What is dual channel mode?

What type of MB support it?

Can ALL rams be run in dual-channel mode?

How to check if it's enabled or not? From windows?

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

dual channel mode is sort of like the concept of raid 0 for hard drives,
only for accessing ram. the concept is that is it faster to read from and
write to two channels at the same time (bigger pipe) then it is to do the
same operations from one channel (smaller pipe).

there are a number of ways to tell if dual channel is enabled one of which
is to look at the POST screen and most bios's will declare "Dual Channel
Mode Enabled" at POST if it is enabled.

there is an app called CPU-Z that can tell you if dual channel mode is
enabled on many boards and that runs at the OS level. I believe Sandra will
also tell you.

I have no idea what mobo's out there support dual channel but I am sure
there are a lot of them since that seems to be one of the newer performance
gain techniques.

examples would be the 875 and 865 chipsets and many more.

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
over 130,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

"Asestar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t . n o> wrote in message
> What is dual channel mode?
>
> What type of MB support it?
>
> Can ALL rams be run in dual-channel mode?
>
> How to check if it's enabled or not? From windows?

As far a s I know from Athlon XP, dual channel mode gives you about 5%
faster memory transfers over single channel mode (due that Athlon XP is only
DDR processor). I've got 2x512 MB running single channel which gives 1 GB of
total memory (since dual channel would give only 512 MB). The cost for those
5% is too high. I don't give a f... for those eg. 2625 over 2500 MB/s
(ddr333)

"TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net> wrote in message
> dual channel mode is sort of like the concept of raid 0 for hard drives,
> only for accessing ram. the concept is that is it faster to read from and
> write to two channels at the same time (bigger pipe) then it is to do the
> same operations from one channel (smaller pipe).
>
> there are a number of ways to tell if dual channel is enabled one of which
> is to look at the POST screen and most bios's will declare "Dual Channel
> Mode Enabled" at POST if it is enabled.
>
> there is an app called CPU-Z that can tell you if dual channel mode is
> enabled on many boards and that runs at the OS level. I believe Sandra
will
> also tell you.
>
> I have no idea what mobo's out there support dual channel but I am sure
> there are a lot of them since that seems to be one of the newer
performance
> gain techniques.
>
> examples would be the 875 and 865 chipsets and many more.
>
> --
>
> Thomas Geery
> Network+ certified
>
> ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
> ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror <----- Cable modem IP
> This IP is dynamic so it *could* change!...
> over 130,000 FTP users served!
> ^^^^^^^
>

> "Asestar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t . n o> wrote in message
> > What is dual channel mode?
> >
> > What type of MB support it?
> >
> > Can ALL rams be run in dual-channel mode?
> >
> > How to check if it's enabled or not? From windows?

bill

In article <WXGlc.2027$37.281316@news.siol.net>, johnny.smithelsson@siol.net
says...
<As far a s I know from Athlon XP, dual channel mode gives you about 5%
<faster memory transfers over single channel mode (due that Athlon XP is only
<DDR processor). I've got 2x512 MB running single channel which gives 1 GB of
<total memory (since dual channel would give only 512 MB). The cost for those
<5% is too high. I don't give a f... for those eg. 2625 over 2500 MB/s
<(ddr333)
<
<snip>

Huh? I've got 2x512MB = 1GB running dual channel no problem. What are you
talking about? Aida32 memory read is 2935MB/s, write is 1199MB/s DDR 400
FSB 200MHz Timings 2.5,3,3,7. CPU at 12x200.

Bill

Dual channel means thar BW should be doubled: eg. PC2700 (DDR333) in single
channel mode achieves 2700 MB/s theoretically. In dual channel mode BW
should be at max. 5.4 GB/s!
Tested with Sandra 2004.

This is similar like pentium 3 processors with DDR SDRAM: BW gain is nothing
more than 5% over SDR SDRAM. Why? Because Intel P3 is not a DDR processor.
Likewise Athlon Barton can't handle dual channel DDR efficiently. It's not
designed especially for dual channel operation.

"bill" <spamtrap@tinlc.lumbercartel.com> wrote in message
> In article <WXGlc.2027$37.281316@news.siol.net>,
johnny.smithelsson@siol.net
> says...
> <As far a s I know from Athlon XP, dual channel mode gives you about 5%
> <faster memory transfers over single channel mode (due that Athlon XP is
only
> <DDR processor). I've got 2x512 MB running single channel which gives 1 GB
of
> <total memory (since dual channel would give only 512 MB). The cost for
those
> <5% is too high. I don't give a f... for those eg. 2625 over 2500 MB/s
> <(ddr333)
> <
> <snip>
>
> Huh? I've got 2x512MB = 1GB running dual channel no problem. What are you
> talking about? Aida32 memory read is 2935MB/s, write is 1199MB/s DDR 400
> FSB 200MHz Timings 2.5,3,3,7. CPU at 12x200.
>
> Bill

What AMD processor IS designed for dual channel operation??

DDDD

"John Smith" <johnny.smithelsson@siol.net> wrote in message
> Dual channel means thar BW should be doubled: eg. PC2700 (DDR333) in
single
> channel mode achieves 2700 MB/s theoretically. In dual channel mode BW
> should be at max. 5.4 GB/s!
> Tested with Sandra 2004.
>
> This is similar like pentium 3 processors with DDR SDRAM: BW gain is
nothing
> more than 5% over SDR SDRAM. Why? Because Intel P3 is not a DDR processor.
> Likewise Athlon Barton can't handle dual channel DDR efficiently. It's not
> designed especially for dual channel operation.
>
> "bill" <spamtrap@tinlc.lumbercartel.com> wrote in message
> > In article <WXGlc.2027$37.281316@news.siol.net>,
> johnny.smithelsson@siol.net
> > says...
> > <As far a s I know from Athlon XP, dual channel mode gives you about 5%
> > <faster memory transfers over single channel mode (due that Athlon XP is
> only
> > <DDR processor). I've got 2x512 MB running single channel which gives 1
GB
> of
> > <total memory (since dual channel would give only 512 MB). The cost for
> those
> > <5% is too high. I don't give a f... for those eg. 2625 over 2500 MB/s
> > <(ddr333)
> > <
> > <snip>
> >
> > Huh? I've got 2x512MB = 1GB running dual channel no problem. What are
you
> > talking about? Aida32 memory read is 2935MB/s, write is 1199MB/s DDR 400
> > FSB 200MHz Timings 2.5,3,3,7. CPU at 12x200.
> >
> > Bill

bill

In article <GdKlc.2064$37.283038@news.siol.net>, johnny.smithelsson@siol.net
says...
<Dual channel means thar BW should be doubled: eg. PC2700 (DDR333) in single
<channel mode achieves 2700 MB/s theoretically.
<snip>

Yup, I understand that part. It was where you said "
< I've got 2x512 MB running single channel which gives 1 GB
< of total memory (since dual channel would give only 512 MB). The cost for
< those 5% is too high. I don't give a f... for those eg. 2625 over 2500 MB/s
< (ddr333)"
that confused me.

It looks like your saying that running in dual channel mode decreases your
memory by one half. That is what I'm confused about. Everything I've got here
says I've got one gig of ram whether I configure it as single channel or dual
channel. Yes, I get a small increase in throughput in dual channel. Since it
costs me nothing to more to run in dual channel over single channel, I'll take
the 3~4 percent gain. Why not? It's free.

Bill

> As far a s I know from Athlon XP, dual channel mode gives you about 5%
> faster memory transfers over single channel mode (due that Athlon XP is
only
> DDR processor). I've got 2x512 MB running single channel which gives 1 GB
of
> total memory (since dual channel would give only 512 MB). The cost for
those
> 5% is too high. I don't give a f... for those eg. 2625 over 2500 MB/s
> (ddr333)

"(since dual channel would give only 512 MB)" - wtf? completely untrue. As
someone else has already said - dual channel is a little like a raid 0 disk
array - i.e. data striping across memory modules - this doesn't halve your
total memory, that would be like a raid 1 or mirrored array.

TRENDING THREADS