anybody using SATA RAID 0 on a max 3 motherboard ?????

i am interested in your bench scores if so

i am currently running 2 x 80 gig western digital 7200rpm (8mb cache)
on a at7 max2 in raid 0

i am wondering if it would be worth the upgrade
i had in mind 2 x 10,000rpm western digital raptors in a raid 0 array
SATA

anybody else got this kind of setup ?

thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about anybody sata raid motherboard

    "Michael John Tranter" <m.tranter@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >i am interested in your bench scores if so
    >
    > i am currently running 2 x 80 gig western digital 7200rpm (8mb cache)
    > on a at7 max2 in raid 0

    Parallel ATA yes?

    > i am wondering if it would be worth the upgrade i had in
    > mind 2 x 10,000rpm western digital raptors in a raid 0
    > array SATA

    There's no point changing your board simply to run S-ATA drives, as this
    technology is not in itself a speed boost. If you want Raptors, get them by
    all means, but unless you have another reason to want to upgrade the board,
    get parallel ATA drives and stick with your AT7.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    On Thu, 6 May 2004 04:08:43 +0100, in alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit
    you wrote:

    >"Michael John Tranter" <m.tranter@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >>i am interested in your bench scores if so
    >>
    >> i am currently running 2 x 80 gig western digital 7200rpm (8mb cache)
    >> on a at7 max2 in raid 0
    >
    >Parallel ATA yes?

    yes parallel ata

    >> i am wondering if it would be worth the upgrade i had in
    >> mind 2 x 10,000rpm western digital raptors in a raid 0
    >> array SATA
    >
    >There's no point changing your board simply to run S-ATA drives, as this
    >technology is not in itself a speed boost. If you want Raptors, get them by
    >all means, but unless you have another reason to want to upgrade the board,
    >get parallel ATA drives and stick with your AT7.

    its just that i see in sisoft sandra that these drives in a raid 0 are
    nearly 3 times faster !!!

    can i run them on my machine ???????

    i have sata interfaces but can i do raid on them ???

    thanks
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    "Michael John Tranter" wrote in message..
    > its just that i see in sisoft sandra that these drives in a raid 0 are
    > nearly 3 times faster !!!

    But what do you actually *do* with your computer? If you bought it to run
    hard disk benchmarks, or for some specific tasks (e.g. file/video server,
    video editing etc.) where hard disk subsystem performance is paramount, then
    you might benefit from adding a couple of these drives to your system. If
    OTOH you just juse it for general Windows computing, you are likely to be
    disappointed by the barely noticeable performance improvement this hardware
    change will bring about.

    > can i run them on my machine ???????
    > i have sata interfaces but can i do raid on them ???

    Oops, forget what I said previously. I was assuming that like the rest of
    the WD range, the Raptors were available in parallel ATA configuration as
    well as S-ATA. Not the case it seems.

    The point remains that if your only reason to change your system
    configuration is because you noticed these drives benchmark higher in
    Sandra, that alone is no reason to change your system configuration. Apart
    from anything else, the Raptor's I/O performance isn't that far in front of
    the best 7200rpm drives, which are available in a much wider range of
    capacities. You'd have to ask yourself whether it'd be worth spending a load
    of money upgrading to 36 or 74GB drives when for the same money you could be
    looking at 250GB 7200rpm units.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom