Changing capacitors on Abit BE6-ll, which component value ?

jk

Hi

Since this is a common problem I ask, how many Farad ?
Are there more than one size ?

I just bought this motherboard on ebay.co.uk
It was sould very cheap as 'Not tested'
Ordinary be6-ll version 1.0

I see severe stability problems with it.

If I boot on a floppy, it might boot. But if I repeat a 'Dir' on the
floppy, it passes slower and slower, and then the motherboard locks,
and the screen signal disappears.
Sometimes it does not even pass the boot. It seems to behave slightly
better when I start with a cold system.

The hardware monitor shows a rather high cpu temp for 450 MHz P3 of
50C.
But I cool it efficiently with a 120 mm fan.

I have tried:

pci graphics, agp graphics, several ram combinations such as slot1
alone, slot2 alone, slot3 alone, and several ram pieces.

I have even tried fsb 66 (with appropiate dividers). I have tried
dipswitch setup as well as softmenu.

Any ideas ? and which capacitors to buy ?

thanking you in advance

John

JK wrote:
> Hi
>
> Since this is a common problem I ask, how many Farad ?
> Are there more than one size ?
>
> I just bought this motherboard on ebay.co.uk
> It was sould very cheap as 'Not tested'
> Ordinary be6-ll version 1.0
>
> I see severe stability problems with it.
>
> If I boot on a floppy, it might boot. But if I repeat a 'Dir' on the
> floppy, it passes slower and slower, and then the motherboard locks,
> and the screen signal disappears.
> Sometimes it does not even pass the boot. It seems to behave slightly
> better when I start with a cold system.
>
> The hardware monitor shows a rather high cpu temp for 450 MHz P3 of
> 50C.
> But I cool it efficiently with a 120 mm fan.
>
> I have tried:
>
> pci graphics, agp graphics, several ram combinations such as slot1
> alone, slot2 alone, slot3 alone, and several ram pieces.
>
> I have even tried fsb 66 (with appropiate dividers). I have tried
> dipswitch setup as well as softmenu.
>
> Any ideas ? and which capacitors to buy ?
>
> thanking you in advance
>
> John

Best bet is to replace all of the large caps on the board. As I
remember, it's about 20 caps.

Take a look in BIOS at the voltages. Wildly changing values is
another indicator of failing caps.

If you don't have the tools and skills to change the caps, I
recommend you send the board to Gary (Homie). The parts alone
will cost about $20 ($25 is often a minimum order) and the
work is time consuming if you lack the proper tools.

morgan

With them being sold as cheap as this...
http://tinyurl.com/3hdc8
....The option to replace the Caps might not be the one that you decide to
do.

But check out...
http://www.motherboardrepair.com/
As you might find the information that you need, if the replacement of the
caps is something that you want to do.

Someone with experience might be able to offer another suggestion...?

--
Regards

Morgan

Hard Drive noise a problem....?

www.flyinglizard.freeserve.co.uk

jk

On Mon, 03 May 2004 11:12:35 GMT, "Tim R." <spam-tkr@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Best bet is to replace all of the large caps on the board. As I
>remember, it's about 20 caps.
>
>Take a look in BIOS at the voltages. Wildly changing values is
>another indicator of failing caps.
>
>If you don't have the tools and skills to change the caps, I
>recommend you send the board to Gary (Homie). The parts alone
>will cost about $20 ($25 is often a minimum order) and the
>work is time consuming if you lack the proper tools.

Well, 20 capacitors for almost 1 dollar each, and postage to another
country (I am located in Denmark). I think it is cheaper to find
another abit slot1 board. I want a BX chipset board, since I intend to
play with a modified adapter I already have, for tualatin.

best regards

John

JK wrote:
> Well, 20 capacitors for almost 1 dollar each, and postage to another
> country (I am located in Denmark). I think it is cheaper to find
> another abit slot1 board. I want a BX chipset board, since I intend to
> play with a modified adapter I already have, for tualatin.

Look for Big Badger, this NG ... in the UK.
Homie's UK equiv.

Qed.

jk

On Mon, 3 May 2004 14:48:44 +0100, "Morgan" <morgan@home.net> wrote:

>But check out...
>http://www.motherboardrepair.com/
>As you might find the information that you need, if the replacement of the
>caps is something that you want to do.

thank you !

At that link I see this specification:

http://www.motherboardrepair.com/index.php?sec=capkit&kit=be612

Are the specs: 1500, 1200 and 1000 micro-Farad ?

Is the type electrolytics or which type ?

TIA

John

morgan

> http://www.motherboardrepair.com/index.php?sec=capkit&kit=be612
>

> Are the specs: 1500, 1200 and 1000 micro-Farad ?
>
> Is the type electrolytics or which type ?

I do not have the skill, nor the knowledge to help, you but I do know that
if you mailed Homie he will be able to advice you. Equally, as it has been
mentioned already, there is Bigbadger in the UK but AFAIK he does not have a
website although he does post here quite often and hopefully should see your
plea for help.

Good luck

--
Regards

Morgan

Hard Drive noise a problem....?

www.flyinglizard.freeserve.co.uk

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

see Homie's site:
--
Homie and BigBadger repair boards and have many happy
customers:

Homie (AKA Capman), in the US, at:

http://www.motherboardrepair.com/
gary@motherboardrepair.com

(look for posts from BigBadger if you're in the UK or try him at
Big_Badger@btinternet***NO-SPAM***.com with the obvious
spam protection removed...)

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
over 130,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

"JK" <junk@mail.dk> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Since this is a common problem I ask, how many Farad ?
> Are there more than one size ?
>
> I just bought this motherboard on ebay.co.uk
> It was sould very cheap as 'Not tested'
> Ordinary be6-ll version 1.0
>
> I see severe stability problems with it.
>
> If I boot on a floppy, it might boot. But if I repeat a 'Dir' on the
> floppy, it passes slower and slower, and then the motherboard locks,
> and the screen signal disappears.
> Sometimes it does not even pass the boot. It seems to behave slightly
> better when I start with a cold system.
>
> The hardware monitor shows a rather high cpu temp for 450 MHz P3 of
> 50C.
> But I cool it efficiently with a 120 mm fan.
>
> I have tried:
>
> pci graphics, agp graphics, several ram combinations such as slot1
> alone, slot2 alone, slot3 alone, and several ram pieces.
>
> I have even tried fsb 66 (with appropiate dividers). I have tried
> dipswitch setup as well as softmenu.
>
> Any ideas ? and which capacitors to buy ?
>
> thanking you in advance
>
> John

jk

On Mon, 3 May 2004 15:13:05 +0100, "Morgan" <morgan@home.net> wrote:

>> http://www.motherboardrepair.com/index.php?sec=capkit&kit=be612
>>

>> Are the specs: 1500, 1200 and 1000 micro-Farad ?
>>
>> Is the type electrolytics or which type ?
>

>I do not have the skill, nor the knowledge to help, you but I do know that
>if you mailed Homie he will be able to advice you. Equally, as it has been
>mentioned already, there is Bigbadger in the UK but AFAIK he does not have a
>website although he does post here quite often and hopefully should see your
>plea for help.
>
>Good luck

Thank you !
Well, I am an engineer, and I believe they are electrolytics. That is
why they have limited lifetime. I will look at the prices at a local
store, - and maybe give it up, if they are too expensive.
The question is also which voltage they should be suited for.

best regards

John

On Mon, 03 May 2004 14:54:46 +0200, JK <junk@mail.dk> wrote:

>On Mon, 03 May 2004 11:12:35 GMT, "Tim R." <spam-tkr@comcast.net>
>wrote:
>

>>Best bet is to replace all of the large caps on the board. As I
>>remember, it's about 20 caps.
>>
>>Take a look in BIOS at the voltages. Wildly changing values is
>>another indicator of failing caps.
>>
>>If you don't have the tools and skills to change the caps, I
>>recommend you send the board to Gary (Homie). The parts alone
>>will cost about $20 ($25 is often a minimum order) and the
>>work is time consuming if you lack the proper tools.
>
>Well, 20 capacitors for almost 1 dollar each, and postage to another
>country (I am located in Denmark). I think it is cheaper to find
>another abit slot1 board. I want a BX chipset board, since I intend to
>play with a modified adapter I already have, for tualatin.
>
>best regards
>
>John
Keep in mind that these slot 1 motherboards were mostly all produced in
the time the industry experienced its bad capacitor problems. Replacement
boards usually have the same bad caps as the failing boards unless they
have been repaired.

I have had a new replacement board fail in under 90 days.

My 2 cents

homie

Replace all caps rated 1000uf and above.
Use low EAR caps designed for smps.
Nichicon "PW" and Panasonic "FC" series are good replacements ............
And NO, they didn't fail because of age....

--
Mainboards, Videocards & CPU pin repair.

http://motherboardrepair.com