Bios/boot problem

Hello everyone.

I would appreciate some guidance with a problem I am having booting my
system. This has only started in the last month or so since I moved from one
house to another and set the computer up again when we were moved in. It was
packed up for about 2 months and is now in a colder location (basement) than
it was before (upstairs office). Here is what is happening:

When I power up the system appears (as far as I can tell from the panel
lights and noise) to start normally, but either nothing appears on the
screen or the initial boot screen appears and remains on the screen. When I
press the reset button everything goes well about 70 % of the time -- the
other 30% of the time two resets are required. Warm boots are no problem and
all my applications etc seem to work normally. The problem started
intermittently - it now happens every time I power on.

I have checked the connections to the mother board (IDE cables, floppy, CD
burner and PCI modem - I have integrated graphics, sound and NIC) and have
found no problems. The bios is AMI. The system is less than two years old
and is running Windows XP home. There are no viruses, trojans etc.

Does anyone have any ideas where I should go next in trying to diagnose this
problem. I am concerned that a major hardware failure of some sort is
imminent. Naturally, I have a current backup.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Mike
4 answers Last reply
More about bios boot problem

    Open the box, with the power off of course, and check for loose wires, both
    signal wires and power wires. Some PC connectors are very tight, but others
    are loose and could have been affected by the move. Vacuuming the insde of
    the PC might also be a good idea. But, as always, be careful of static
    electricity.
    "Mike" <mikehewson@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > Hello everyone.
    >
    > I would appreciate some guidance with a problem I am having booting my
    > system. This has only started in the last month or so since I moved from
    one
    > house to another and set the computer up again when we were moved in. It
    was
    > packed up for about 2 months and is now in a colder location (basement)
    than
    > it was before (upstairs office). Here is what is happening:
    >
    > When I power up the system appears (as far as I can tell from the panel
    > lights and noise) to start normally, but either nothing appears on the
    > screen or the initial boot screen appears and remains on the screen. When
    > press the reset button everything goes well about 70 % of the time -- the
    > other 30% of the time two resets are required. Warm boots are no problem
    and
    > all my applications etc seem to work normally. The problem started
    > intermittently - it now happens every time I power on.
    >
    > I have checked the connections to the mother board (IDE cables, floppy,
    CD
    > burner and PCI modem - I have integrated graphics, sound and NIC) and have
    > found no problems. The bios is AMI. The system is less than two years old
    > and is running Windows XP home. There are no viruses, trojans etc.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas where I should go next in trying to diagnose
    this
    > problem. I am concerned that a major hardware failure of some sort is
    > imminent. Naturally, I have a current backup.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    >
    > Mike

    It could be moisture condensation, try to boot it and when
    it does, leave it on for a day or two to dry out. While it
    is on, run some troubleshooting and benchmark programs to
    test the computer.
    SiSoft Sandra is free, about a 10 MB download. It has a
    "burn-in" module and other tests.

    "Mike" <mikehewson@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    | Hello everyone.
    |
    | I would appreciate some guidance with a problem I am
    having booting my
    | system. This has only started in the last month or so
    since I moved from one
    | house to another and set the computer up again when we
    were moved in. It was
    | packed up for about 2 months and is now in a colder
    location (basement) than
    | it was before (upstairs office). Here is what is
    happening:

    | When I power up the system appears (as far as I can tell
    from the panel
    | lights and noise) to start normally, but either nothing
    appears on the
    | screen or the initial boot screen appears and remains on
    the screen. When I
    | press the reset button everything goes well about 70 % of
    the time -- the
    | other 30% of the time two resets are required. Warm boots
    are no problem and
    | all my applications etc seem to work normally. The problem
    started
    | intermittently - it now happens every time I power on.
    |
    | I have checked the connections to the mother board (IDE
    cables, floppy, CD
    | burner and PCI modem - I have integrated graphics, sound
    and NIC) and have
    | found no problems. The bios is AMI. The system is less
    than two years old
    | and is running Windows XP home. There are no viruses,
    trojans etc.

    | Does anyone have any ideas where I should go next in
    trying to diagnose this
    | problem. I am concerned that a major hardware failure of
    some sort is
    | imminent. Naturally, I have a current backup.
    |
    | Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    |
    | Mike

    I think it is probably the hard drive. If the bearings are getting a little
    worn it probably comes up to speed slowly. Being packed up for two months
    added to the problem. From a cold boot the drive is not up to speed when
    Windows tries to load; if you reset it, the disk comes up to speed quicker
    since it was just running. And that's why warm boots are OK. Is your hard
    drive and BIOS SMART capable? Look in the BIOS to see if you can enable
    SMART, it will do a check of the hard drive and give a report. Do this when
    the computer is cold, such as being off for at least overnight.

    --
    Steve C. Ray
    (Replace "mail" with "36db"
> [...]

    > press the reset button everything goes well about 70 % of the time -- the
    > other 30% of the time two resets are required. Warm boots are no problem
    and
    > all my applications etc seem to work normally. The problem started
    > intermittently - it now happens every time I power on.
    >
    > I have checked the connections to the mother board (IDE cables, floppy,
    CD
    > burner and PCI modem - I have integrated graphics, sound and NIC) and have
    > found no problems. The bios is AMI. The system is less than two years old
    > and is running Windows XP home. There are no viruses, trojans etc.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas where I should go next in trying to diagnose
    this
    > problem. I am concerned that a major hardware failure of some sort is
    > imminent. Naturally, I have a current backup.

    Thank you Bob, Jim and Steve. I am going to try all your suggestions -- they
    make a lot of sense.

    Hopefully, in return, I will be able to provide some suggestions if you
    ever need to post here with a question.

    Regards

    Mike

Windows XP