/DVD-ROM drive
> Floppy drive.
> Gainward 128MB DDR FX5600 AGP graphics card.
> 1G of PC 133 RAM.
>
> The PC when booted up, starts the sequence, the power LED on the case
> comes on, the fans start on the CPU, bridge, and AGP card.
>
> A couple of seconds later the motherboard speaker emits a continuous
> tone, and four distinct beeps.
>
> The PC then shuts down.
>
Strip it to bare minimum. And see if it will boot. Try with older video
card, as the earlier bios had some proms with nvidia cards.
This might help, but I'm not sure.
http://www.amptron.com/html/bios.beepcodes.html

> Reading other messages it seems the fan speed detection might be an
> issue, but how can I disable this function when the machine will not
> boot up to allow me access to the BIOS. If I reset the BIOS using the
> board jumper will this disable or enable the fan speed detection?
>
I think this depends on the version of the bios.

> Please can anyone advise if I am heading in the right direction, and any
> other solutions I should try.
>
Might also try holding the insert key during boot, clear cmos, and maybe
hit reset if it doesn't boot.

--
Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 2, 2004 1:33:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

What CPU cooler do you have? Do you know what the rated rpm is for the
cooler fan. I put a "quite" cooler on a KT7ARaid and it would not boot up.
I took my noisy cooler with a faster fan speed and plugged it into the CPU
header to get the computer to POST and entered the BIOS and turned off the
fan monitor. (I left the quite cooler installed and plugged its fan into
another header) Either my "quite" cooler did not spin up fast enough for
the BIOS or its speed was just too slow.

"TJ Jones" <tjjones@sunnyhilltop.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
news:24d8ed88.0405011234.36c73da6@posting.google.com...
> I am unbale to boot up my recent PC build. Here is the specification:-
>
> AMD Athlon 1.6Ghz.
> Abit KT7a RAID motherboard, RAID not used.
> In IDE 1 two hard drives one 30G the other 12G
> In IDE 2 NEC CD/DVD-ROM drive
> Floppy drive.
> Gainward 128MB DDR FX5600 AGP graphics card.
> 1G of PC 133 RAM.
>
> The PC when booted up, starts the sequence, the power LED on the case
> comes on, the fans start on the CPU, bridge, and AGP card.
>
> A couple of seconds later the motherboard speaker emits a continuous
> tone, and four distinct beeps.
>
> The PC then shuts down.
>
> I have tried removing various devices all have no effect. I have
> reseated all the boards, and memory, and have changed the CPU heatsink
> and fan. All had no effect.
>
> The BIOS on the motherboard is Award.
>
> Reading other messages it seems the fan speed detection might be an
> issue, but how can I disable this function when the machine will not
> boot up to allow me access to the BIOS. If I reset the BIOS using the
> board jumper will this disable or enable the fan speed detection?
>
> Please can anyone advise if I am heading in the right direction, and
> any other solutions I should try.
>
> Thank you.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 2, 2004 5:22:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

On Sat, 1 May 2004 21:33:09 -0400, "R Hallman" <rehallman@nospam.com>
wrote:

>What CPU cooler do you have? Do you know what the rated rpm is for the
>cooler fan. I put a "quite" cooler on a KT7ARaid and it would not boot up.
>I took my noisy cooler with a faster fan speed and plugged it into the CPU
>header to get the computer to POST and entered the BIOS and turned off the
>fan monitor. (I left the quite cooler installed and plugged its fan into
>another header) Either my "quite" cooler did not spin up fast enough for
>the BIOS or its speed was just too slow.
>

Once you've disabled the BIOS fan alert, you can reconnect the slower
"quiet" cooler to the CPU fan header again. That will enable you to
read it with a hardware monitor in Windows, which may also allow you
to set a lower alarm level there.

The only problem comes if you have to reset your BIOS and the defaults
have the fan alert on (all of the mobos I've had have had it off by
default), in which case (!) you'll just need to connect a faster fan
while you go into BIOS and disable the alert.


>"TJ Jones" <tjjones@sunnyhilltop.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
>news:24d8ed88.0405011234.36c73da6@posting.google.com...
>> I am unbale to boot up my recent PC build. Here is the specification:-
>>
>> AMD Athlon 1.6Ghz.
>> Abit KT7a RAID motherboard, RAID not used.
>> In IDE 1 two hard drives one 30G the other 12G
>> In IDE 2 NEC CD/DVD-ROM drive
>> Floppy drive.
>> Gainward 128MB DDR FX5600 AGP graphics card.
>> 1G of PC 133 RAM.
>>
>> The PC when booted up, starts the sequence, the power LED on the case
>> comes on, the fans start on the CPU, bridge, and AGP card.
>>
>> A couple of seconds later the motherboard speaker emits a continuous
>> tone, and four distinct beeps.
>>
>> The PC then shuts down.
>>
>> I have tried removing various devices all have no effect. I have
>> reseated all the boards, and memory, and have changed the CPU heatsink
>> and fan. All had no effect.
>>
>> The BIOS on the motherboard is Award.
>>
>> Reading other messages it seems the fan speed detection might be an
>> issue, but how can I disable this function when the machine will not
>> boot up to allow me access to the BIOS. If I reset the BIOS using the
>> board jumper will this disable or enable the fan speed detection?
>>
>> Please can anyone advise if I am heading in the right direction, and
>> any other solutions I should try.
>>
>> Thank you.
>



patrickp

patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 2, 2004 7:41:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

Thank you for all the guidance, the CPU fan speed was the problem in
this case. After reading through the motherboard manual in detail, I
learned that it is critical which fan header the CPU cooling fan is
plugged into. The CPU cooling fan must be connected to fan header FAN1
(I had used FAN2)as this sends a signal to say fan cooling speed is
adequate. Once plugged in here all was well.

Thanks again for the pointers...
!