AI7 strange issues

Hi all, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I purchased a brand new AI7 this past weekend, along with a stick of
Corsair VS 2700 ddr. I had a Pentium 4, 2.4ghz processor in a really
bad ECS board that I wanted to put into something good (the ECS
wouldn't let it go over 1.8ghz.) Thus, the reason for the AI7
purchase.

Installed the hard drive (Maxtor 30gb), the CPU, the videocard, the
memory, and a PS2 keyboard. Computer would get all the way through to
Windows XP login, then suddenly restart. This happened endlessly. I
thought it might be my videocard, an Nvidia Geforce4 mx440, so I
swapped it out with another AGP videocard from an HP machine. Same
error. I swapped out the memory too, with the Hynix stick from the HP.
Same error. I flashed the bios to 1.6. Same error.

Tried reinstaling XP (found that solution here in the NG) I hooked up
my CDRom and a WD800 80gb hd (formatted). I received an error saying
that NTLAN.exe (if I remember right) was missing, so I couldn't
reinstall.

I cleared the cmos... many many times.

Next morning, powered on. Now it immediately POSTs to an error code
AF. No mention of that error code in the manual. BUT if I try again,
1/3 of the time I'll get passed the AF error and I'll get an error
telling me the Floppy drive is a problem. This happens with or without
a floppy drive hooked up!

Any thoughts? The motherboard is going to be returned tonight and I'll
try something else unless anybody has any ideas?
TIA

--Rod (Sorry for the long message!)

mem power was set to 2.5v. CPU was set to default (1.5v?) CPU was also
brought down to run at 1.8ghz with no success.

Set you vdimm to 2.7v, As this board tends to undervolt a little.

cheers

"Rod Leahman" <hiddenrod2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all, any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> I purchased a brand new AI7 this past weekend, along with a stick of
> Corsair VS 2700 ddr. I had a Pentium 4, 2.4ghz processor in a really
> bad ECS board that I wanted to put into something good (the ECS
> wouldn't let it go over 1.8ghz.) Thus, the reason for the AI7
> purchase.
>
> Installed the hard drive (Maxtor 30gb), the CPU, the videocard, the
> memory, and a PS2 keyboard. Computer would get all the way through to
> Windows XP login, then suddenly restart. This happened endlessly. I
> thought it might be my videocard, an Nvidia Geforce4 mx440, so I
> swapped it out with another AGP videocard from an HP machine. Same
> error. I swapped out the memory too, with the Hynix stick from the HP.
> Same error. I flashed the bios to 1.6. Same error.
>
> Tried reinstaling XP (found that solution here in the NG) I hooked up
> my CDRom and a WD800 80gb hd (formatted). I received an error saying
> that NTLAN.exe (if I remember right) was missing, so I couldn't
> reinstall.
>
> I cleared the cmos... many many times.
>
> Next morning, powered on. Now it immediately POSTs to an error code
> AF. No mention of that error code in the manual. BUT if I try again,
> 1/3 of the time I'll get passed the AF error and I'll get an error
> telling me the Floppy drive is a problem. This happens with or without
> a floppy drive hooked up!
>
> Any thoughts? The motherboard is going to be returned tonight and I'll
> try something else unless anybody has any ideas?
> TIA
>
> --Rod (Sorry for the long message!)
>
> mem power was set to 2.5v. CPU was set to default (1.5v?) CPU was also
> brought down to run at 1.8ghz with no success.

DNX, thanks for your response. This morning, for whatever reason, it
went past the AF error. Didn't change anything. But still rebooting
when it gets to windows, even after upping the vdimm to 2.7v. Any
other ideas?

--Rod

"DNX" <dnxdnx@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message news:<40987fb8$0$25007$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>...
> Set you vdimm to 2.7v, As this board tends to undervolt a little.
>
> cheers

Let me know what all of your settings in bios are and what items you have in
your system including PSU wattage.

I assume your 2.4 pentium is 533fsb and it isn't overclocked. Have you tried
using the safe default settings in bios?

> DNX, thanks for your response. This morning, for whatever reason, it
> went past the AF error. Didn't change anything. But still rebooting
> when it gets to windows, even after upping the vdimm to 2.7v. Any
> other ideas?
>
> --Rod
>

> "DNX" <dnxdnx@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
>> Set you vdimm to 2.7v, As this board tends to undervolt a little.
>>
>> cheers

If you haven't allready got to http://forum.abit-usa.com/ and do a search
for AI7, this will come up with a lot of info.

cheers

> Let me know what all of your settings in bios are and what items you have
> in your system including PSU wattage.
>
> I assume your 2.4 pentium is 533fsb and it isn't overclocked. Have you
> tried using the safe default settings in bios?
>
> cheers
>
> "Rod Leahman" <hiddenrod2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> DNX, thanks for your response. This morning, for whatever reason, it
>> went past the AF error. Didn't change anything. But still rebooting
>> when it gets to windows, even after upping the vdimm to 2.7v. Any
>> other ideas?
>>
>> --Rod
>>

>> "DNX" <dnxdnx@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
>>> Set you vdimm to 2.7v, As this board tends to undervolt a little.
>>>
>>> cheers

DNX,

Here're my settings:

CPU is p4 2.4 w/ 512k cache. I don't know if it's 533fsb.

(from the softmenu):
CPU Operating speed 2400(133)
Ext. Clock (CPU/AGP/PCI) 136/66/33MHz
Estimated new CPU Clock: 2448Mhz
N/B Strap CPU as: By CPU
DRAM Ratio (CPU:DRAM) By SPD
Fixed AGP?PCI Frequency: 66/33MHz

CPU Power Supply: User Defined
- CPU Core Voltage: 1.5500v
DDR Voltage: 2.70v
AGP VDDQ Voltage: 1.65v

I admit I don't know what most of this stuff means. I swapped the
board yesterday... the new one's not hanging at AF post code anymore
but still reboots immediately upon entering Windows XP.

Any thoughts? I really appreciate your help. I'm at the stage where
I'm ready to return it and try a completely different board, maybe not
ABIT. I can't shake the feeling that I'm doing somethingwrong here,
though.

--Rod

p.s., yes looked through the forums. Saw some people with the same
issue. No resolution. Thanks for the suggestion.