What is dual channel mode?

What type of MB support it?

Can ALL rams be run in dual-channel mode?

How to check if it's enabled or not? From windows?
7 answers Last reply
More about what dual channel mode

    dual channel mode is sort of like the concept of raid 0 for hard drives,
    only for accessing ram. the concept is that is it faster to read from and
    write to two channels at the same time (bigger pipe) then it is to do the
    same operations from one channel (smaller pipe).

    there are a number of ways to tell if dual channel is enabled one of which
    is to look at the POST screen and most bios's will declare "Dual Channel
    Mode Enabled" at POST if it is enabled.

    there is an app called CPU-Z that can tell you if dual channel mode is
    enabled on many boards and that runs at the OS level. I believe Sandra will
    also tell you.

    I have no idea what mobo's out there support dual channel but I am sure
    there are a lot of them since that seems to be one of the newer performance
    gain techniques.

    examples would be the 875 and 865 chipsets and many more.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 130,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    "Asestar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t . n o> wrote in message
    > What is dual channel mode?
    >
    > What type of MB support it?
    >
    > Can ALL rams be run in dual-channel mode?
    >
    > How to check if it's enabled or not? From windows?

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    As far a s I know from Athlon XP, dual channel mode gives you about 5%
    faster memory transfers over single channel mode (due that Athlon XP is only
    DDR processor). I've got 2x512 MB running single channel which gives 1 GB of
    total memory (since dual channel would give only 512 MB). The cost for those
    5% is too high. I don't give a f... for those eg. 2625 over 2500 MB/s
    (ddr333)

    "TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> wrote in message
    > dual channel mode is sort of like the concept of raid 0 for hard drives,
    > only for accessing ram. the concept is that is it faster to read from and
    > write to two channels at the same time (bigger pipe) then it is to do the
    > same operations from one channel (smaller pipe).
    >
    > there are a number of ways to tell if dual channel is enabled one of which
    > is to look at the POST screen and most bios's will declare "Dual Channel
    > Mode Enabled" at POST if it is enabled.
    >
    > there is an app called CPU-Z that can tell you if dual channel mode is
    > enabled on many boards and that runs at the OS level. I believe Sandra
    will
    > also tell you.
    >
    > I have no idea what mobo's out there support dual channel but I am sure
    > there are a lot of them since that seems to be one of the newer
    performance
    > gain techniques.
    >
    > examples would be the 875 and 865 chipsets and many more.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Thomas Geery
    > Network+ certified
    >
    > ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    > ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror <----- Cable modem IP
    > This IP is dynamic so it *could* change!...
    > over 130,000 FTP users served!
    > ^^^^^^^
    >

    > "Asestar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t . n o> wrote in message
    > > What is dual channel mode?
    > >
    > > What type of MB support it?
    > >
    > > Can ALL rams be run in dual-channel mode?
    > >
    > > How to check if it's enabled or not? From windows?

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    In article <WXGlc.2027$37.281316@news.siol.net>, johnny.smithelsson@siol.net
    says...
    <As far a s I know from Athlon XP, dual channel mode gives you about 5%
    <faster memory transfers over single channel mode (due that Athlon XP is only
    <DDR processor). I've got 2x512 MB running single channel which gives 1 GB of
    <total memory (since dual channel would give only 512 MB). The cost for those
    <5% is too high. I don't give a f... for those eg. 2625 over 2500 MB/s
    <(ddr333)
    <
    <snip>

    Huh? I've got 2x512MB = 1GB running dual channel no problem. What are you
    talking about? Aida32 memory read is 2935MB/s, write is 1199MB/s DDR 400
    FSB 200MHz Timings 2.5,3,3,7. CPU at 12x200.

    Bill
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Dual channel means thar BW should be doubled: eg. PC2700 (DDR333) in single
    channel mode achieves 2700 MB/s theoretically. In dual channel mode BW
    should be at max. 5.4 GB/s!
    Tested with Sandra 2004.

    This is similar like pentium 3 processors with DDR SDRAM: BW gain is nothing
    more than 5% over SDR SDRAM. Why? Because Intel P3 is not a DDR processor.
    Likewise Athlon Barton can't handle dual channel DDR efficiently. It's not
    designed especially for dual channel operation.

    "bill" <spamtrap@tinlc.lumbercartel.com> wrote in message
    > In article <WXGlc.2027$37.281316@news.siol.net>,
    johnny.smithelsson@siol.net
    > says...
    > <As far a s I know from Athlon XP, dual channel mode gives you about 5%
    > <faster memory transfers over single channel mode (due that Athlon XP is
    only
    > <DDR processor). I've got 2x512 MB running single channel which gives 1 GB
    of
    > <total memory (since dual channel would give only 512 MB). The cost for
    those
    > <5% is too high. I don't give a f... for those eg. 2625 over 2500 MB/s
    > <(ddr333)
    > <
    > <snip>
    >
    > Huh? I've got 2x512MB = 1GB running dual channel no problem. What are you
    > talking about? Aida32 memory read is 2935MB/s, write is 1199MB/s DDR 400
    > FSB 200MHz Timings 2.5,3,3,7. CPU at 12x200.
    >
    > Bill
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    What AMD processor IS designed for dual channel operation??

    DDDD

    "John Smith" <johnny.smithelsson@siol.net> wrote in message
    > Dual channel means thar BW should be doubled: eg. PC2700 (DDR333) in
    single
    > channel mode achieves 2700 MB/s theoretically. In dual channel mode BW
    > should be at max. 5.4 GB/s!
    > Tested with Sandra 2004.
    >
    > This is similar like pentium 3 processors with DDR SDRAM: BW gain is
    nothing
    > more than 5% over SDR SDRAM. Why? Because Intel P3 is not a DDR processor.
    > Likewise Athlon Barton can't handle dual channel DDR efficiently. It's not
    > designed especially for dual channel operation.
    >
    > "bill" <spamtrap@tinlc.lumbercartel.com> wrote in message
    > > In article <WXGlc.2027$37.281316@news.siol.net>,
    > johnny.smithelsson@siol.net
    > > says...
    > > <As far a s I know from Athlon XP, dual channel mode gives you about 5%
    > > <faster memory transfers over single channel mode (due that Athlon XP is
    > only
    > > <DDR processor). I've got 2x512 MB running single channel which gives 1
    GB
    > of
    > > <total memory (since dual channel would give only 512 MB). The cost for
    > those
    > > <5% is too high. I don't give a f... for those eg. 2625 over 2500 MB/s
    > > <(ddr333)
    > > <
    > > <snip>
    > >
    > > Huh? I've got 2x512MB = 1GB running dual channel no problem. What are
    you
    > > talking about? Aida32 memory read is 2935MB/s, write is 1199MB/s DDR 400
    > > FSB 200MHz Timings 2.5,3,3,7. CPU at 12x200.
    > >
    > > Bill

  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    In article <GdKlc.2064$37.283038@news.siol.net>, johnny.smithelsson@siol.net
    says...
    <Dual channel means thar BW should be doubled: eg. PC2700 (DDR333) in single
    <channel mode achieves 2700 MB/s theoretically.
    <snip>

    Yup, I understand that part. It was where you said "
    < I've got 2x512 MB running single channel which gives 1 GB
    < of total memory (since dual channel would give only 512 MB). The cost for
    < those 5% is too high. I don't give a f... for those eg. 2625 over 2500 MB/s
    < (ddr333)"
    that confused me.

    It looks like your saying that running in dual channel mode decreases your
    memory by one half. That is what I'm confused about. Everything I've got here
    says I've got one gig of ram whether I configure it as single channel or dual
    channel. Yes, I get a small increase in throughput in dual channel. Since it
    costs me nothing to more to run in dual channel over single channel, I'll take
    the 3~4 percent gain. Why not? It's free.

    Bill
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    > As far a s I know from Athlon XP, dual channel mode gives you about 5%
    > faster memory transfers over single channel mode (due that Athlon XP is
    only
    > DDR processor). I've got 2x512 MB running single channel which gives 1 GB
    of
    > total memory (since dual channel would give only 512 MB). The cost for
    those
    > 5% is too high. I don't give a f... for those eg. 2625 over 2500 MB/s
    > (ddr333)

    "(since dual channel would give only 512 MB)" - wtf? completely untrue. As
    someone else has already said - dual channel is a little like a raid 0 disk
    array - i.e. data striping across memory modules - this doesn't halve your
    total memory, that would be like a raid 1 or mirrored array.

Support Dual Channel Motherboards