>Is it always necessary to clear the cmos when upgrading a processor? How
>about memory?

No its not necessary unless the CPU is not recognized correctly. I don't ever
remember having to clear the CMOS for memory.

You usually really only need to clear the CMOS if you have problems or after a
BIOS upgrade.

"PRIVATE1964" <private1964@aol.com> wrote in message
> You usually really only need to clear the CMOS if you have problems or
after a
> BIOS upgrade.

Why do you need to clear the CMOS after a BIOS upgrade ? I know it says you
have to do it in the upgrade instructions but I've done about 4 or 5 now
(currently using 22 [I think] on a NF7-S v2.0) and I've never cleared the
CMOS. Too much of a hassle clearing up room around my desk, opening up the
PC, fiddling around with jumpers and then putting it all back again.

My system has been very stable so far so just curious why CMOS needs to be
cleared.

Thanks

>Why do you need to clear the CMOS after a BIOS upgrade ? I know it says you
>have to do it in the upgrade instructions but I've done about 4 or 5 now
>(currently using 22 [I think] on a NF7-S v2.0) and I've never cleared the
>CMOS.

lol...when I answered I was gonna mention the NF7 because it doesn't seem to
need the CMOS cleared after an upgrade. I have never cleared the CMOS with my
NF7-S after any upgrade and it works fine. If I had problems with an upgrade
then I might clear it. Also when you upgrade the bios sometimes the CMOS gets
cleared with the flash program if it has the clear CMOS switch set.
I should have said with "most" motherboards you should clear the CMOS after an
upgrade or if you have any problems. It's a good idea to clear it and doesn't
hurt anything, but it's usually not necessary to do it.

PRIVATE1964 wrote:

> >Why do you need to clear the CMOS after a BIOS upgrade ? I know it says you
> >have to do it in the upgrade instructions but I've done about 4 or 5 now
> >(currently using 22 [I think] on a NF7-S v2.0) and I've never cleared the
> >CMOS.
>
> lol...when I answered I was gonna mention the NF7 because it doesn't seem to
> need the CMOS cleared after an upgrade. I have never cleared the CMOS with my
> NF7-S after any upgrade and it works fine. If I had problems with an upgrade
> then I might clear it. Also when you upgrade the bios sometimes the CMOS gets
> cleared with the flash program if it has the clear CMOS switch set.
> I should have said with "most" motherboards you should clear the CMOS after an
> upgrade or if you have any problems. It's a good idea to clear it and doesn't
> hurt anything, but it's usually not necessary to do it.

Short Story 'long' ...

The Abit bios is typically 'modular' ... 2, to 3, 'sections' ... more of
late ???

I suspect, dont really =know= , that Sec_1 ( the backup flpy boot code )
may not =change= all that often ...
Less problem 'here' wrt "clear CMOS",
and probably is eprom chip 'write protected' .

Sec_2, howsomeever, typically gets re_bashed( coded anew ) and
=may= change the cmos chip 'mem' locations of the CMOS parameters( bit
flags ) ..
thus ... to =ensure= that you get what you 'think' you want for CMOS
entry 'settings' ... best to "clear" and re_set the CMOS parms.

Added TOO_1 ...
Sec_3 ( raid cntrlr code ) may get re_bashed and
=require= that you update the post boot 'raid' drivers, previously(
pre_flsh ) loaded.
WITS , the code 'rev' of the mod_bios aughta =match= the code 'rev'
of the loaded driver ...
the two(2) pieces of 'code' gotta fit/play together ... sftwr cnfig
control.
WRT what mod_bios/\driver "revs" will fit_play together ... I dunno.
TomG mite know.
Be 'aware' too, that TomG carrys some non_std bios revs ( section combos
)
that accomodate special situations.
Kinda makes up for his =gruff= nature & questionable character ...
GMMDT.

Added too_2 ...
clearing the ESCD mite be needed to accomodate mod_bios code changes
that
that fit/play with hdwr upgrades ... ie, new USB_1, to USB_2, 'code'
which now mite recognize a preexisting USB-2 hdwr device ...

Conservatively ...
best to
.. clear the CMOS, re_do the parms ...
.. clear the ESCD, let the next boot re_probe & re_build the ESCD tbl.
.. re_load any new driver revs, as required , after the next/new boot.
YMMV.

RTFM the 'manual' that accompanys the 'flasher',
=and= the notes that accompany the new bios "rev" . :)
The flasher 'flags' aughta do the job( hopefully ) ... no case
dismantle.

No smoke ( this 'time' ),
Qed.

"?uzzled" <not@got.one> wrote in message...
> Why do you need to clear the CMOS after a BIOS upgrade ?

Because the "soft" CMOS clear initiated by the flash often doesn't work
properly, and the result can be garbled settings, or worse, afterwards.

> Too much of a hassle clearing up room around my desk, opening up
> the PC, fiddling around with jumpers and then putting it all back again.

Put a switch on the exterior of your case then, if you flash the BIOS often
enough for the inconvenience to be an issue.

> My system has been very stable so far so just curious why CMOS
> needs to be cleared.

Can run into odd/inexplicable stability problems after a flash if you don't.
It's always a good precautionary step either way.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom